Best sleep aid for people on Ritalin?

benadryl and melatonin. seriously though, a friend of mine used to give that to their kids every night, one of whom was on ritalin and a few other serious meds. he was messed up pretty bad with adhd. that was from age 10 on to adulthood and it didn’t seem to do any more damage than living in wv.

7 Likes

I’ve taken sleeping pills for years. Trazadone is a good option that her prescribing doctor would likely give her. Once you start using sleep aids though very hard to quit. I don’t even think I could get meaningful sleep without a pill anymore.

6 Likes

Make a plan to get off Ritalin. The lack of sleep means its working as intended.

7 Likes

couple of good bong rips os somekind of indica fine a strain that works

on another note my younger brother was on Ritalin :grin: years ago and got them thru the naval yard dispensery like 200 ata time. the entrepreneur that i am would aquire some of them to finance my cannabis . courtesy of the govt

4 Likes

Just a thought but maybe she should talk to her doctor about dosage/medication options. I think adding extra medications to cover side effects isn’t the best idea.
I’ve been on different ADHD medications throughout my life and if I wasn’t able to sleep I would talk to my doctor because that’s a pretty serious side effect.

5 Likes

Two options:

Get some serious sleep meds.

Find a stimulant with a shorter duration so it’s not so intense when you’re trying to go sleep.

7 Likes

I have combined type ADHD and take a time-released stimulant 6 days a week. “Vyvanse” It’s easier to take than immediate stimulants like Ritalin. They also have non-stimulant ADHD meds. Depends on the person’s level of need. There are much better RX out there than Ritalin. Sleep meds create a whole new set of problems. Adjust stimulant.

6 Likes

My bad everybody I should have been more specific😂 she wants to start with cannabis products because she doesn’t want to get on more medication. She basically wants to try absolutely every natural sleep aid before she turns to more meds but you guys raised a lot of great questions that I’ll run by her!

4 Likes

like it is mentioned above, a couple of tokes of an indica strain and she’ll be out.

also: Anti-Insomnia Strains - #71 by OleReynard

5 Likes

I’ve used melatonin for decades when I want to get to sleep. I prefer the sublingual ones that dissolve under the tongue but have been using 10mg regular ones that you just swallow and they work OK too.

I recently started taking Adderall I think, (Sandoz Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine XR 10mg) and that screws with my sleep. I was hoping it would help with motivation but it doesn’t seem to do anything other than give me a mild hyper-buzz like a couple shots of espresso.

Every night I also take a dose of RSO with some CBD oil both of which I make myself and that gets me woozy a couple hours after taking.

I used to have horrible insomnia until a small stroke 6 or 7 years ago and have slept well since tho it’s not an option I would recommend. :slight_smile:

Something I recently found out about and may be suffering from is Anhedonia. A lack of interest in things that used to give pleasure. Seems to fit my symptoms that have got worse over the years. This is why I’m trying the Adderall but plan to have a chat with the pharmacist as he discussed other types of the same meds that may work better and can be covered under my medical. These ones are $80/mth I’d rather not have to pay.

The only pharma meds I’ve tried for sleep where these little deep blue pills that didn’t seem to work well and left a metallic taste that lasted for 24 hours so everything I ate tasted tinny. Foggy head all the next day too. Horrible f’n things.

I’d go with the meletonin at first. Can get at any drug or health food store and don’t cost a lot. No hangover from them either. They won’t keep you asleep but help you drop off when getting to sleep is a problem or when trying to adjust your daytime hours for things like jet-lag or shift changes for work.

Good luck!

:peace:

This.

Instead perhaps microdose cannabis: Delta-9-THC vs 11-Hydroxy-THC . Eliminating Tolerance . Healing

4 Likes

RSO helps me sleep. If she’s looking for something to drop in tea, “Green Dragon” (alcohol infusion) or infused MCT oil could be dropped in a cup of tea. The oil would need to be whisked in and wouldn’t blend in unless there’s a fat like cream.

3 Likes

Ritalin purges from the body after 8 hours, tell her not to take any within 8 hours of bedtime.

I take a clonozepam at bedtime, helps with sleep.

1 Like

I take Adderall XR 10mg and find it to be not terrible for sleeping on as long as I take it at least twelve hours before bedtime. I would agree with @ColeLennon that the best approach is to adjust the dosage and type of stimulant rather than try to find a sleeping aid. When I was abusing/self-medicating my ADHD previously my experience was that Ritalin was one of the edgier ones, and that the extended release ones are overall much less crack-y feeling. That said, I definitely smoke indica before bed, so @Papalag thread @SaintAliasKnife linked to is very useful reading. My personal favorites so far in growing have been Bodhi’s Cherry Unicorn (I REALLY want to try some Cherry Lotus or the Fat Cherry DLA), Hazeman’s LA Pure Kush, and Copa Genetics Icy Grape F2, all pretty sleepy with the grape being narcotic. I suspect Black Domina to be the perfect end of day post-meds smoke for me. Tonygreen’s Gorilla Bubble is also one that slows me right down but it’s not very sleepy. You might try giving her some tincture that’s been left in the sun in a clear bottle to degrade to CBN, that’s a trick I’ve seen people talk about. Most likely she needs something with a fairly balanced ratio of THC:CBD with minors like CBN or CBG. My ADHD always responded well to sativas in the daytime, especially African hybrids (I suspect that THCV is the thing for ADHD itself) and hazes, and heavy indica at night usually earthy Afghanis or LA Kushes (same thing)

4 Likes

I use Vyvanse 30MG time released. I like my CBD CBG CBN. I am going to grow at least one clone of something this outdoor maybe Harle Tsu CBD or Pennywise. We have so much CBD hemp grown outdoors here commercially. I picked these strains up yesterday to make gummies with . I like them so much, I am picking up 1 more of each today. Pineapple Jager is basically a 7 MG CBD to 3.75 MG THC 75 gummies. I’m a big fan of any PHK parents. Sour Space Candy I just took a 7MG CBD to start my morning. Big fan of these strains like Harle Tsu and Pineapple Jager that have like 20%THC to 55% CBD. I find that the THC in these high CBD strains makes all the difference in the WORLD.

4 Likes

Yes! These are both really interesting to me, I’m planning to get some of the Norstar CBD offerings like Deadlights when I can, that one looks great:

2023 NorStar Genetics CBD Selections - Genetic Supply

2 Likes

Yeah, I use so much during the winter months. Even though our shits affordable. It’s time to grow at least 1 - 1b clone in my outdoor.

2 Likes

thumbnail_20230302_083259_1

Good morning indeed.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Nothing like a butt dart in the morning.

3 Likes

Nothing kicks your butt into gear like a drug suppository

3 Likes