Bodhi Seeds - Goji OG Crowd Source F2 Preservation (closed)

He wants the seeds done and ready to send out in the spring.

8 Likes

I c, I suppose I’ll drop out. When the F2’s are made and people send out seeds, I’d be willing to make F3’s then > : D

6 Likes

I think it’s worth considering that the rules should include no other flowering plants in other to reduce contamination possibilities from unrelated lines w/ intersex tendancies, and ideally no other male plants in general. My Goji M drops a ton of pollen in stasis / veg even.

I think you bring up a good point that deserves more focus. Pollen sharing would be useful for people who have Goji F1 moms, F2s or crosses like Soul Mate that want to attempt a back cross at least.

That was my approach for my Goji F2s. The plan was to donate them to GLG to be given away with Bodhi purchases until a RIU admin intervened in our dialogue. Everyone benefits that way, GLG takes care of the shipping and is a good company that deserves the support. Bodhi benefits from retaining sales rather than some unrelated seed company making sales through the desired freebies. The recipient benefits from getting another pack of bodhi, the preservation seeds, and secure shipping.

I still intend on going that route eventually too. Now that GLG is a sponsor here it should make communication easier without the threat of a ban for discussing donations. It may be a useful approach for this project as well?

24 Likes

I’m just watching this thread, so I was gonna keep my mouth shut (for once), but

Having just had an unknown plant herm and seed every plant in my tent last run, I think it’s imperative that nothing but Goji gets grown during this project.

31 Likes

I’d definitely be up for some of the pollen sharing if that becomes a possibility.
I planned on picking up a pack of Soul Mate this week to use in my backcrossong of the f2s I made, and Attitude have sold out :cry: :sob:.
So if I Goji pollen becomes available I’d jump at the chance to get some!

7 Likes

I could dedicate a full room(7x15 feet) to just Goji OG plants but I couldn’t promise I won’t have plants flowering in another room(Really depends when this ends up happening). As far as contamination goes both rooms are well sealed so there would likely be no issues but I can’t really make any promises on that.

16 Likes

I would raise my hand for some pollen if it gets sent around. I have Strawberry Goji (Goji B cut x Strawberry Milk) and could see an incross being a cool experiment.

16 Likes

Getting excited watching this awesome project unfold here.
Good luck to all participants.
What a great community!
Lets get high :dash::dash::sunglasses::v::canada:

8 Likes

This is a great point and I am glad you chimed in. This is the reason I feel like we should discuss our approach to this project as a group so that we can get the best possible plan of action. I agree that it would be ideal to have a dedicated space for this seed run so that other work being ran by folks aren’t accidentally contributing to the seed making lol.

Are there any listed volunteers that would not be able to provide a dedicate seed making space for the Goji guys and gals?

In my mind at least the idea of sharing the male pollen between the growers would just be a way to add genetic diversity is all. Lets say each grower gets 5-6 males out of their pack but then share that pollen with each other in theory you would be able to pollinate your 5-6 female plants with pollen from ALL the males. When I think this through it certainly adds to the complexity and I am sure that there is a point of dimensioning returns. I think that us combining all of our individual F2’s will be plenty fine. My goal is just to get F2 seeds to the community and have some fun while doing that. If things gets too complicated with collecting enough pollen, having to store it and then ship it to several other people I can see that getting very stressful and that certainly wouldn’t be what I would want. Lets discuss this more as we flesh out the logistics of how this project might run. Maybe we leave it up to each individual grower if they want to share pollen or not. No one will be required to? I am open on this point for sure.

24 Likes

This is probably the most realistic requirement I can think would work. Have a dedicated space for the Goji females and males away from other plants. If you do have other plants going just make sure they are in a different space and possibly not in the first 4 weeks of flower.

21 Likes

I set up a dedicated area for the run I am doing now. I grow in my M-I-L apartment. I set up and area in my framed in basement garage. The main house and M-I-L apartment have their own furnaces so I don’t have to worry about cross that way.

Anybody know at what point I could drop the next grow. After flip, pollination or do I need to wait until seed harvest?

Spent yesterday taking down the last of the autos in the veg tent and started the clean-up.

16 Likes

I had the same thought with sharing pollen - just having so many sets of f2s would probably be enough diversity of parents.
Makes sense with running it monocrop for seeds - no issue here with that.

7 Likes

There’s some good ideas flowing here…

I think maybe one of the first things that needs to be decided is when all volunteers can grow their allotted seeds. Maybe everyone agree on a date or week to start them, so that they can all finish around the same time? Also, that may help keep info on them consolidated to one thread. If we don’t think that everyone would be able to start at the same time, then perhaps let’s discuss the logistics of everyone running separate runs.

I agree on the idea that the grow space needs to be dedicated to running only the Goji OG. Either a tent or isolated room and have no other breeding projects going on at the same time.

Another thing to maybe discuss is pollination style? Throw all the plants together and let them do their thing? Run the males separate and collect the pollen? I’m of the opinion that for maximum seed production that the males get introduced after the flowers ramped up production.

I think in theory the pollen sharing idea sounds good, but the logistics of collecting and mailing and using all that pollen sounds like a nightmare to me. Thoughts?

10 Likes

I’m curious about what f2ing a seed does to the phenos that pop up. That’s when a lot more genetic variation starts happening right ? So lots more phenos than the f1?

10 Likes

Maybe set up a pole to see who of us can and would start when they arrive. I don’t know how long this strain takes. We could hold in veg and all flip to 12/12 the same day. I just want to make sure they are done in time.

Agree that is why I asked at what point the next could start.

Yes, are all the males required? As sharing pollen was mentioned I am assuming you want pollen from all males. Would keeping a couple with the ladies and maybe rotating work. I have recently figure out, more space for each lady is better than more number of plants.

agree

9 Likes

I ran mine 75+ days. Somewhere around there is probably fine for making seeds though, probably would just have to check the maturity of the seeds. I miss my Goji, actually just smoked the last nug of her outta of my stash a few days ago :frowning:

I would say yes, for maximum genetic diversity.

20 Likes

I have a goji og pack from bodhi still sealed in a clear bag.Pre green bags. People have asked me to f2 them but I have no time for that. I’ll check this project out though.

8 Likes

i would love it if we could share pollen, and i agree it would be a difficult task. feasibly though, it should only be done under an emergency situation, ie: if one grower only has one sex make it to flower. while it is unlikely i believe we should have a plan in place to mail out pollen.

i’ve had two ‘open pollinations’ where i ended up with only one female and 6/7 males. if this were happen again i would want to send that pollen to the other growers.

11 Likes

I have a 4x4 that I’m finishing up my last outdoor plant in right now (well plus my little organic water only solo cup:) It’ll be available in the next couple days for a seed project.

I think sharing pollen could be a nice option, but would also prefer it not to be mandatory as it does add a bit of complication to a fairly tight timeframe.

4 Likes

Lol. @catapult had asked me for seeds to reproduce and share with OG, I sent them out last week, he received em yesterday and when he seen this thread he jumped ship. Said if I want, he’ll send me back the seeds he just received.

I’d steer clear if I was you @The_Lazy_Hippie

16 Likes