Bodhi Seeds - Goji OG Crowd Source F2 Preservation (closed)

yes, it doesn’t have to be a mandatory rule to exchange pollen, I figured that maybe from everyone doing the seedrun maybe 4 or 5 if they can and want to do the pollen exchange.

I’m of the same opinion, that’s why I thought it wouldn’t be a job to collect the pollen at that moment and send it by mail maybe to 4 or 5 people to receive from 4 or 5 or even less because shit happens. but as there is already the saying: “talking is easy, it’s hard to do”

I agree as to devoting time and space, how much risk of contamination this must be a rule since we’ll mix everything later

I believe that 0.5 oz of pollen is possible to make thousands of seeds

open pollination is the way, in my opinion, later when people get their f2 and want each one can do their own searches.

Breeders can select their winners and then exchange cuts in pursuit of the champion of champions.

I support this idea if everything works out for everyone we will have enough seeds to do something like that I say this because if we are 8 (or more if someone wants to run their own seeds ) usually and a successful run are generated on average 5 thousand seeds and to distrubiur for about 150 people ± 20 seeds 3000 beans are needed, so as we are 8 and if we can make at least 3000 beans we will have at least 24k beans I believe that there is a lot and that it is possible to do this and donate a part to the sebring to distribute as well.
if everything works out

:om: :pray:

15 Likes

Well, you seem to have left out that you didn’t send what you had said, and that I told you I would happily return them if you wished.

You only told me about the change after you sent them.

SMH, I’m literally only trying to be a helpful, productive member.

1 Like

Oh man I wish I had the space to help. Goji OG is what I’ve been searching for for a long time.

I can def help out popping some F2s once they start getting distributed.

4 Likes

Yes, ideally you will see everything from the p1 mom, all the way to the p1 dad with every mix possible in-between. P = parent (of the original cross), not just the two F1 plants you picked…

It’s why you would generally want a couple packs of f2s compared to only needing a few F1 seeds. And you need to find two matching f2s if you want to lock anything in for the F3’s.

26 Likes

I’m not against mailing pollen but with Christmas coming up sending stuff through the mail on time isn’t that likely.

I’d suggest figuring out who the best candidates are that can get this done for the spring box and just telling them to run the seeds asap. Coordination of sharing pollen can be done if 2 or more of the growers agree on it but it shouldn’t be required, that will make things rather difficult.

Rather than picking a start date for this choose a date that the seeds need to be germinating by but let growers start them before that time if they are able to.(The sooner we get the ball rolling the better chance these seeds make it into the spring box)

23 Likes

This is gonna be amazing! @Oldtimerunderground might be down.

7 Likes

Wtf man :exploding_head: you are totally right with the end of the year festivities things get crazy at the post office, most things sent in late november always arrive late and even if all breeders started now the pollen exchange would be done at the turn of the year which makes it difficult a lot of pollen exchange.

7 Likes

Not to mention dejoy just slowed down first class mail too… I’d consider sending the seeds and/or pollen out as Priority Mail to ensure a timely arrival… plus you’ll know if it was actually delivered or not.

12 Likes

with all everyone collaborating like this it is becoming more obvious that this is right.

we should look at it like 8 different growers doing a seedrun for the same cross at the same time and all the seeds get mixed together by @The_Lazy_Hippie and sent to seed box distros.
by the time comes to consolidate the separate grows the end of year shenanigans should be over, aye?

7 Likes

I’ve been trying to get a hold of Goji for years and still never smoked it. I have a jinx with that strain. I’d love to run them otherwise. But, I’m also doing the Space Monkey for seeds for @misterbee the next run.

I’m with @Islayhearts, regarding sharing pollen for the grow. I’d take some Goji pollen in a second if someone wants to send me some. But, like Islay, each person will likely get at least, two males. I say everybody stick to their own pack for the pollen. Then when all the seeds are mixed together you’ll have plenty of diversity. You’ll be taking some of the diversity out of the project by sharing male pollen.

I think that coordinating the grow where each grower runs them at the same time would be the best idea. That way each grower can share experiences with each other in real time and hopefully create a more solid preservation.

If you need another grower, I’d be glad to be on a backup slot. I’d have to clear it with @misterbee regarding preserving his Space Monkey beans.

Man, I’d sure like to smoke the f1 just once before I die. That wish is almost gone.

Thanks for the idea and the chance at getting these preserved. @The_Lazy_Hippie. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been offered Goji seeds and cuts but never saw one, lol. I had to get it out of my mind and I gave up. Best vibes sent! peace

17 Likes

I wish I had the space, or for that matter the growing talent to do this. :slightly_smiling_face: Hopefully someone who does this run is generous with clones! I’d love to be able to give the real Goji OG a try, it’s already become a bit of a legendary strain - would be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype.

8 Likes

That’s what I was saying about 6 years ago and I’ve still never seen it. Same with the Orange Goji. I never got to taste the f1. I have f2’s from @Howard.Crane and have 4 in flower right now. Well, just flipped 2 weeks ago.

I’m not going to hold my breath, but I sure hope I get to taste it one day. peace

16 Likes

Send me a pm @GMan and I’ll send you some f1 :point_up:

15 Likes

That was my thought but Didn’t get any response.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

you got extras? I’d make seeds with them in the spring assuming they are reg seeds.

3 Likes

I wish I could be a part of this. It sucks going by the rules sometimes. :frowning:

3 Likes

What a great discussion going on here, thanks for everyone who is participating. For those that have volunteered your time and your space I am extremly thankful and I have taken note. I am sorry if I haven’t reached out directly yet but be sure I will be doing so shortly.

I am still trying to mentally get some details worked out about how this will work in the grand scheme of things so thats where my energy has been focused. I didn’t want to reach out to potential growers without having a pretty well fleshed out idea of what will be asked of them. But for those who have volunteered be sure that we are close to things being set in motion.

Here are my thoughts about how to go about certain parts of this project:

Growing the F1’s to make F2’s:

1. The Goji plants should be grown in a separate space then your other plants just to try an eliminate any potential accidental cross contamination with other strains pollen. Its OK to have other plants going in your place just have some form of isolation in place and practice some good protocols of not going directly from one space to the other.

2. Clones of all males and females should be kept for a short time past the initial pollination. Here is my reasoning. The females will obviously want to be ran again by their growers in hopes of finding a keeper female. The males seem to be a desirable commodity for potential backcrosses and future breeding projects by the community. Males should be kept in clone form until the growers have a chance to see what they look at after they have been flowered out for initial F2 pollination. Once the males have been flowered out for the F2 making an evaluation can be done by each grower and the community at large to see if there are any special males worth keeping. If something is found then we can arrange for that clone to be sent to its “forever home” of whoever can hold that male and spread it out to the community.

3. Pollen collection and sharing. I think it should be up to each grower to use a pollen collection method that the have available and feel comfortable with. If the grower is not experienced with pollen collection methods then please ask advice in this thread. The expectation is that the grower will only be responsible for collecting pollen and pollinating their own batch of plants. However each grower also has the option to collect enough pollen and share it with other F2 growers to add to those pollen store to increase genetic diversity of each batch. This is a completely optional step but for those grizzled vet growers that don’t mind a challenge then share pollen as much as possible.

4. Once each individual growers batch of F2’s is complete those seeds will be sent back to me to be combined with all the other growers seeds to create one gigantic F2 seeds stock.

5. Those seeds will then be distributed through the spring co-op box using the normal channels.

Schedule for being able to run these seeds.

After looking around at the seed co-op thread I found this quote.

If this information is still accurate then the final combined seeds stock has to be packaged up and sent to the seed distributers by end of March so they can be sent out in April. So lets work backwards from that date.

March 31st 2022: Seeds are mailed to seed run co-op distributors
March 15th 2022: Separate F2 batches are in Lazy Hippie’s hands for him to combine and package. (This gives me a few weeks to get this done because you know Im lazy lol)
March 1st-15th 2022: Each individual F2 grower has to package up their batch and get it in the mail.
Feb 14th-28th 2022: 2 weeks for the seeds to dry out.
Dec 20th - Feb 14th: 10 weeks of flowering for those long flowering ladies.
Nov 8th - Dec 20th: 6 weeks veg
Nov 1st - 8th: seeds are popped and transplanted into their first containers.

EDIT: This is just a a VERY rough outline to look at to generally see when things would need to happen. If your grow style doesn’t align with how long each phase is no worries, the important dates are mid-end of March to get the finalized seeds out. If your style can get that done then its all good!

I padded several timelines here but it certainly would seems that we are under a tight time line. Seeds will need to get out to the f2 growers in the next couple of weeks and those growers need to be able to pop their seeds by the first week of Nov.

Beyond the F2 making

1. First things first I want this project to be fun for everyone involved. Life is stressful enough without adding to it, especially adding stress to a hobby that is suppose to be something we do out of love for the plant. So that should be the number one consideration. I appreciate all the volunteers but no one should feel any additional stress over this.

2. Now the second point of the project is to make available a line a genetics that the community desires. The F2 seed stock gets the basics covered to keep this line going. I would also like to see sharing of any keeper cuts found with the community.

Female keepers: I would like to see each volunteer grower willing to share their keeper cut that they find in their Goji run.

Male keeper(s): I would like to see the volunteer growers coordinate on selecting a keeper (or multiple keepers) male plants that can then be held by a willing individual and shared with the community. If there are going to be many dozen seeds popped this seems to be a good opportunity to find a special male to keep around. I know most folks struggle with space so we can work on making sure this election process happens quickly after the initial pollination run so folks wont have to hold on to the male clones very long. Just long enough to see the original males flowered out and then a decision made of whose male to keep and then the rest of the males can be culled.

I will update the OP to include these key points in the notes. I feel comfortable that these details have been worked out enough to proceed if everyone is in agreement.

The biggest caveat is if you have volunteered, can you pop the seeds quick enough to have your F2’s mailed back to me by the middle of March?

39 Likes

Excellent plan and thank you so much for taking this into account. :slight_smile: The F2s and beyond will surely be nice, and eventually will be stabilized into something similar to F1, but this part of the plan will be awesome for those who can have clones sent to them. Not me yet unfortunately, but maybe eventually, and either way this’ll do wonders for getting the genetics out there. Seems like a fitting treatment for a legendary strain!

10 Likes

Yes! But here’s my personal plan with the seeds. Take it or leave it, no hard feelings.

I plan to run the plants in 2 gallon containers as a SOG style in organic living soil. Vegged for 14 days then flipped and grown with minimal side branching. I would need to pop these seeds around Dec 4-6 and flip on the 20th to keep in line with your schedule. This is very doable for me but just lmk. If this isn’t desirable to you or the community I completely understand. I just wanted to be transparent. Thanks again for all the details.

11 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. That schedule I put up was just a VERY loose framework mostly for me to have something in mind when talking about when things need to happen. Each grower can do their own thing and follow their own process as long as the seeds can get completed and sent out by the end of March deadlines. Those are the important dates in the whole process. If you feel good about being able to hit those deadlines then how you get there is totally up to you my friend.

17 Likes