Bokashi fluids and castings

Hey there, I am not the all the way organics guy. My approach is a mix of minerals and organics. My soil is recycled with some charcoal, limestone and coco fiber added. The soil is while composting enriched by bokashi castings and fluids. This grow I added some bokashi fluids in my water during flowering and I have the feeling it made the flavor or smell much richer. To be more specific I’d say it made it more sweet but not like those sugary boosters, rather pretty round and deep sweet and fruity flavor. I had to double check the label of the plants. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I doubt that.
I did not have the chance to test the final product yet, but wanted to ask whether you guys experienced something similar? Let me be clear, I know there is the general argument that bio weed is better or tastes better. However, my question is specific to bokashi and what it might do to the flavor of the weed.
Further down the road I would like to know how often you give it during flowering and whether you experienced differences according to sativa or indica?
Cheers guys!

6 Likes

“Bokashi fluids”, such as the liquid at the bottom of the bucket you’re currently composting with bokashi??

I can’t speak on if/how that helped your grow. But I’m fairly sure that stuff is super acidic :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:
Would love to find a use for it other than waste

1 Like

You have to dilute it with water of course. But I have been told it is a vitamin bomb. My pal who is putting it on the compost and in his garden said it works wonders with the soil life.
In case you have been throwing it away until now you should reconsider. For me it is pretty clear it helps with soil life, but the terp thingy is new to me and I would like to know whether others observed that too.

2 Likes

I’m just starting a bin today! I’ve got some questions about your post?

How many times have you run this specific cut?

When you say bokashi casting, what are you referring to? Are you fermenting in buckets and then amending the soil with the fermented material? If so how is the smell? What’s the time line for total breakdown? When switch the process from anaerobic to aerobic within the soil do you get pests and if so how do you control them?

Also what ratio do you mix it with water?

4 Likes

Not that you asked me, but I figured maybe I could chime in. I fucking love bokashi and have been experimenting with it a bunch this summer.

1. I’ve topdressed str8 bokashi to soil and noticed virtually no benefit. Fermented (composted) material is the way to go imo. In theory, I can see the benefit of mixing the bran into potting mix… but not really my thing.

9 outta 10 times, the smell is neutral; i.e smells like fresh soil. However just recently I found a forgotten bucket of bokashi and it literally smelled like cadaver. Took a pic as a goof because the lady & I thought it was hilariously gross

1. YMMV but we tend to seal buckets up for six months before we ultilize them in the garden. Occasionally there’s some chunky/slimy bits that could probably break down a little more… but nothing crazy.

2. I’ve observed no pests indoors. Outdoors however, not-quite-composted material has attracted some critters

4 Likes

I’m top dressing some sip buckets right now! I think to see benefit, it’s mostly about the moisture conditions but I’m brand new at this so I do t really know the benefits??? :grin:

This is great as it was my main concern!

Do you use the Lechate?

7 Likes

Like, as in siphoning it off and using it separately? No.
But I’m open to the idea :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s supposed to be rich in enzymes and microorganisms but it’s is also very acidic and needs to be mixed with water first. Can’t find a solid ratio online (lots of different answers) but I’m going to start slow (25:1) and work my way up :grin:.

2 Likes

happy to have triggered your interest. :grinning:

So in my tent I have several cuts atm. Most are Santero’s Double Cocoas. But there are also two Zenith from ACE. The former I am growing now the third time and as I said, in the instant I noticed the smell I was wondering again which strain it was. This all just happened three hours ago and I am so surprised I am seeking help here now. :nerd_face:

So the thing is, a friend of mine has the bokashi buckets. I drop my old soil at his place, because he has a compost in his garden. When the bokashi is fermented (I guess after 4-5 weeks he said) he just dumps it on to the compost and the due to rain etc it drains down. He sometimes after a while also mixes it with the compost. I have to emphasise though that he is not a grower. He is no grower. He loves gardening and does that to calm down. So I cannot give you the full detail of how he does things.
I was hoping to actually benefit from the nerds around here and benefit from their expertese.
The fluids he puts on to the compost or he also just waters his whole garden with it. At the beginning his grass was very thin but he is convinced it has transformed into a carpet since he puts the liquids everywhere. The grass is indeed greener and tighter than of all his neighbours :stuck_out_tongue:
To what extend that’s due to the fluids I cannot assess by myself, but I trust him. He does not talk about it with anyone else but me. So there is no fame to gain from making it up.
Another friend is also making bokashi and feeds it to his worms, making worm castings for his soil and for making teas. I sometimes pick up some tea and bukashi fluids. I do not have a proper schedule for doing so, it is rather that they give me a wink and I come and collect. My guess is that it’s just a great mix of vitamins etc that makes your soil lives thrive and maybe also your terps. Hopefully some others can share their knowledge with us. It is quite an interesting hypothesis I would say.

Well my friend said 15-30ml per liter. I try to match that but I find the smell so disgusting that I do not measure properly.
I have a pretty laissez-faire grow style. I work, go to festivals, clubs, have an active social life. Ideally the plants grow by themselves.

Sorry if that was not very helpful

1 Like

Tbh I guess the ratios also vary according to your brew. Everyone telling you that it should be a fixed amount might be a bit too fixated about rules. Unless you always have the ingredients in your bokashi there will be some variation. Probably your waste is also varying here and there.

That’s great. Have you noticed a change in flavors in your weed?

1 Like

Can’t say. I don’t have a control to compare it to.

Does anyone make their on bokashi bran? I’m trying this week. I’ve made LAB and have some wheat bran and molasses :grin:

Any tips for making bran?

3 Likes

Yessir @Loggershands
No real tricks to it, other than releasing any air pressure that builds up. If you’re using 5gal buckets with their corresponding lid, you can just crack it without exposing the whole batch. I tend to keep them as sealed as possible until they’re “done”.

Currently I’ve also been experimenting with making bokashi with barley, corn, and guinea pig shit (long story). Basically stuff I have access to. Inoculation took, but I haven’t used it to compost yet.

3 Likes

Well, nice to see you guys brewing up some expertese :man_student:

1 Like

The more I looked into it, the more making the bran on your own makes sense. It’s super easy to make the LAB, then just add it with 1:1 molasses to any sort of grain or bran and then let it dry :grin:

4 Likes

I haven’t made any yet, but @iamyou_youareme did a great tutorial and was kind enough to share on the SIP thread. I put a link up in the Link Farm for easy access. Check it out!!

5 Likes

@lambchopedd are you documenting these adventures anywhere? I’d like to follow your grows.

I’m doing probiotics SIP’s with Bokashi atm. I’m also putting g together a plan for a bokashi to worm bin super soil idea. All new so I’ll probably learn some hard lessons along the way :grin:

You guys should come check me out if this stuff interests you!

3 Likes

Thanks @CrunchBerries! You are always my go to guy for this stuff!

Guys if you like any of the stuff I was talking about, you gotta go see what CrunchBerries is doing! He’s the real OG when it comes to this!

4 Likes

Funny thing I started a bokashi bin the same time as this thread popped up :grinning:

Sounded like a good alternative to vermicompost for small urban places.

Only watered 3 times with the juice coming out of it (diluted 1%). Plants seems to appreciate it, gave a growth boost. They still seem to require some other fertilizers though. Alternating with nettle/comfrey juice, works well so far.

Plan is to experiment in used soil reamendement by decomposting the bokashi with it. A bit like in this video and some others shows:

2 Likes

Glad I found this thread today, I made some LABs a few weeks ago and I made far too much for my needs.
So I’m going to try making some Bokashi bran this weekend.

:v:

3 Likes