Buying my millions of little buddies a drink

So, I just had a thought as I’m sitting in my garage smoking and having a couple of these non-alcoholic Guinesses (which are fan-fucking-tastic, with the nitro widget and everything).

My thought was this: I’m gonna start sharing these with my plants, people talk about old timers using flat sour beer as a soil food, presumably that let the alcohol evaporate out and maybe a little microbial growth from the air. Well, I drink NA craft beers all the time, and I figure maybe I’ll start taking a few ounces sometimes and mixing with some water for my weed plants, like when I forget one and find it a day later with 4 oz left in the can. Thoughts? Can’t see how it would hurt, seems like it might be a pretty awesome food for my microbes with all the nice malts and yeast cells.

7 Likes

Interesting :thinking:

Both the fact that decent NA beer exists and the thought to use as microbe refreshment. Haven’t drank a beer in long enough that pic of NA Guinness shocked me :rofl:

3 Likes

I agree, I have not researched the topic, but it makes good sense to me.
Probably some sugar in there too.
As long as the old beer does not smell rank you should be good.
Usually the smelly microbes are the bad ones.
This should be fun and interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I mean I think it would be a great addition I often do a malted barley top dress the plants sure seem to love it I imagine it would be pretty similar

5 Likes

Don’t think it a bad idea at all and definitely couldn’t hurt. Found this during a cursory search, so maybe a dopplebock would be a good start.

“The term “liquid bread” came from monks, as bread and beer come from similar ingredients and beer was used for sustenance during periods of strict fasting, such as Lent. The dopplebock beer style was invented by monks as a nutrient during Lent.”

3 Likes

I had an amazing dopplebock beer from a local az brewery one of the better beers I’ve ever tried @CrunchBerries

3 Likes