Bonsai Mums by Oldtimer1

It’s been a shitty year for anything growing outdoors in most of the north/east. Especially for you poor souls in the US mid-west. I’m in SW Ontario and it’s been hell with the rain and cold. Be patient, it’ll come for you. Soon enough it’ll be hot as hell and you’ll be out watering every day.

3 Likes

It’s just easier for me to take a clone and replace the older woody mothers.

7 Likes

Love it,…,…all

I’m going to learn fast how to bonsai my keepers. I forgot to set my notifications on this thread. I’m finally at a spot where I can safely start saving them. Plus, I finally have some things worth saving! :wink:

5 Likes

Omg I remember this thread, I followed the guidelines and kept a mother for a good while, and produced many many clones. It’s good to know many of these have been brought back.

6 Likes

Oldtimer is still active, albeit on another forum. He’s pretty old now but he’s still going. I read he keeps his mums bonsai for around 3-4 years.

Actually one of the last things I read him post was that he found that a lot of breeders are unaware of viruses affecting cannabis.

6 Likes

You know, my understanding was that, in his younger days, ot1 was the Haze King. He had a website all about different Haze strains. I don’t know if it’s still up, I can’t find the link I had to it, but it was a neat site.

6 Likes

He’s a pretty humble guy. He calls himself “just a gardener”. He’s just as passionate about growing good fruit and veg. He worked with some blueberry and flo seeds from DJ Short and he also worked some varieties from Nigeria. A couple of his well known strains are Oldtimer’s Haze and Little Hands. He has some other varieties but says they were created in a search for certain expressions. He’s not a flashy person. For instance another strain he had was simply called Oldtimes. It was very nice and he gave good explanations of what you’d find in a pack.
Impressive guy. He’s done a lot in terms of furthering peoples understanding of how to grow and grow well whilst remaining in the shadows.

14 Likes

:rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

11 Likes

More bondage…

13 Likes

Cannabase was the site he had stuff on years ago irc it’s still about and bits from the bcga days

3 Likes

Hi @ReikoX, but don’t they ever get root bound? I mean, you don’t ever need to prune parts of the roots? How do you feed them? And how often? Thanks! Awesome plants!

1 Like

Fabric pots are air pruning, so the roots are kept short for you. Plants dry up a bit faster, so watering a bit more. I really like it (in general plant use, not just cannabis) much better than plastic.

5 Likes

No the fabric pots prevent the roots from binding. I, generally, feed every other day. Once is water, the next is food. I’ve beennusing Megacrop for a bit, but think I’m going back to the Schultz 10-15-10 with fish emulsion and superthrive (DrBudGreenGenes feed formula).

I generally replace them with a fresh clone every 9-12 months.

8 Likes

Hi @ReikoX and @ChemicalDependant, thanks for the info. I’m thinking of making a bonsai out of one my OG Kush clones.

from the same plants, before you flower one last time, right? Thanks. You folks are great!

1 Like

Yes, but I rarely flower out mother plants. They get too bushy with all the trimming IMO. I just toss them in the worm bin.

4 Likes

Wow, worms must have a ball when that happens…! Good thing we aren’t next door neighbors; I’d be recycling every one of them!

4 Likes

If you do some carful pruning, you could grow one out and flower them but you really have to whack back those branches.
I always try to make a mother from a fresh clone, don’t flower that one.

2 Likes

Hi @ReikoX, while watering like the above do you use a fairly dilute solution of Megacrop? and any runoff?

1 Like

I won’t be using megacrop anymore. I’m going back to the Schultz 10-15-10, fish emulsion, and Superthrive. I got salt buildup after about six months and lost a few mothers.

7 Likes