Best Way to Start Small & Make High Quality seeds?

Not really sure on that exactly. Once I was harvesting seeded bud and dropped one on the floor, after hanging the plant I was able to find the seed and planted it. Nuthin happened, so I would presume it would be better to dry with the plant. Also had this happen whilst trimming dried bud, planted this bean and it sprouted, gave me some good bud too.

4 Likes

My first chunk came from results of having a super stinky male that I just didn’t have the heart to throw out. Still have several hundred of those seeds laying around somewhere.

2 Likes

You’re certainly welcome man. :pray:t4: There are a lot of documents in that zip file. There’s one on fruit breeding that’s supposed to be a classic.

I don’t have an idea about the MMH yet. I flipped the lights on those plants on 7/21, Biggus started dropping pollen on 8/3, and they’ve all got seeds forming now. When I flipped them I wrote 10/15 for the harvest date, but I think they’ll beat that. :grinning:
:guitar:

2 Likes

You bring up some excellent points that made me think my plan through a little better.

The alpha stud gives me a better chance of find an outlier that is unique. BUT if I want dependable, constant results…i need more average worker bees.

I think it goes back to having a solid goal for your breeding. I need to define my goals better.

2 Likes

Mulch can be a double edged sword- it conserves soil moisture and cools off the soil, but it also can be a hiding place for bugs and pests. I would definitely keep the grass short, and maybe use a different mulch. Not sure what native mulches you might have that repel pests. Compost might be a good compromise. Find a local place that makes it and avoid the walmart stuff if you can. I’ve had the stem borer problems before on my squash plants- and the stems looked very similar to yours with the gnarly look.

DE is non toxic and can be found cheap if you look around. They even feed it to cows since it passes through them and kills the fly larvae in the cow poop.
The more you know :grin:

Best of luck and keep us updated!
update to add-
I checked my DE and it came through a pet supply store or a feed store.
But this is it:
stgabrielorganics dot com/product/insect-dust-diatomaceous-earth
Link left cold but just copy/paste to the url bar.
$15 bucks for a big ass bag of it. Don’t pay the same amount for one of those tiny soccer mom size bags at the box box stores.

And cut some more clones!! Did you see that link to the California Cups method?? It’s just solo cups and some coco in a humidity cover.
I’m going to try that this week in a set up close to yours.

(I’m now living vicariously through your outdoor set up). :nerd_face:

2 Likes

LOL- They banned Rez??? :open_mouth:
The seeds came from just leaving a males in with the females. Could have even been several males. One pheno is super red hairy with a sour/fuel type smell. It yields well, but isn’t super potent- but still good smoke. And another one makes nice green buds, but the yields have been small.

I just hate to lose the SSDH, but I’ve had it for 5 years, had a medical issue and lost my original plants and tried to restart with the rando F1s. There’s still a lot of good stuff there, I’m hoping an outcross might find something. I have a ‘mystery’ pheno that I don’t think I’ve tried before, and it’s in the tent right now and should be ready for pollen in a week or 2. I think it came as a freebie after the seed co messed up the order ( story of my life). But I don’t recall it saying anything else. But that could be lazy labeling.

1 Like

Yeah i’m pretty sure Rez snitched a few years back & got a bunch of people caught up probably why he got banned…

Sorry to hear man from everything i’ve read and seen it is a really awesome haze I know Swe Can is doing a preservation & Seedbay has some old stock for cheap so maybe you could find that pheno you loved if you don’t find it in those f1s
https://www.seedbay.com/vendor/reservoir-seeds/

The first strain i’ve ever smoked was Sour D that diesel mouthwatering flavor was just phenomenal I hope to grow some SSSDH next year from everything I hear it’s super special.

2 Likes

Hmmm… those prices are tempting…but they’re also in Euros.
Is there a way for someone to buy the pack and send out the rest? I don’t know how you guys usually do this.
Not that I really need another SSSDH… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
What have you people done to me?

I was really impressed with the 16oz solo cup challenge…it made me wonder if I could stick a couple of 12 week haze plants in solo cups and stick them in the corner of the tent… :thinking:

4 Likes

I like that idea.

Currently Swe is buying a few packs and going to grow them out and give away the f2 sadly the shipping has been slow

why not man i’d love to see it :smiley:

2 Likes

Theres a thread around here, that has a guy finishing plants in seed starter trays. But he mentioned losing some to root rot. Make me thinks thats a little to far. Probably lost the fasting growing plants in the pile. If they need more space/time, you could do that bonsai thing to them shortly before flower and take some roots to avoid rot.
I often wonder why we dont have crappy little autoflowers with super skinny leaves. Nobody bothered to do it probably. Not ideal for growth or whatever.
Random info: I got beers going.
And, I got roots on my clones(but barely). I’m still gonna take a few more and do it right, because the tops look like trash now. I can do it better. I’ll do an update of my situation in a couple days.

1 Like

@RandomHumanoid
Why not- I need to get some cups for cloning anyway. But I need some better seed stock. I was going to let the haze go, but with passable results from a 20 oz cup, I might be able to squeeze in 1 or 2.

This blows me away.
Super Silver Haze auto in a solo cup

4 Likes

oh, before I watch that, I think I mostly cut clones to close to the node. Theres a reason they leave that extra inch or 2. The nodes are mostly starting to rot, and there are roots trying to push out of the main stem (away from the node). So I’m quite sure that was my biggest mistake.

roots aren’t pushing out the bottom of the cubes. I literally pulled a few outta the cubes to look, and see baby roots. Nothing by any node tho. I overcut.

2 Likes

maybe he grew it in the ground, chopped it, and stuck it in a solo to mess w you? hehehe. Just kiddin. Thats bad ass. Thats GOTTA be about max u can pull outta a solo. Its GOTTA be. Maybe with a drip system or hydro situation… I dont plan on getting anything that big outta solos anytime soon. good stuff. Looks edible.

2 Likes

If you pushing coco, solo cups can be a useful tool in the garden with limited space.

Imagine around 10-12 plants like this in a 2 by 3

11 Likes

that looks more reasonable. I bet the guy in the vid, cut the bottom off and hydrod it. It just seems like to much plant mass for the cup. Maybe I’m a noob talkin trash. I hope thats possible. I want it to be true.

2 Likes

fuckin hell that thing is absolutely nuts, i’ve never really tried autos but they seem interesting

2 Likes

I don’t have any interest in them personally- anyone else remember the discovery of the ruderalis plant and the FIRST time it was offered in that printed, glossy seed catalog?? 1 little plant on the side of a random road somewhere in Russia.
OK, with my old man rambling out of the way- I do think there could be some big benefits for medical patients that have limited mobility or other health issues. Same for Fem seeds.

(I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know how to make feminized seeds. I thought it was something like introducing an hour of light during the dark/bloom phase. Do you guys make your own fem’d seeds?)

1 Like

Yep, it’s actually not that hard. Spray them with Colloidal silver, which you can make yourself very easily. Honestly the hardest part is keeping up with spraying them regularly.

If you hit the search bar there’s a few threads about it, including making colloidal silver.

1 Like

Yeah started off as ditch weed huh :rofl: seeing Mephisto’s autos and just the beautiful stuff they and Roc Bud are putting out it’s quite impressive imo really came a long way in not much time… I wanna buy a pack of autos and veg like 20 photos & like 5 autos in 2 months your plants are vegged and you harvest your autos just seems wild.

I really wanna grow some fems and get them to like an S3-4 point I hear some have issues with fems but Tony from Tortured beans was discussing on icmag about how it can be a really great way to inbreed a line quickly… That hybrid vigor from those s4 crosses I think would just be perfect for something special

2 Likes