BUGS ON BUDS picture show: protective defenders

I like to set out water for them to drink. They dry up indoors without a water supply.

3 Likes

Got 2 new photos one is my new jumping spider buddy and this little red spider thing it’s all over the new clone pulled out of the dome. It was on it fast looking for food.

4 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

That moth is not your friend.
Was she laying eggs? :scream:

Nice looking freak. What kind is it?

2 Likes

Saw this winged aphid eater scoping out an aphid yesterday

2 Likes

This morning i was looking over my plants and saw a couple of bizzare looking petioles. Here’s a close up

As i looked closer

I realize it’s not polite to say it, but she’s a fat bottomed girl.

4 Likes

Just found this thread…my seedling rack has been a mantis magnet lately! Happy to have them around.

:alien:

:call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Very cool! Did you buy some eggs?

@PineTarBastard Naw, but there are enough of them around the area that I occasionally spot an egg case hanging out and try to keep an eye open for the hatch. They’re really cool to watch when they’re still tiny and moving in hordes! (Edit; they’re really cool to watch…no matter the size!) I’ve got a number of greenhouses and big as they are, I often find that they’ve found a way in and are on patrol!

2 Likes

@Tlander i’ve seen babies in the spring running around upright on two legs, looking like little Velociraptors :grinning:

1 Like

I just found what looks like the same species(or super similar) chillin on one of my plants. Its not the same species as the visitor from a year or 2 ago, so I went googling. Turns out both species in Michigan are invasive. One from china and one from europe.
The one from before was hanging out at my front door eating a wasp. European version

And the one from just now, which is the china one

2 Likes

I heard the brown ones are native Mantis and the green ones are invasive Mantis…I have these on my plants right now…

3 Likes

oh it could be. I have no idea where ur from, or how similar different species might look. But it looks a lot alike. That one u just posted is the craziest. Scary lookin.

1 Like

Midwest and in Illinois to be exact…

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face:the ones we all love Spider Mites :mage:

th

tons of assassin bugs doing work :grin:

1 Like

I thought I had replied to this again. I looked and looks like these last ones are your native ones, and then you also have the europe and china ones. Those last guys must not like the cold cause we dont have those right above you in MI.

2 Likes