Breeding question. Simple yet wordy

Has anyone crossed 2 strains both ways? Using let’s say a male kush on a female cookies and then separately a male cookies on a female kush. Even reversing one on to the other, and visa versa. I was just curious on any similarities or maybe more importantly Any differences.

6 Likes

I’d say that’s a form of incrossing.
C x K = F1
K x C = F1
(CxK)(KxC)=IX1

Assuming the parent plant genetics are consistent across the F1 generation (C and K males and females from the same breeding lines)

In theory, you would select plants from both F1 generations that exhibit your desirable traits, and cross them to attempt to stabilize those expressions.
It’s the same idea as any breeding approach really, just another way of getting there.
This is all theoretical understanding, but for sure @LouDog420 has some real world experience; I’ve got some of his (Casey Jones x Sour Bubble) x (Sour Bubble x Casey Jones)

3 Likes

Hey I appreciate the feed back! I get how in theory it all works I was looking more for real world application. Just to see how similar those 2 packs of seeds would be. I figure more structure differences than anything but idk. I was just stoned driving around and the thought popped in my head. I haven’t bread or chucked pollen yet. So I don’t have any experience in this department.

1 Like

It’s a slippery slope! I just did my first ever pollen chuck…and then I did it again on the next strain, and then the next one.
My roommate just knows to look for stray seeds when she smokes…and to save them!

2 Likes

CSI HUMBOLDT is selling some in both possible ways. Like Chem 91 reversed to Chem D and also Chem D reversed to Chem 91. I don’t know anything about the outcome.

2 Likes

Technically the results should be relatively the same…the only real variation will be from the individual plants. Quality bred plants should be true breeding, thus the crosses should be the same.

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

And it represent generally the longest masochist failures i’ve made since XX years of practice, the ones that are lasting a few generations. Limitations/badly locked traits appear a few generations later, not in the next one if you’re doing the job with care.

So yes, it can have a drastic impact on your results. Even when you know perfectly the lines used. The wannabe will say “make twos lines, test the twos, smoke everything, and spend one year for just a step” and i will not.

My advise : keep a cut for reference somewhere. Can be a bonsaï or little. Then compare and don’t accept the “next step” if it’s not an improvement on the reference. This way, you will always be able to fix your errors without losing an half dozen of round on it to reach the wall.

3 Likes

Yes, I have done this exactly !
I’d be happy to share what I’ve found.

Ok, SO… What happens is while the two halves to the equation are the “same”, different genetic reflections will occur because of which traits pass along the maternal and paternal lines.

Males, generally pass on traits like structure, vigor, growth rate and resistances. While females tend to pass on flavors, smells things of that nature.

That’s not to say that zero flavors come from the male - but it’s generally minimal. A hint of kind of situation.

Usually, in my projects I DO seek out makes who have a complimentary flavor to the females I’m breeding - but that’s only because I have the choice to pick from a large genetic library.

Interestingly (and though I’m not a fan), when they create feminized strains from two females - it seems like expressions from both females blend, despite being a hermaphroditic flower that does the pollination.

3 Likes

That’s awesome thank you!

2 Likes

I think it’s called a reciprocal cross, mendels experiments concluded that there was no difference between them, though this was in reference to simple inheritance.
Additive inheritance may be slightly different, but I’m just speculating on that.
Reciprocal crosses are done to determine if and what the ‘maternal effect’ might be, as it’s only the female side that passes on cytoplasmic dna. @Buddhachronic details the practical outcomes of this. Keep in mind that you would need true breeding strains to get concrete repeatable results, the likelihood of getting plants with exactly the same phenotypes is pretty small, even with an IBL. This is easier with selfing and probably more consistent in terms of the mix.

1 Like

I would like to point out once again, that in cannabis just like in humans, different traits are passed via mitochondrial DNA (maternal) than paternal.
Take male pattern baldness for example, that trait comes from your mother’s genetic line and not your father’s.
This is why when breeders select males (in cannabis) they target males that have the traits they’re looking for to strengthen the vigor of the females. Height, vigor, mold resistance, things of that nature.
Having done breeding for decades - those traits absolutely pass on to the offspring while flavors,smells (terpenes) only pass on in miniscule amounts.
Of dozens and dozens of males - almost all passable traits were expressed in the above mentioned features and terpene contribution was almost negligible

3 Likes