Can I use clone powder with my turbo cloner?

Or is gel needed. I saw some information saying gel promotes rot… I was wondering if I could use the powder in the aero cloner. Never done clones like this and just got one from the wife for Christmas. Thanks for all your input everyone! Much appreciated

Stay kind
Paws

5 Likes

I have not done it myself, but I usually see gel used if being treated before going into a cloner. I assume the powder would just wash away too fast and have little to no benefit while the gel would stick around for a little bit at least. But I have only ever used clonex solution in a aero cloner with no powder or gel added to the cuttings.

2 Likes

Good info thank you…

1 Like

Ive been doing a lot of experimenting and I’m finding a lot of my cuttings I dip in gel are rotting and the ones I use with just tap water are not. I’ve been doing DWC style cloning kind of similar to aeroponics.

3 Likes

I’m thinking I’m just going to get some clonex rooting formula and ph my water… I don’t want rot, and I don’t have much faith the powder will stay on said cutting.
Thanks for chiming in @neb and @bassman5420

4 Likes

I think even like a real light dose of something like gh 3 part works pretty well compared to clonex also but that could just be me not wanting to spend more cash lol

3 Likes

I need to figure out if I am going to make myself an aero cloner like the one I made my dad and use clonex, or if I am going to do another route. I will be needing reliable cloning here soon as I take on fem pollen projects and also start my CBD:THC cross projects.

2 Likes

The TurboKlone machine is basically the same concept as my aeroponics bucket. I’ve used the Clonex gel in my cloning bucket for nearly 15 years, and I’ve never had rot issues. In fact, I’ve mentioned my 100% success rate using my bucket, Clonex, GH 3 part Flora series (& a bit of CalMag Plus).

Before I started using Clonex, I tried a couple of powders. I wasn’t satisfied with the results, so I tried the Clonex rooting gel - and never looked back.

4 Likes

I dig your cloner bucket. The one I made my dad was super simple. 6 spots for clones and the pump just had the fountain sprayer on it lol. It worked surprisingly well, but I would have liked to get a finer spray than what it puts out personally.
It was a small pump, so it would not be able to run the sprayer nozzles you are using on yours.

1 Like

Thanks for that reply, great info with experience to back it up!. Thanks @Purple-N-Hairy

1 Like

I’ve had great success with absolutely nothing. Just place stem right above or just below water level. 90+ success rates too. I usually use the gel or powder when cloning with rock wool cubes or soil. I do cut the bottom stem at 45 and gently score the bottom of the stem. :green_heart:

Either one will work however in that cloner.

3 Likes

Since the discussion is clones, I have a question. When is it the best time to take clones?

Man…have used Aerocloners a lot over the years…I’ve used tap water alone, GH equal parts, water/super thrive, water/clone gel, water/clone powder…the list goes on and on…added myco, kelp, Humic/Fulvic/Amino Acids…

I’d have to say all methods have performed very well…what I found most important is making sure the cloner/s are properly sterilized as bacteria is the main cause of aerocloner failure along warm water temps…Cooler temps under 70 degrees are best…warm water can absolutely destroy the clones if bacteria is present!

Completely disassemble pump, and clean everything with either bleach or H2o2…don’t use both as they chemically counter act either other…it’s odd!

I prefer making my own DIY cloner or Clone King makes a pretty badass ready to go cloner with a ton of sprayers(This is why they work so well imo)

So yeah, sterilize TF out of the cloner…especially the neoprene collars! Or just by new inserts as ultra cheap these days…and cool water is best for fast clones(5-7 days)and consistency!!

Hope this helps

Happy aerocloning OG

Brian(Alaskagrown)

7 Likes

Thanks bud. Nice info

1 Like

Look in to the #griffintech way of cloning.

1 Like