Brix levels, do they matter? What raises the Brix level? šŸ”„

Looks like the brix test can in fruit be the fruit itself tested in the refractometerā€¦ Iā€™m curious as to if we should use leaves to closer know the real brixā€¦ or the actual bud like you saidā€¦ hmmmmm my brainā€¦ it hurts :laughing: @HolyAngel

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a cool link to some info

5 Likes

You can absolutely pluck buds off squish them in a garlic press and test the sap for brix percentage.

4 Likes

Iā€™m curious as tonif it would be close to the same or notā€¦ you wouldnā€™t think so @SeymourGreen

2 Likes

I have only ever done it once before because I donā€™t have a lot of buds to spare lol! Just a lower bud and from what I remember the brix level was the same as the leaves. Around 5%.

3 Likes

This is an interesting read.

5 Likes

I mix it in with my coffee to get a general idea

6 Likes

Wow thatā€™s extremely interesting!!! @ReikoX I know knows his soil and I assume he may know brix levels or maybe some things associated with it, I really want to get as much correct info as possible on the subject

2 Likes

I own a refractometer, but have never used it. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

A good article, in fact a lot of good articles and products here:

5 Likes

Does thar method help dump Brix?

1 Like

11 Likes

You saying boron guy was right this whole time!? :joy:

11 Likes

Wow that was a great read thank you for posting!!
Looks like some good info as far as brix being importantā€¦ obviously it absolutely guaranteed has everything to do with densityā€¦ so bud density as wellā€¦ I like how you can tell if there not enough calcium by a sharp line etcā€¦ so interesting man

4 Likes

Hereā€™s some good info on the topic

4 Likes

Make of sugar ā†’ photosynthesis
Use of sugar ā†’ respiration

Directly sugar has nothing to do with your smoke.
Indirectly may influence.

And btw, the sugar is food source for plant and nutrients are vitamin.
So donā€™t focus on nutrients. Focus on ecological environment so both climate and rootzone.

9 Likes

Sorry will add moreā€¦

Photosynthesis requires PAR+CO2+H2O.
Respiration requires Temperature.

Photosynthesis decides maximum growth. Ex) volume of the plants get bigger.
Respiration decided maximum development. Ex) new leaf emerging. new shoot emerging.

Hopefully this helps for peop, who did not know about it

5 Likes

And checking the brix level will prove if you are doing these things rightā€¦ brix isnā€™t about nutrients onlyā€¦ or sugars onlyā€¦ itā€™s about retentionā€¦ and I think it truly has a lot to do with quality at this pointā€¦ throughout this thread already we know nitrate nitrogen will lower the brixā€¦ even if you achieve a high ecā€¦ low brixā€¦
So the focus in this thread is about brixā€¦ why it matters and how to raise it in an optimal wayā€¦ because it can be raised in false waysā€¦ and lowered in false waysā€¦ itā€™s extremely interesting and I want to build a greater understanding for myself and everyone else ā€¦ because after what Iā€™ve read just in the few posts hereā€¦ itā€™s obvious that it is extremely important for a marijuana grower to care about.

4 Likes

I donā€™t get your point

It is well proven that sugar is made by photosyn.

Generally in crops for high end market, grower raise EC that is to hinder water potential, right? Itā€™s not like they are necessarily trying to increase absolute sugar contents in a crop.
So itā€™s to achieve high sugar content in 1g by decreasing the yield.

I would def like to know if sugar content has to do with secondary metabolite production.
Though should careful miss-leading. For ex) really high sugar content often means excessive radiation, with that radiation youā€™ll get more trichome due to defensive mechanism. That doesnā€™t mean sugar increased trichome. It just means radiation increased both sugar content and trichome production.

4 Likes

Oh I didnā€™t mean it like thatā€¦ I meant attempting to raise certain things in certain ways theoretically raises brix levelā€¦

2 Likes