Bodhi seed's Pura Vida Preservation Run (CLOSED)

Happy Friday everybody! :slight_smile: :partying_face:

Plants are drying nicely in their 75F/65% environment, with the outer leaves starting to go from limp to dry. A couple more days and I’ll transfer them to paper bags and then a week + there until they’re bone dry enough to shuck.

Meanwhile, I sent out a couple of preliminary packs of preflower PV F2. Only one has arrived yet (thanks USPS…) but they’re already up and above ground, starting what is hopefully a fun life. :slight_smile: @iamyou_youareme

10/10 popped tails, 9/10 up out of the rooters on day 1. That was after a quick dry and a short cold snap of only 4-5 days in the fridge, so I feel pretty good about the germ rates. I’m glad to see the shells were sloughed easily - I hate having to perform surgery on seeds that get helmet head.

While this one finishes up, I’m looking forward to the next F2 preservation run:

That pack has gotta be 10-12 years old or more, before bodhi came up with the Good Medicine name, so let’s hope for good germ rates! :seedling:

:peace_symbol:

42 Likes

Sweet I can post here now lol
Sending good vibes those old seeds pop and that you find a kickass high cbd male.
I have some Afghani seeds that are 24 years old that I got from a couple from Vermont who had been growing it for years after a trip to Afghanistan, that I met salmon fishing. I haven’t grown any out in many years but I check the germ rate every couple years ( they brought me half a sandwich bag ) . I have done nothing but keep them in a half dozen sandwich bags and inside a jar , in the fridge all these years and I still get a 40- 60% germ rate.

24 Likes

If you’re interested in donating some of those seeds, I’m sure the people doing the run in the link above would appreciate it. I’ve been following that Afghani thread because I’m interested, even though I really have nothing to contribute to the run itself or the discussion. But yeah, dude, a half sandwich bag sounds like a lot of seeds haha.

17 Likes

Sending positive vibes for successful germination. My collection is devoid of seeds for strains with higher CBD content.

13 Likes

That would be very cool to do never know what you could find in some old stock like that. I’d be very interested in few to make more.

10 Likes

tora bora run starting soon…

13 Likes

Is this the version that was bred by the Vault that averages 2:1 cbd/thc?

6 Likes

Hey friends, here’s a quick update.

Drying is still taking place. I converted them to paper bags a couple days ago, even though they were still pretty moist and pliable. Some seeds fell out onto the floor in the process, but most were saved. Shit happens, no big deal.

Not much to say on the smell besides just “dank weed drying smell.” We’ve had really cool, wet weather the last week (with 2 hot dry days in the middle of it) so things are taking their time drying. I took a small sampler nug from each of the phenos at harvest and those still aren’t dry either, but I’ll take pics when I shuck and smoke 'em.

Also, @moderators and @leaders what’s the next step for getting this to distros? I haven’t heard back from @MomOnTheRun and don’t have any guidance on how to get this into the next box going out. Is there a next box going out in October? Please PM me to discuss. I’m ready to go with packaging and everything, just gotta know what and where. :heart_decoration:

36 Likes

Whoooo hoooo! Still following for pix nd smoke report

8 Likes

I had a good friend smoke some this today and say it was some his top ever. Well of course, I hear it had a great breeder. I’m looking forward to trying it myself.

12 Likes

True that! @lefthandseeds. Same as thc %'s.
A scary good sativa may clock in at just 17%thc. That would sit on a dipsensary shelf.
Some of the ugliest shit has the best effects, and some pretty pot is only good for IG posts. A few times the ugliest looking fucker was the hardest hitter of the bunch. Facts.

19 Likes

Although the samplers were still a little damp, I shucked them this morning and took a few pics/notes. The lighting ain’t great, but you get the idea.

They’re just random lowers from each plant selected at harvest time. Don’t read too much into each one’s size/density/structure/smell or # of seeds. It’s only been 10 days since harvest.

PV1 had a nice citrus and mildly floral smell. Average amount of aborted seeds; mature seeds look good:

PV2 has the strongest smell out of the bunch, up front with a sweet, feminine almost rose & marshmallow & baby powder smell, followed by a big back end of lime and OG. Good ratio of mature to aborts/immature seeds:

PV4 has a slightly less intense smell than #2 but was essentially the same with a bit more OG funk in the background. Biggest seeds and best ratio of mature to abort/immature seeds, but again don’t read too much into that:

PV7 has an unexpected smell, mild citrus and baby powder with a strong note of sweaty socks, foot funk, or maybe damp basement. Clearly the plant didn’t have any mold or anything, so it was interesting to smell. By far the worst ratio of mature to abort/immature seeds, but could have just been this lower bud. We’ll have to see how the rest of the plant turns out:

Overall, I’m satisfied by how the open pollination turned out - it’s looking like a pretty good haul. Not many greenies and only a few white or light seeds; mostly either fully mature or aborts. Hope for enough total to give at least 15-20 per pack.

Smoke report will have to wait for when I shuck all the plants in the next week or two, assuming the weather cooperates. Supposedly 96F high this Saturday, then a low of 30 and snow overnight next Tuesday. LOL nuts.

:peace_symbol:

43 Likes

Snow this early where you living that the snows first part of September up in the mountains?

7 Likes

I’m in Colorado on the front range of the Rockies. :mountain: :mountain: :mountain: About a mile high, sometimes higher. :wink:

22 Likes

lmao, yum!!!
only a pot smoker would find that remotely attractive to inhale.

Ugh, snow :frowning:

ah, makes sense now. i dread snow. im in Great Lakes region, aka the snowbelt. we can get 12-20 inches per day here Ive seen.

8 Likes

Phenomenal work and documentation! An inspiration to us all.

13 Likes

Ditto! :joy:

10 Likes

Not a real smoke report, but last night I vaped some of the mixed up crumble from all that sampler bud shucking. Incredible caramel & lime flavor, which I wasn’t expecting. It’s like a dark and stormy rum drink.

Effects were functional head, relaxed body that didn’t leave me feeling drugged, but did give me some visual effects in the dark.

More to come from vaping the crumble after shucking the top buds, but I’ll reserve true judgment until running them from clone unseeded to get a real sense of how they turned out. That’ll be a few months, but I’ll update the thread with a thorough smoke report when it’s done. :fireworks:

All credit to @bodhi for making them and @Mojorizing for donating them. :slight_smile:

Let’s be honest, we all want to grow photogenic weed that smells and tastes great, yields like a dream, and hits like a ton of bricks. But, when push comes to shove, I’ll settle for good effects above all else.

We had a 23" and a 22" snowfall last year. 154" total for the winter. Most I’ve ever seen. It was nuts but fun! Now they’re calling for 1-3" on Tuesday with a low of 26. Twenty-fucking-six. That’s a hard frost. Everything outdoor will be toast. :frowning: It’s sad because my tomatoes were just recovering and starting to produce after the month+ of no sun we had from all the smoke.

Thanks man, I’m just doing what I wish everyone did with their growlogs. I figure if I’m giving seeds away, the least I can do is document it. I hate it when people don’t post any pics and get mad at you for asking. Also, I love water-only organics so I can put way less time into the grow and way more time into the documentation of the plants’ unique spirits.

I read something you said about lab test numbers being misconstrued by the public, where they think higher cannabinoid numbers is similar to higher ABV in alcohol. I couldn’t agree more. Conflating thc+terp numbers with ABV to estimate how fucked up you get is really wacky. I can drink 2 IPAs and be blotto, but drink 4 stouts of the same ABV and be fine. It’s the combo of various compounds, not just the alcohol or the thc, that matter. And we don’t yet know how that all works. We might not know for a very long time, but there’s definitely something to the synergistic and entourage effect hypotheses. :slight_smile: Thanks for pointing that out about ABV, I thought it was a really smart insight.

29 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t looked at dispensary menus in a long-ass time, but started checking them out recently just to see what was out there etc. For my own reasons. Mostly because I have a huge issue with Prop 64. What I found was that every dispensary is selling the same exact shit, confirming what I was curious about, which is that Prop 64 ushered in a wave of “the only people who can sell weed to dispensaries are the people who can afford to pay the taxes.” And the only people who can afford to pay the taxes are huge grow-ops that’re funded by people who don’t give a shit about weed and only care about money.

Anyway, I was kind of shocked at how much of an emphasis was placed on THC percentages. That was my point haha. Anybody who knows anything about weed knows that the amount of THC is kind of irrelevant. Kind of. Years ago, just outta curiosity, I went to fucking Kyle Kushman’s dispensary in Studio City to grab some of that “strongest strain on earth” Ghost Train Haze, just to see if it was all that. Spoiler: it wasn’t. It was strong, sure, but the high was just,”Whatever.” Nothing interesting about it at all. I felt like it made me dumber, to be honest, which is not what I expect from a supposed “Sativa-dominant” strain.

It’s all about the entourage. Breeding shit strictly for high THC percentages might sell more to the masses (and yes, I’m criticizing the masses right now haha), but it’s also breeding out all of the things that make good weed good. Study this plant. Figure it out.

17 Likes

Here in Canada now Natives are now selling cannabis on reserve land locally.
Rumor has it they are back-dooring black market flower because they dont have to follow the rules everyone else in retail has to on Rez land…
a friend hit a “shop” where 4 dudes were sitting around a table outside with bags of flower on the table for sale. No need to hide things anymore apparently.
Ill know in a few months if they still back dooring flower if im blessed.

16 Likes