Can a plant be in veg and flower at the same time

Working on a project and I was pondering upon something. Can a plant be in veg and flower at the same time. For example. If I have the bottom of a plant in 18/6 and a branch pulled through into 12/12 will the branch flower and the bottom stay in veg? Is this possible?

8 Likes

I don’t think so. Seems like the entire plant is along for the ride since it’s triggered by hormones.

5 Likes

Not the same plant… two separate plants sure.
I don’t think Cannabis plants will ever be capable of 50% veg & 50% flower on the same plant, Even IF a flowing fem was grafted onto a Veg Fem.

5 Likes

What are you trying to do? Make seeds on one branch while keeping the whole thing in veg?

4 Likes

This you Can do. Can make seeds just off the Pre flower pistols while in veg.
@Foreigner @Chronickyle

6 Likes

I would not think so. When darkness hits a certain length per evening it triggers a change in the whole plant. I don’t believe you could isolate part of the plant from this change.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s possible to bloom one branch, I’m trying to remember who did it, made a light proof divider that let the branch through to a section of the setup that was set to bloom lighting.

4 Likes

Really, that does not seem possible to me so I am very interested. Please post if you remember as I would love to read about this.

4 Likes

So I had this thought where I had a giant pot with a base plant in it and I was grafting cuttings onto it I had the grafted branches in a seperate tent so they would flower and by grafting I already have a giant root base so the plant can start growing at an increased rate.

So grafted parts go into a tent to flower and rootstock base stays in veg tent to veg. Lol. That was my idea.

2 Likes

My buddy told me about someone who was doing this without grafting so I was thinking it may be possible but was hoping someone could verify. Supposedly this guy wa just pulling branches through to his flowering tent to flower. But leave the rest in veg. Would be nice to hear of a second account though vs just hearing through the grape vine during a sesh.

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face:you can do this by grafting but remember the root designs the plant :mask:

2 Likes

No grafting involved, just just made a wall and pulled the branch through and bloomed it.

3 Likes

It’s possible. I saw a pic in one of Rev’s books I think. Half a plant in veg and the other half in flower from light leaking in from a street lamp

3 Likes

Yes it’s possible , I had a outdoor plant that was half and half, the side in veg was still in veg when the other half finished. This was a outdoor plant that was getting a crap ton of light on one side from a window it was right next to that the roommate swore he was keeping blacked out , turns out he wasn’t.

6 Likes

Scrogmonster on ICmag did exactly this last year. Look up their thread on there!

2 Likes

I have gotten pre flowering while in veg 18/6, since thye pre flowered I tossed them in the flower tent.

1 Like

Yes, multiple times people get light leaks in their grow and where the light shines on the plant can cause part of the plant to stay in veg while the rest of the plant is going through flower.

Jorge Cerventes had a plant that was being shined on by a street light, and half of the plant was flowering while the other half of the plant was in veg.

You can check the forums too where people claim half their plant has remained in veg due to light leaks.

2 Likes

What about grafting an auto onto a large photo root stock? Will it still auto flower?

1 Like

Jup, definitely possible. I didn’t realize how important it was to have them in total darkness for 12 hours when they’re flowering so I left my tent open for them to get some extra sunlight, the tops started vegging again sprouting big elongated leaves and thinned out flowers while the bottom branches stayed in bloom.

I wonder what would happen if you’d graft them on something like mint, perennial weed?
Keeps coming back every year? Spreading over the entire garden through the roots, shoots popping up everywhere. Wouldn’t that be something!