Blue Star OG pheno hunt winner in a PPK system

i recently conducted a pheno hunt of BlueStarSeedco’s cross of Blue Star x Triangle Kush. This consisted of 50 seeds of which 48 popped within 2 days. 36 were selected and of these 12 were flowered.

they all had good potency but this one has great potency and the strongest flavor profile. citrus fuel up front with a floral perfume back.

they were transplanted from 2.5 quart passive wick-fed containers into an active powered ppk system yesterday morning.

i hope you enjoy the show!

27 Likes

It’s quite enjoyable to see your gardening. Such a cool system, I dig the creative energy the approach towards selecting from a bunch of seeds. You and @Josh_Blue are awesome! Much love

3 Likes

thank you! when working with josh’s genetics the odds of finding a winner go up exponentially.

i select for vigor, culling the slower or weaker plants. the plants architecture is important to me.

one of my dislikes is plants with “busy” interiors that will require me to do a lot of extra labor thinning.

this particular plant has a very nice balance of architecture and stretching characteristics.

for indoor plants, you need a decent stretch ratio for high yields but not too much. this one has that balance.

it has a high calyx to leaf ratio which reduces trimming. i don’t use scissors for anything except cutting the flowers off the stems. i hand pick the flower leaves.

thank you again for the kind words!

5 Likes

today marks 2 weeks since the transplant so i thought i would show the progress.

both plants, then i have the reflectix covers off of the pots to check root growth.

then two of the sophisticated control module consisting of 2 of these.

https://www.amazon.com/NEARPOW-Multifunctional-Programmable-Countdown-Electrical/dp/B07QJ3K43N/ref=sr_1_3?crid=31UIGGHY3GVG0&keywords=nearpow&qid=1694222391&s=hi&sprefix=nearpow%2Ctools%2C224&sr=1-3

graph

these have repeat cycle capability and have been quite reliable. best of all, they are cheap.

one fires 2 eco 185 pumps connected to the 2 halos. they deliver 1/2 gal in 15 seconds every 2 hours. total run time 3 minutes per day.

the other fires 2 magdrive 700’s one in each pool crossing over to the other pool. they exchange 1/2 the solution in each pool every 2 hours in one minute for a total run time of 12 minutes per day. the hoses are submerged at both ends maintaining a siphon that equalizes the solution level at 3". These are 5 ft kiddie pools from walmart.

the medium is #2 perlite and has been used several times. i float it in a pool to clean it and eliminate fines.

these are 7 gal feed tubs from tractor supply.

there is approximately 6 gals of perlite and 3 lbs of worm castings in each. there is also an 18 oz solo cup full of diatomaceous earth mixed into the medium. diatomaceous earth is amorphous silicon dioxide and is plant-available and taken up by the roots.

perlite alone has no cec but these two substances provide a substantial cec so the solution is well buffered.

the mix comes out to about 30% air-filled porosity and is free-flowing yet retains water well.

there is a float valve in each pool being fed by an elevated 30-gallon Rubbermaid brute trash can.

the first 12 days i used a 1.4 ec nutrient solution and about 700 umols of light then brought the ec up to 1.8 and the light to 1000 umols. i’m giving them 6 hours on and 6 hours off around the clock but alternating so only one is on at a time but the room is never dark.

the pots are 7 inches above the bottom of the pools and with a 3" solution level there is maintained a 4" air gap between the bottom of the pots and the solution. there is a 3" diameter tube extending from the pot into the solution below. this tube is also filled with perlite and draws solution upward between top watering events. the tube positively drains the perched water table immediately after each pulsed delivery of solution leaving no standing water in the pot.

the top of the medium is 13" above the floor.

the next 3 pics show how the pots are built.

i use Jack’s 3-2-1 formula as a base with 1 ml gal of mr fulvic and a heaping tsp of kelp powder per each 30 gals. ph down is 85% phosphoric acid. ph and ec are extremely stable throughout the grow.

i do not dump any solution during a grow. it is all input only. a recirculating, closed, soilless system known as the PPK.

the lights are 1008 watts each made from household light bulbs with the diffusers cut off. in veg i run 5000k only through stretch up to the end of the third week of flower.

i then use all 2700k warm whites with incandescent bulbs to supply more dark red, far-red, and some infrared.

the last pic shows the approximate spectral distribution of the combined warm whites and the incandescents.

that’s all folks! i see i showed two pics of the same plant. just ignore one of them please!

9 Likes

today is 3 weeks since the transplant from the 2.5-quart containers to these 7-gal ones.

i’m going to flower them now. i was going to wait another week but i will be moving out of this house by the !st of december so i need them done by then.

i’ve decided to use the 12/12 schedule this time instead of the 8/16 that i used in the pheno hunt.

just a few pics to show the progress. they are visually perfect. no spots or yellowing or signs of any nutrient disorders.

i’ve taken 12 clones, 6 from each plant, from the bottom branches. they have been fed 1000 ppm or ec2 and given 1000 umols of light for the last 9 days.

they are strong, vigorous plants.

7 Likes

well, it’s time for the weekend update. my, how time flies!

this is 4 weeks from the transplant from 2.5 quart to 7 gal containers. in flower one week.

the conditions are;

light 1450-1500 umols for 12 hours = 62+ moles, no co2. all 5000k

950 ppm or ec1.9 in the reservoirs

ph 6.2

air temperature 82-84f lights on 75F lights off. RH 60-70%.

if you look closely you can see some slight leaf variegation. Josh from BlueStarSeedCo says the original blueberry displayed this.

this was the only plant to display variegation out of the 12 i flowered in the pheno hunt.

5 Likes

another week done gone! 5 weeks since transplant and end of week 2 of flower.

i’ve just finished a training session so they haven’t all turned toward the light yet.

it’s a 9-10 week strain so there is about 1.5 weeks of stretch left.

8 Likes

i don’t know how i’m doing it but i keep posting the same pics twice. how do i edit out the pics?

2 Likes

I can’t figure it out either. Pics look fanfastic at least!

2 Likes

so, it’s not just me that’s developmentally challenged!

it’s hard to see in the pics but there is slight variegation going on. it is the only plant that displayed this trait.

it is also the most potent and best tasting one by far. the potency is at the top end of the scale.

i was wondering whether any of your breeding stock displays this trait as well.

you said that DJ’s original Blueberry showed some variegation also.

do any of the other genetics involved show this or is it a freak?

4 Likes

Maybe grab another pic when you get a chance but likely its inherited from blueberry. I have a tk mom in flower now and it only has one speck of variegation. Ive noticed with some of the old chem and og cuts that variegation comes on more with stress. With blueberry it comes with extremely vigorous plants sometimes. And I personally haven’t noticed a correlation of variegation to quality. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. Gotta go by how they smoke always.

Triangle Kush mother

4 Likes

it’s very slight and seems to be more pronounced at the top of the plant exposed to the strongest light.

these all are from one plant and the bottom leaves don’t display it so it must be stress related.

4 Likes

today is the end of week 3 of flower and 6 weeks from the transplant into the system.

reservoir condidtions are 1000ppm or ec2 and ph is 6.2. water temp is 73f.

i’ve done most of the training and thinning. tomorrow i’ll change the bulbs from 5000k to 2700k and add 6 25 watt incandescents.

ooo

9 Likes

i just changed out the 5000k for the 2700k+incandescent on one of the fixtures and thought some of you might like to see the difference in color temp.

6 Likes

Beautiful plant, and i love a flat even canopy. Like a green living solar panel.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how I missed this thread.

Very cool @greyfader Your plants look great.

4 Likes

update time again! end of week 4 of flower. just a few pics to show progress.

light at 1200 umols for 12 hours. approx 50-52 mols per period. lights on room temp 82f at 55% rh

reservoir 1050 ppm at ph 6.0 temp 78f.

7 Likes

Absolutely love Josh’s work. Keepers in every pack you get from him. Never been disappointed growing his work

5 Likes

I love seeing that canopy filling in!!

2 Likes

time for the weekend update again! end of week 5 of flower.

7 Likes