Before I do this. What’s your thoughts?

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering about this myself, I glad you asked the question. :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Short answer: no

4 Likes

I don’t know the answer for sure but personally I think it would depend on what parent has the dominant genes. We all know that no two seeds are alike so a male and a female seed of strain A or B would be a different, making the new cross have different results

3 Likes

I dunno if this helps much but look at when you get twins from a single seed, seperate them then grow them both out. 9 times out of 10 they grow completely different.

This becomes a topic of concern when you are crossing strains with vastly different flowering times.
Example if you are crossing long and short flowering strains id advice to use pollen from the faster finisher on the female of the longer flowering plant.
If long flowering pollen was used on a short flowering plant I would be concerned about the seeds being able to mature before the plant itself starts to die.
I have seen this exact scenario occur and although it’s not a issue every time it’s really depressing to see tiny white seeds come out of completely over mature nugs when they were pollinated at the very onset of flower.
In the specific instance I’m referring to a Durban male was used on some 8-9 week hybrids , they were allowed to stay outside till November when the cold killed the plants and the seeds were still not done.

9 Likes

What does it matter if it’s open pollenation…

2 Likes

I say the more the merrier

The seed size will be different on indica vs sativa moms.

2 Likes

There might be similarities between the groups of offspring, but there would definitely be a lot of genes that pass differently or not at all. If you use male A, then male Bs genes are lost in the population. Same the other way. Sex linked genes are for real.

3 Likes

13 Likes

The way I understand it. When you get twins from one seed, one will be a clone of the mom genetically, the other will be the result of the cross of mom + dads pollen…

Females tend to pass on more traits as well.

I’ve wondered about the reciprocal breeding myself, but I would be willing to bet A x B would be different from B x A, just because the moms are different…

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering this myself, especially with fem crosses. If you take to different cuts, how much difference (if any) does it make as to which is reversed and which is the mom. I want to try this myself. Take two strains, two clones of each. Reverse one of each to pollinate the other with, then see if the daughters tend to lean more towards mom or “dad”. Though that would really change based on each plants genetics based on which has more dominant genes.

4 Likes

The reason why twins are always hot is becuase they have double the sexy gene.

1 Like

Genetically, I think you’re asking about sex-linked traits. There are almost certainly some in cannabis, but it’s not certain that anybody has identified them. Might have to dig into hemp research…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think the maturation time of the male would change how the seeds are produced by the female. The fruit/seed structure is all dependent on the mother plant making them, I don’t think the genes of the pollen are part of the seed, just in the embryo. The embryo has the combined genes, but the seed structure and food for the seedling is all part of mom, like the yoke and shell of an egg.
However, on that note, Does the size of the seed change how much nutrient/energy is available to the seeding as it sprouts and breaks ground, and would the hybrids be hindered by the mixed need for different amounts of energy needed for the genetics. would hybrid seedling from a sativa mother (smaller seeds) be as vigorous as the same cross made with the indica as the mother (bigger seed). Like crossing a small and large breed dog together (why?!?) you ideally use the larger breed as the mother as the pups would just be smaller than normal for their breed, while the same cross with a small mother could possibly not developed properly or even injure the mother.

When breeding chickens, do chicks of mixed breeds ever get too big for their egg before they’re ready??

2 Likes

Sex linked traits aside, is there any proof that fem seeds/plants aren’t as healthy or vigorous as the regular counterparts. Would breeding several generations of just fems cause issues (assuming hermies aren’t a problem in the line).

1 Like

No, and no.
All depends on breeder, strain, or luck if it’s a tested polyhybrid…just like any other seed. You lose some diversity naturally from removing the males.

3 Likes

I think it’s fine. The only potential problem I can see is that it’s possible the most sexually stable females are also the most difficult to reverse.

3 Likes

You would think but the male does influence more then just the embryo , look into the recent studies showing why a hot pepper plant can pollinate a sweet pepper and make the sweet peppers turn hot. This was always thought to be a myth because science couldn’t explain it but farmers knew it to be true. Now science can explain it so it turns out to be true. observation is often more accurate then theory as long as the observation is not mistaken.
The scientific process is supposed to involve observation and then using science to try and explain those observations and there causes. All to often people try to use science to explain why something isn’t possible or is just a myth like the current opinion that flushing is not necessary.
Pollinate a 8 week indica with a 16+ week sativa and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

4 Likes