Bokashi fluids and castings

It’s supposed to be rich in enzymes and microorganisms but it’s is also very acidic and needs to be mixed with water first. Can’t find a solid ratio online (lots of different answers) but I’m going to start slow (25:1) and work my way up :grin:.

2 Likes

happy to have triggered your interest. :grinning:

So in my tent I have several cuts atm. Most are Santero’s Double Cocoas. But there are also two Zenith from ACE. The former I am growing now the third time and as I said, in the instant I noticed the smell I was wondering again which strain it was. This all just happened three hours ago and I am so surprised I am seeking help here now. :nerd_face:

So the thing is, a friend of mine has the bokashi buckets. I drop my old soil at his place, because he has a compost in his garden. When the bokashi is fermented (I guess after 4-5 weeks he said) he just dumps it on to the compost and the due to rain etc it drains down. He sometimes after a while also mixes it with the compost. I have to emphasise though that he is not a grower. He is no grower. He loves gardening and does that to calm down. So I cannot give you the full detail of how he does things.
I was hoping to actually benefit from the nerds around here and benefit from their expertese.
The fluids he puts on to the compost or he also just waters his whole garden with it. At the beginning his grass was very thin but he is convinced it has transformed into a carpet since he puts the liquids everywhere. The grass is indeed greener and tighter than of all his neighbours :stuck_out_tongue:
To what extend that’s due to the fluids I cannot assess by myself, but I trust him. He does not talk about it with anyone else but me. So there is no fame to gain from making it up.
Another friend is also making bokashi and feeds it to his worms, making worm castings for his soil and for making teas. I sometimes pick up some tea and bukashi fluids. I do not have a proper schedule for doing so, it is rather that they give me a wink and I come and collect. My guess is that it’s just a great mix of vitamins etc that makes your soil lives thrive and maybe also your terps. Hopefully some others can share their knowledge with us. It is quite an interesting hypothesis I would say.

Well my friend said 15-30ml per liter. I try to match that but I find the smell so disgusting that I do not measure properly.
I have a pretty laissez-faire grow style. I work, go to festivals, clubs, have an active social life. Ideally the plants grow by themselves.

Sorry if that was not very helpful

1 Like

Tbh I guess the ratios also vary according to your brew. Everyone telling you that it should be a fixed amount might be a bit too fixated about rules. Unless you always have the ingredients in your bokashi there will be some variation. Probably your waste is also varying here and there.

That’s great. Have you noticed a change in flavors in your weed?

1 Like

Can’t say. I don’t have a control to compare it to.

Does anyone make their on bokashi bran? I’m trying this week. I’ve made LAB and have some wheat bran and molasses :grin:

Any tips for making bran?

3 Likes

Yessir @Loggershands
No real tricks to it, other than releasing any air pressure that builds up. If you’re using 5gal buckets with their corresponding lid, you can just crack it without exposing the whole batch. I tend to keep them as sealed as possible until they’re “done”.

Currently I’ve also been experimenting with making bokashi with barley, corn, and guinea pig shit (long story). Basically stuff I have access to. Inoculation took, but I haven’t used it to compost yet.

3 Likes

Well, nice to see you guys brewing up some expertese :man_student:

1 Like

The more I looked into it, the more making the bran on your own makes sense. It’s super easy to make the LAB, then just add it with 1:1 molasses to any sort of grain or bran and then let it dry :grin:

4 Likes

I haven’t made any yet, but @iamyou_youareme did a great tutorial and was kind enough to share on the SIP thread. I put a link up in the Link Farm for easy access. Check it out!!

5 Likes

@lambchopedd are you documenting these adventures anywhere? I’d like to follow your grows.

I’m doing probiotics SIP’s with Bokashi atm. I’m also putting g together a plan for a bokashi to worm bin super soil idea. All new so I’ll probably learn some hard lessons along the way :grin:

You guys should come check me out if this stuff interests you!

3 Likes

Thanks @CrunchBerries! You are always my go to guy for this stuff!

Guys if you like any of the stuff I was talking about, you gotta go see what CrunchBerries is doing! He’s the real OG when it comes to this!

4 Likes

Funny thing I started a bokashi bin the same time as this thread popped up :grinning:

Sounded like a good alternative to vermicompost for small urban places.

Only watered 3 times with the juice coming out of it (diluted 1%). Plants seems to appreciate it, gave a growth boost. They still seem to require some other fertilizers though. Alternating with nettle/comfrey juice, works well so far.

Plan is to experiment in used soil reamendement by decomposting the bokashi with it. A bit like in this video and some others shows:

2 Likes

Glad I found this thread today, I made some LABs a few weeks ago and I made far too much for my needs.
So I’m going to try making some Bokashi bran this weekend.

:v:

3 Likes

Hey @Loggershands, someone just liked an old comment and I remembered there is a screenshot of Grokashi’s recipe in the Link Farm at the top of the SIP thread. There is an added multivitamin and other assorted ingredients that I would like to try out when I do make some. Did you ever try Grokashi when it was out? I really liked it, but have since been using the Growing Organic’s Kashi Blend, with good results.

3 Likes

Hey @SonsOfAvery i guess the below comment would apply to you as well. That’s a project I’ve really wanted to try, as it’s a staple in my garden. Would love to see your process if you do make some.

1 Like

I’ll try to document it when I get going.
I usually start off well taking pics every step, then I zone out finish the project and forget to take pics of the last stages.

I will endeavour to do better this time though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ll have to do some rearing to see what I can use in place of wheat bran too, I have oates, but they’re rolled oates not whole. And I also have some malted barley, maybe that could work? :thinking:

1 Like

I did not, I’ve got some bokashi grain off Amazon and now I’m trying to make some at home :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@CrunchBerries
I remembered to document the process this afternoon…
Now it’s just a waiting game to see if it actually works haha.

2 Likes

Did someone say bokashi? I use it for all my cannabis scraps.

7 Likes

Now that is sure is living. Should be pretty adapted to cannabis growing I guess :grinning:

2 Likes