I know I've seen this Leaf-sucking Pest Before

I am bemused and frustrated.

I know for a certainty that I’ve seen this leaf problem before but I just cannot place it.

So, I humbly submit to the Jury of My Betters, a diagnostic review of the leaf damage pictured below, hopefully along with handy tips on how to mercilessly eradicate it from my beloved Tres Widows outdoor plant.

HELP friends…

4 Likes

Caterpillar damage I think.

1 Like

You see any caterpillar poop on the leaves below it? I’ve had similar damage from weird little green and red crickets I only ever noticed on weed plants. I thought it was a green lynx spider at first.

Agree :arrow_up_small: :arrow_up_small: :arrow_up_small:, look around for Safer BTK Caterpillar Killer, anything with BTK will work … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

OK and thx. I have BT on hand and know how to use it.

No sign of worms or their shite. Such a characteristic “mosaic” pattern on the leaf damage… I know I’ve seen it somewhere.

So far, just a few leaves but the Tres Widows is an important plant and I want to keep on top of it.

1 Like

New Clue: There’s a little white moth that appears about this time every year. I’ve never proven it but I reckon she is the cause of the tiny wormy caterpillars I see in my late harvest corn every year.

“The Winter Moth” is that it?

Nope, that’s not it. New England is plagued with Winter Moth, my poor little orchard is plagued with those damned parachuting worms!

But they eat leaves, they don’t nibble in cryptic patterns. And, they aren’t “White.”

Nuff to make a guy Grouchy!

2 Likes

Leaf hoppers make that damage too. I get them and the leaves look just like that. Never seen a caterpillar, but hoppers for sure

2 Likes

They’re all over my garden too. I believe the caterpillars are loopers. BT helps until the flowers get too big.

1 Like

Leafhoppers munch the leaves, damage look like bites:

these holes are most probably done by caterpillars or Sawfly Larvae

5 Likes

I’ve seen that pic on Google. But I’ll provide a pic tonight of my leaf hopper damage and it looks identical to the OPs leaf damage

1 Like

Check out the products from sierranaturalscience.com SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Took the pics this morning.
Leaf Hopper Damage

2 Likes

Leaf Hopper, sure looks like my annoying beastie’s work.

I’ve only seen it on a few leaves, no real damage yet. What are you using to treat them? My plant is in early flower.

1 Like

Essential oils + alcohol
Then Dr Zymes worked against them and the Wooly Aphids. Looking at the pics, could be the caterpillars or leaf hoppers :+1:t3:Good luck

1 Like

As I lay in my hot tub on the back deck, admiring the Tres Widows Mother plant…

… what did I see but a strange and colorful flying bug, landing on the apical bud, a mere three feet away!!!

‘Huzzah,’ quoth I as I dashed off to nab my iThing in order to grab the pics below.

Here’s the culprit, Leaf Hopper??? Some variety, pretty sure.

He/She, caught eying a tasty WW bud with mischief in mind!

I was too absorbed in capturing a pics of the little pest to “send him to heaven,” so he flew one way and I waved in his general direction. Once I know what a problem is, I usually can figger a solution.

Most pests die when they touch/taste Permetherin or Pyretherin, and these rascal eat leaves so ‘Die MoFo Leaf Eaters!’

Thx for the comments and suggestions above OGers! You folks Rawk!

-Grouchy

2 Likes

I think it’s a soldier bug also called stink bug, kill them all! hunter|nullxnull

1 Like

Or perhaps this guy? They eat “Pollen.”

Black-and-Red-Bug (Lygaeus equestris)

"In the Lygaeidae family, Lygaeus equestris is a ground bug with the common name Black-and-Red-bug. These bugs are ½ inch in length. Their wings are ta vibrant red and their legs are long. The red-black pattern deters insects and protects them. Warm weather is crucial for L. equestris because it is a sun-loving insect.

The bug has been recorded to feed on a range of plants. Many of these are poisonous. By accumulating the toxic elements of their feeding plants, they are distasteful to potential predators."

1 Like

Insurgent :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Google Lens is amazing icon_e_surprised|nullxnull, kill them all!! :grin:

1 Like