Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 1)

(Sorry in advance for the lengthy & loving rant. :slight_smile: )

Yessir, ghash refers to the current 88g13hp male that b uses. I believe it’s an F3 or an F4 that he’s worked from the F1 beans that @n8tiveguy gave him. To be certain, email him or mrs. b. He’s also had a previous F3 “Deadly G” male that has since been retired, as that one was too overbearing in crosses. He also used an F3 mom in some of his crosses, but I believe she’s been retired.

The current ghash male is one of the best breeding males being used today by any breeder. Doesn’t overpower the mom, but let’s her shine through. Adds a lot of potency and dense bag appeal and yield to moms that lack. Preserves the effects from the mom, just enhances them. He’s like adding organic steroids to whatever mom he mingles with. @Torontoke introduced me to him, and spoke very highly of him. TT was right, and now I’m sold! :slight_smile:

Finding killer males is one of the things that makes bodhi so great. He recently showed a series of pics of 2nd, 3rd, and I think 4th generation males found in @Strayfox’s Iraqi line that caused a stir on IG. Because of very frosty and fat flowers on those males, a ton of haters came on and accused him of showing pics of herms and massive bug infestations. What was telling is that all of his fellow breeders’ posts were in awe of the amazing males, and they had no accusations because b was showing stable males (aside from one pic he labeled as an intersex male, which was not used).

The guy tests his males so rigorously by putting them outside with no defenses, in a wet, nasty section of his farm, to see how they handle it. He purposely stress tests them to see how they fare against mold, bugs, drought, heat, and cold. This is why the guy’s males produce consistently outstanding crosses. Quite a few people have noted how well bodhi seeds strains do when compared with other breeders’ strains outside in guerilla grows without any of the IPM and cautious environmental regulation that we put into our indoor gardens. I personally think it’s because of how rigorously bodhi tests his stuff.

It starts with testing his males extensively, working their lines through multiple generations until he finds one that passes the traits he wants to see. Then he lets them do the horizontal lambada with a bunch of known moms from his library. Then he tests select crosses himself based on his intimate knowledge of the moms.

Once he’s satisfied that the male is cooperating and facilitating the things he wants to see, he and mrs. b work on packaging several packs of each new cross, and send them to his testers, both local and around the world. There’s a ton of legwork here, too, as he allows testers to pick which strains they want to test!

He will not release a cross for sale without positive and detailed feedback from at least one tester. If he gets a mixed bag of reactions, he’ll scrap the cross or give it as a freebie, or with special instructions that it only be run outdoors (if it was weird indoors). Sometimes he doesn’t get any tester feedback, but still loves the strain due to his own testing of it, and he’ll give those as freebies, too. Sometimes if he doesn’t get any tester feedback, but thinks the strain has potential yet didn’t test it himself, he’ll wait until the next round of testers and send it out again.

There are no other breeders that I’m aware of that go through this rigorous level of testing on 100+ new strains every year. Think of the staggering about of work and organization this takes for a company run by only 2 people. The whole process takes multiple years before he’s ready to even release a single new cross for sale. It’s shockingly organized and methodical. The one thing it doesn’t allow for is chasing hype strains, but that’s also one of the things I truly respect about his work.

You can tell he and his wife are passionate about this whole thing. They raise three kids, one of which has a serious disability, while also somehow doing all the work above while keeping a huge library of hundreds of exceedingly rare moms. And they’ve done it with essentially no marketing, no advertising, no hype, no bullshit or lies or exaggerations, anywhere, EVER. Kudos to those two. They’re true heroes in the community. And they love dogs!! :heart_eyes:

Look for upcoming work with two new males, an Iraqi and a Kashmiri. Who knows how they’ll turn out, but they’re in testing now.

:peace:

51 Likes

thanks nube, I’m not on ig so that’s very interesting to hear about the iraqi males, I’d love to test some of those hybrids. You’re absolutely right about the vigor and resiliency of his hybrids for outdoor growing. also it’s confirmed by mrs. b. that the ghash label does indeed refer to the 88g13hp stud.

9 Likes

new testers

goji raspberry sharpie f2 x omg (1970’s production afghani)
and
trainwreck x ghash (88g13hashplant stud)
the small size of the seeds kinda makes me think of mexican sativa

27 Likes

Wow this plant is looking pretty exposed in its location. Pretty wild to see. Looks good though!

6 Likes

This female is the frostiest I believe out of 3 its at a friends medical grow I hooked up the seeds. He has cuttings I’m told so I’ll run her indoors next year. Smells like apple juice and is about 6 feet around and about 7 high.

10 Likes

bodhi’s Sunshine Daydream Evaluation & Smoke Report

Sunshine Daydream is Bubbashine x Appalachia.

Grow Environment

The grow pics are from day 44 at my friend’s room where she’s grown in a perpetual ebb & flow setup under HLG Quantum Board LED lighting. Here she is.​

Notes & Flowering Time

This was the only female from a whole pack of bodhi seeds. Not the famed butter or blueberry muffin cuts, but nice nonetheless, and apparently yields well. Cloned and typically harvested at day 63-67 of flowering.​

Density & Bag Appeal

7.5/10 Density is good on these 1g+ golfball nugs. Very little leaf, and quite frosty. Pretty nugs, you can tell where the sample I got came from on the plant.

Aroma Level & Description

6.5/10 Smell’s not real loud or complex out of the gate, menthol up front when opening the sampler for the first time, like a sports cream. But then dries down to a floral lime, with very mild sweetness like that of live corn tassles. At first it reminds me of NL5 from back in the day. Then the Bacardi rum in the background makes it almost like a piña colada.

Every time opening it thereafter, the bag smells like chocolate. Nothing but chocolate with hints of flowers. Hint of that same greenhouse smell shared by other samples, must be the signature smell of the grow.​

Taster Ratings & Smoke Report

7/10 Taste of chem, dryer sheets, sweet lemon, a hint of a berry in there somewhere. 2nd hit is malty, or kinda like the smell of pancakes right as they get golden. Not exactly “buttry blueberry muffins” like the famed pheno, but nods toward it. I tasted similar flavors in the Barefoot Doctor, which has SSDD as the daddy. Last hit and clearing the chamber taste kinda like a warm India Pale Ale smells. Citrusy, skunky, bright hops. Leaves a baked goods flavor in the mouth. Not quite burned, but a darker, caramelized flavor. Heavy on the chest.

6.5/10 Effects start out with relaxing pressure behind the eyes almost immediately. Feels potent but creeping. 10min in and it’s coming on strong, steadily increasing. Jittery and relaxed at the same time. Heady and visual. Rush dies down just as quickly as it came up, declining about 30min into the experience. Nice and relaxing after that, but short-lived. An hour later and it’s mostly gone.​

Medicinal Value

Not a lot on this pheno, but the butter or blueberry muffin phenos are famed for their nerve pain relief.​

Overall Impression?

She’s pleasant, but a little low volume all around. Feels like she’s going to creeper wreck you, then just kinda fades into the background. Good, not great. I have no major complaints. :slight_smile: This one’s lunchtime smoke that doesn’t reset your whole day.​

Keeper?

If she’s the only female from a whole pack, sure, keeper until you pop another pack and find that blueberry muffin or butter cut that others have spoken about.​

P.S. Sunshine Daydream is also a documentary and accompanying album about the Grateful Dead shot at an August 1972 benefit concert they did for Ken Kesey’s brother’s creamery, the title popularized with deadheads because the Dead use the phrase “sunshine daydream” in the song Sugar Magnolia to refer to the morning after a good acid trip. They also sometimes did a sunshine daydream jam after playing Sugar Magnolia at shows.

35 Likes

bodhi’s Black Triangle Evaluation & Smoke Report​

Black Triangle is Triangle Kush x 88g13hp.

Grow Environment

The grow pics are not mine, but the dried flower pics are. The grow pics are from around harvest at my friend’s room where she’s grown in a perpetual ebb & flow setup under HLG Quantum Board LED lighting. Here’s another one.​

Notes & Flowering Time

I’ll let the growers notes tell the tale, “While growing, it looks TK dominant in structure. 3-5 blade leaves, longer internodes, spot it as OG from across the room…I let it go to day 68, and it was my first run with her so I can’t give a harvest window.”

The following are my notes by pheno. Sorry about the shitty camera phone pics. Due to the crazy abnormal amounts of rain we’ve been getting in the desert this fall, I didn’t have quite as good of light as usual.​

Pheno 2:

7/10 Bag appeal and density are good, albeit a little more on the thinner side of things, smaller calyx structure, hairier, but I don’t mind it. ​

7.5/10 Smell is nice lemony grape when opening the bag, turning into just a strong but sweet lemon smell. Ground up it’s more bright, citrusy hops, like a west coast style IPA.

6/10 Taste is unexpectedly spicy and bitter, like pepper, hinting at black licorice in there. Leaves a spicy minty strip down the middle of my tongue. Tastes weird, almost like foreign flavors mixed in there somehow.

7/10 Effects are pretty decent. Puts me into a different plane of existence. It doesn’t feel especially potent, but it does make the world look a little different. Generally relaxed, and fairly visual from the get-go, a couple hours later I wake up from the dreamlike trance I was in.​

Pheno 4:

6/10 Density and bag appeal are OK, with really good frost, but this is a little thin and spongy. Honestly nothing to complain about, but noticeably less bulky than some buds. Frosty, but small calyxes, can see through the nugs. Apparently this one had the largest harvest.

7/10 Smell is fairly loud. Berry & Christmas candle. Sweet, but not Yankee Candle sweet. A little piney, but with Xmas spices and that greenhouse funk. Makes your fingers stink, stank, stunk.

7/10 Taste is pine & vegetal greens, peach and green apples combined, but with some burn pile trumpster fire in the back of the mouth. A sharp tart note, but also a savory one. Musings of piney hops, greenhouse algae, bat guano, and the crippy from Central Floriduh in the early 2000s. Although not strong initially, it overpowers other flavors, like if you’re drinking coffee or wine or beer, it lingers above those other flavors in the back of the nose / roof of your mouth for awhile.

6/10 Effects are immediately relaxed, bordering on sleepy. Riding it out creates this odd languorous tension. Reading an article showing a 45%+ loss of insects worldwide since the 1970s, I’m glued to the shit that’s making me wring my hands, stuck in a silent horror film. Blissful idiocy might be what it looks like, but my mouth is agape in a silent scream of terror for the earth. Odd effects. :slight_smile: Lasts about 90min. Not real strong, but pleasant! Ends with munchies.​

Pheno 5:

6/10 Bag appeal is not like today’s normal top end bag appeal. Fuller nugs than some of the phenos, but hairy. I feel like the current bag appeal standard of tiny nubile nugs with a sparkly sheen, otherwise clean, no hair, no leaf, no bush, is a little weird. “8 year olds dude.

7/10 Smell is lemony coffee at first. Maybe some other fruit in there. A little green apple when ground up.

6/10 Flavor is unexpectedly chem dryer sheets, with this grow’s signature greenhouse flavor. Lemony hint, but not up front. Reminds me of the flavor on Ocean Grown Seeds’ B-witched F2 tester phenos I grew awhile back.

8/10 Effects are creeper, but not bad. Started yawning almost immediately, eyes heavy. Very relaxing effects. Sedating and heavy. Rare to find something that makes me feel sleepy. Powering thru it brings me to a pretty good effect that is surprisingly psychedelic; this pheno puts me into a much different headspace than most weed, disorienting if I go out in public. 2hrs of feeling drugged.​

Pheno 7:

"​

8/10 Bag appeal and density, with larger calyxes, solid nugs, a bit of a glamorous foxtail.​

8/10 Smells sweet lime citrus blast. Hint of roasted peanuts. Greenhouse funk.

7/10 Tastes like green tea, sweetened, with a squirt of fresh lime. Grassy with accents of sweet and tart. A little harsh, maybe that’s just hashy taste. Leaves my mouth tasting kinda like I just ate raw pine nuts, then chased it with a slice of lime.

9/10 Effects are immediately relaxed. Eyes heavy and swollen feeling. Gets introspective fast. Ever listened to your own heart beat? What about suddenly being aware of the temperature of the same air you’ve been breathing all day? Real relaxing, almost sleepy, I noticed how dark the house had become on a rare cloudy day in the desert. Still going up, 45min later. Real close to a 10/10 on feel good effects, and this one has the 8 or 9/10 potency you expect from this cross. Even 2hrs later I’m still feeling it, albeit not as strongly. Still very relaxed, almost hypnotic for up to 3hrs.​

Medicinal Value

Pheno 7 has a really good pain relieving and muscle relaxing effect for some people. Many of the phenos have hypnotic effects that are a bit dissociative. Could be good for a number of medical issues.​

Overall Impression?

This one’s a winner, no doubt. None of the phenos were dogs. She’s a crowd pleaser for sure. Lots of people love the potent indica effects of TK, so how could you go wrong when combining it with another heavy indica powerhouse like 88g13hp?

Everyone who loves indicas should buy this. Do not pass go. Run, don’t walk, to Great Lakes Genetics, James Bean Company, Big Shoe @ IG, or your other favorite bodhi rep and buy them out of this one. Seriously, it’s that good. :)​

Keeper?

I could see one or two of these phenos being keepers in most gardens, just from effects alone. #5 and #7 were my favorites for effects.​

P.S. Not sure if anyone’s seen Doc D’s cut of the Black Triangle, but they have it out west at Radio Ridge Nursery (where bodhi donates his keeper cuts), and I know it’s making its way across the country. It appears to have a different structure than the phenos I reviewed. It also tests at 30-31% thc-a.

This bodhi tester says it’s his favorite smoke ever.

And look at the list of elites he has in his garden right now.

Pretty high praise, given the options available to him.

39 Likes

Lucky dog. :wink:

What do you make of this:

:thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I don’t get it you feed alcohol

Bare

5 Likes

Yep, it works. No feeding alcohol, @Barefrog . You take cuts, and right before putting them in your medium, you dip them in high % isopropyl alcohol. Here’s the link to the post so the forum here doesn’t just extract the pic and not give you a link to read the comments.

Here’s the exact quote:

Take cut then put into alcohol just like dip n gro. We fill up cup to 1.5" and soak about ten cuts at a time for twenty seconds. Then plug into rockwool. Rockwool should be pre soaked with double top secret food. And Roots Excelerator!

That’s the “protip” the big clone houses had kept on the DL for a long time about how they get such good success. Works great with pre-soaked cubes, but will work in any medium. Don’t use any rooting gel.

Basically it’s killing pathogens on the rooting surface so the plant doesn’t have to fight them at the same time it’s trying to create roots. There may be some hormonal triggers in there, too, but I dunno. It’s like dipping cuts in fresh aloe in terms of “sterilizing” the rooting surface, although aloe has some of the rooting hormones.

Here’s a few other tips from their various posts over the years:

Put a little bit of perlite in the bottom of the tray or your cups so the roots have something to grab onto when they grow out the bottom.

Temp 80F, no extra humidity - 40-50% is fine. No direct airflow.

If using rockwool, make sure to presoak the cubes with a diluted 1/4 strength nutrient solution and let them nearly dry out before giving any additional moisture. The 1/4strength presoak nutes keep them from doing the yellowing thing they usually do right before rooting in organic dirt or straight water environments.

31 Likes

Have really taken an interest lately in Bodhi’s gear. Can somebody please chime in with suggestions on what to pick up? If not here, a pm would be greatly appreciated. Also a bank who carries his primo

9 Likes

Great thread @nube smashed it with the test reports. I have a pack of Lavender Jack to pop in a week. Really looking forward to selecting keepers and crossing with other strains. Hoping to get a the full spectrum of phenos to cross with other Jack hybrids. Trying to get back to the mid 90s shit.

9 Likes

Nu-be, really appreciate your format. It’s pleasing to read!

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing these casts.makes me so happy hearing all the love for this plant! My kind of family. Much love

8 Likes

Anyone got info on dla5?

6 Likes

Great read. Hoping to be able to grow something from Bodhi over the next while. Want to learn more about his gear. Too bad a lot of the good ones aren’t available anymore.

8 Likes

Great thread and amazing work everyone. Love me some Bodhi. :+1:

Here’s some love triangle I recently harvested.

54 Likes

thanks nube for your great posts. you are posting some great info about some F2’s i got my hands on like the cobra lips and sakura. that’s cool af you named the sakura, i am super interested to grow those out. ik you don’t pop on the forums too often, but ik you will see this eventually and i just wanna say thanks for all your work

10 Likes

thats absolutely gorgeous!!! knowing the genetics. Beautiful.

11 Likes

@Swampthing is this something you do regularly buy packs and work them to f345? If so could you let me know your methodology? Thanks Blessings Jah

5 Likes