Do I need to add perlite to my Coco Coir and if so how much

I’m starting a grow and will be using coco coir. I’ve never used it before and am wondering if I should mix some perlite with it, and in what proportions? I have Fox Farms Bush Doctor Coco Loco, and Perlite.

Some places I’ve looked suggest a 70/30 mix. Any help you can give is appreciated!

SkyDog

4 Likes

That coco loco is good to go, I never bothered with added perlite and had no issues with it. It’s got some nutrients in it to start, but you will likely need to supliments by the end.

5 Likes

I’ll back up Reiko , Straight coco. Only reason to add perlite is if you want your media to hold less water, which also means you have to water more frequently.

Some coco specifically the cheap stuff does have a lot of small particle or pith content, which holds onto too much water and where additions of perlite would help.

But again go straight coco.

2 Likes

Awesome! I have some hydro nutes (also Fox Farms) that I will be using after a while.

Glad I asked. I love this place. You guys always come through. Beans are just starting to pop and I’m getting stoked about this, my first grow in 30+ years.

Thanks again!

7 Likes

That should work just fine. I ran Coco Loco and Biocanna for a year or two with good results.

2 Likes

i do about 50/50 just because perlite is so much cheaper than coco :blush: im watering every 2nd day in late flower

1 Like

I have been growing in coco coir for a couple months now, and have been using a 70/30 coco to perlite mix, and have never seen such gigantic, healthy, explosive root development in my life! I think the airation perlite provides allows the roots to just thrive. They were literally dangling 10" down from out of the drain holes!

3 Likes