Budget nutrients &additives question

Hey guys, I have some old bottles of budget hydro nutrients I used to use before my accident. So they’ve been sitting idle for quite some time. Now they produced more than adequate results before but after looking at all these new nutrients available now(the price blew me away how expensive they are. So being budget conscious I was thinking perhaps I could use my old nutrients and just add a dash or two of some of the additives available now. What do you guys recommend? Thanks guys :+1:

6 Likes

Well now , you may want to be a tad bit more informative. What are you talking about specifically?

1 Like

@Hydro921 You may want to chime in. I have to get ready for work. This will be interesting…

2 Likes

Go to salts, no sense paying for water and plenty of options out there.

8 Likes

I agree with @Mr.Sparkle .
I’d go to salts. Liquid nutrients have a shelf life.
If it’s old I wouldnt use it personally

3 Likes

Hydroponic solutions Precipitate back into solids. Once that happens, no amount of effort will bring the original ratio back to stasis. I use older stuff for home and garden plants.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mix nutrient companies unless you have a broad understanding of the chemical compounds involved and how to properly use them…when mixing up nutrients Alkaline need to be added first, then Acids…

You might want to look into something different or just get the same as what you currently have.

Or maybe try something new?

General Hydroponics makes a product called Maxibloom that’s very effective and cheap! Produces a high quality of product as well and only 1 part. 1 tsp per gallon from start to finish in coco…doesn’t get much easier or cheaper…

I use and have for a long time…JR Peters 3/2/1…years ago was called Peters Pro Hydroponic but basically the same! It’s a very high quality nutrient program that I’d put up against anything on the market even the ever popular Athena brand nutrients

Both are dry nutrients that you mix yourself for a small fraction of a bottled liquid nutrient.

There is information of both Jacks 3/2/1 and Maxibloom here if I’m not mistaken…I know Jacks 3/2/1 for sure.

If you have questions let me know

Alaskagrown

7 Likes

It’s probably fine. Really depends on what nutrients, how old, etc.

If there’s some precipitate you can mix the nutrients with an equal volume hot water and it should re-dissolve most of it. Double dosage to account for the volume difference.

3 Likes

Like @Alaskagrown said, Jack’s 321 is solid. I made the switch two years ago and I’ll never go back.

Heard and seen people use maxi with good results too, but I have no personal experience with it.

For your old nutes, do you hear any solids moving around when you shake the bottle. That’s the “test” I have done in the past to see if it’s still good or not… if you hear solids it’s done.

2 Likes

Thanks heaps guys your help is really appreciated!! I’ll read up tonight about salts and see what my local hydro store has & I’ll try and have a chat with him. I’ll be doing recirculating dwc to keep things simple for me as it’s what I used to do before my accident. It’s been 3 or 4 years & I guess add to that my brain injury and surgeries so I’m going to read alot of grow diaries here as well as nutrient feeding schedules etc as my memory is pretty bad so if I can refresh and revise a few times to hopefully get some results.
Thanks again guys!

7 Likes

Often they have pretty good directions so you can use those as a guideline. Mine are fairly accurate +/-

2 Likes

I don’t know you but it sounds like you’re doing better so that’s great news and growing your garden back should be great therapy, I know it helps me after a long day to sit and talk to my girls.
Here’s to your recovery man, good luck.

4 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate it, I’m feeling heaps more enthusiastic since I joined this site, I can’t wait to get my tent going :grinning: I think it will be very therapeutic like you say , I miss spending time with plants and having a little control in my medication is really appealing to me. Peace brother :pray:

2 Likes

Yeah thanks man I’ll be paying close attention to their feeding charts. The only thing it’s a bit confusing for me on some of them. So I’ll try get someone to write a simplified version for me. But I’ll put up the details of the nutrients I buy :+1:

2 Likes

can’t get much sounder advise than that. I use foxfarm lines and sup’s but my grows are 4-6 plants. Definitely not budget` I give them guys credit they know their shit and I never have to worry. trio use good amounts of big bloom, req cal-mag and kelp me kelp you “this shits the bomb” and adding Bembe to the flower mix. This year ditching the sledgehammer for flush gonna use the bembe if I was growing more plants my nutes would’nt be cost effective.

2 Likes

Some are simple like “add 20ml per gallon” and some are much more complicated.

1 Like

Yeah I know mate some are really complicated for me, I used to have a notebook with handwritten feeding schedule that my old friend taught me years ago and it was fantastic, it was like week 2 raise ppm to *** and so on right through to peak flower and it produced amazing results, but I no longer have it and I can’t get in contact with my old mate. So I’ll have to really search for something similar. I know all strains are different with some being light feeders to heavy feeders and so on but would be great to have a ballpark idea of what to aim for until I get to know the strains better and their needs. Peace :v:

2 Likes