BushDoctor coco Loco

So I bought a huge bag of this, do I mix anything with it? Ewc?

4 Likes

I would also love an answer to this I am in the same boat I bought it when i didn’t know much and now I’m not sure what to do with it lol

2 Likes

Same as the others just with coco. Still needs to be fed.

1 Like

This is my “goto” atm. There are supplements. This isn’t straight coco coir. -just a note there. I still add perlite and dolomite lime and pour boiling water through it for sterilization.

1 Like

So (bear with me I’m a noob) you can grow in just Coco loco as long as you are giving all the nutes? I have the gaia green powder nutes 444 and 284 would I just mix some of that in before potting? And then top dress afterwards when it needs it. Also are you saying add more perilite to it the bag says it’s 70%coco 30%perlite and wheat does dolomite lime do exactly? Also I heard when using Coco coir you have to use a different pH when watering is that true? Lol sorry for all the questions I had a bag of some strawberry fields but last time I opened it looked/smelled no Bueno. So now I’d like to make use of this Coco loco if I can

1 Like

Yes you can grow in straight coco loco. It does have some nutrients in it. I water the first time and let it set a couple days before I water again.

1 Like

Yes- in straight coco what you put in, nutrient wise is what the plant gets. (FoxFarms brands their straight coco as “Big Boy Pants”. Always wondered if that was like “ya better know what you’re doing.” ?

But coco loco is supplemented with organic nutrients, mycobacterium, and has some intrinsic nutritional value. It seems like most soil based grows, for me it runs out of steam before flowering finish.

It may be that because I add perlite to increase oxygen and help ensure good drainage my “juice” runs out faster. ?

I think it helps and my roots seem to thrive.

PH runs higher in coco. Always read to keep ph around 5.8. I’m really not sure to treat coco loco like straight coco or like soil, so I just try to stay above 6.0 and will let occasionally let it go as high as 7.0, but treat 6.2 - 6.3 as my target.

I’m not certain adding dolomite it absolutely necessary with straight coco or even with coco loco, but I do know it seems to have helped me with calcium uptake and PH stabilization.

Maybe some of the more experienced OGrs can comment and set me straight? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it! Sone really good info there I will definitely be using any recommendations for a good pH meter? I have a cheap Amazon one but I’m not sure if I trust it

This. Must. Be. Fed.

I don’t use coco but I stopped adding extra perlite a long time ago. My mix has plenty of perlite in it anyway.

2 Likes

I have never done ph with coco loco. I do start using jacks 321 pretty soon after I transplant.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Generally I fertigate weekly, which I’ll admit, a lot of folks say is too often, and will foliar feed as needed. Been running the FF trio w/ bloom boosters, microbe brew, kelp and silica supplements.

2 Likes

That’s cool man. As long as you’re on top of it.

I just get irritated with enriched soil because it runs out, and who can say when, and I’d rather just fertilize myself. But that’s me :+1:

3 Likes

Maybe I’m just a control freak :joy: ask Mrs Foreigner.

4 Likes

Im trying coco for the first time, I mixed it with some store bought soil (Mother Earth) still seems to be pretty nutrient deficient, added a bag of FFOF when I up potted and everything looks good.

2 Likes

I’v mixed coco loco in the past to fox farms happy frog and ocean Forrest to add a little coco to the blend. Worked out well, excellent drainage, less compaction than without it.

In the end though you’re trading off better drainage for less nutrients, so it depends on what is more beneficial to your growing style.

1 Like