Canagen's LOS grow

Punch Pie is dead. Bitch hermied on me and I’m just hoping I caught it in time. So I am left with this, ending her week 6:

Don’t think they will get that much bigger under this light but the buds seem dense and really sticky. Smell is more prevalent when they are rustled.

Best freehand shot I could do:

I am hoping I don’t see any further issues. I’d just be satisfied to see its completion. And I definitely need a higher powered light in there. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have been eyeing the HLG 300 but as usual funds are low. Oh well…cheers.

4 Likes

Buds I pollinated with some Afghani. The main reason I want to complete this grow to fruition.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find a seed here and there as I didn’t take any precautions in bagging the stems. We’ll see, it looks promising.

4 Likes

Did it totally go hermie or were there just a few male flowers here and there? 'Cause sometimes I can get like 1 or two male flowers on 4 plants in bloom, but usually never any seeds.

I found nanners in the crooks between stems. Once I started trimming it I found them hiding under the buds. You would have never known you had them until it’s too late. In my case, I noticed one stem had sprouted them though it had nothing at that node junction. Once I saw that, I chopped. Now I have to keep checking the undersides more thoroughly on this plant. It sucks but what can you do? Cheers.

1 Like

So, a quick question for the experts and more experienced:

Other than the obvious under powered lighting, what else could I have improved on in your honest opinion? I think that my media is working well and with some topdressing, can only get better. I know my environment needs further tuning to suit the outside ambient temps.

What say you?

1 Like

Some might suggest more LST but I rather like your approach.
I’ve been working to improve VPD this grow, that has helped. I’ve also been playing with Dynomyco this grow and like the effects on young ones.

Your GDP is a beast, I’d be ticked pink to grow her out as well as you did.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Week 7 and starting to yellow steadily. I hope it’s just a sign of maturity rather than issues.

Seeded:

I’ve seen the odd seed here and there on the other buds. Fun stuff! I’ve heard of others crossing Afghani with GDP yet haven’t found a completed grow anywhere. Anyone??? It’s nothing special so I would think someone else has done this. Anyway…cheers.

6 Likes

@CADMAN did a Kosher Daddy - across of GDP and Jew Gold '74. JG was renamed Kosher Kush in the 00’s(ish).

There’s some great photos of his work in here

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Trich hunting time! Starting week 8 and I don’t know if she is foxtailing or just swelling.

It’s funny how the yellowing starts at the top portion of the canopy but only of the older leaves. Makes me think that I may need to increase my N inputs to my mix. As well, I had been giving a K supplement (FFE) this past week so I don’t know if that caused the swelling. I will see. This hobby is fun.

Cheers and happy Sunday.

5 Likes

Wet trimmed and drying in the fridge:

Will be doing final trim in a week or so. As for my cross breeding project, these are all I’ve found so far:

I should have tagged the branch. Should make an interesting cross. Thanks for that link to @CADMAN pics, @Gpaw. Those are mighty fine looking buds. I am hoping this cross will help fill out the GDP’s bud output and follow the Afghani’s bud density. And I think for that I would also have to increase lighting. Last thing in the equation I guess as I’ve got media and environment under control.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Finally found the main bud I dusted and the seeds that came out are decidedly different.

The bigger seeds look to be the same size as the Afghani parent’s while the smaller ones are sized more towards the GDP. Is that normal? Does that mean the bigger seeds have a better chance of retaining the Afghani’s traits? And likewise with the smaller seeds? Does anyone know?

2 Likes

Ill be interested in the answer to that

Almost a 3:1 ratio…
Sounds like a “AA, Aa, aA, aa” scenario, so that would make the big seeds the double recessive? :thinking:

Cheers
G

Well, I did it and upgraded my lights:

Trying to end this GDP run. It just makes me veg and sleepy which is the opposite of what I am after. Hopefully, the Afghani I have in the closet are females. They have really perked up since I placed them under the TS1000s. Never realized how underlit they were using that 10w flood lamp.

Can’t wait to get those GDPxAfg beans in the rotation. If anything, I have more seeds to play around with. Cheers.

3 Likes

Some bud shots:

Starting week 4. This plant seems to have frosted earlier than under the 2 TS1000s. Main cola is ~12" with the center and sides at ~17". Impressed so far.

The clone in the back does not have the same frostiness, more like a sprinkling. I wonder if this is due to the pheno or if there is underlying issue with my soil. This is the second run for this pot. Any thoughts?

5 Likes

Sometimes the pheno expresses differently.
Were the clones taken off similar locations of the mother?
Same soil in similar pots?

Cheers
G

The clone (on the right) was taken from my first plant and the one on the left is from seed. It was flipped earlier than I normally would. I was thinking my environment helped as well. I’ve managed to keep temps around the 80s mark with RH @ 50% lights on and lights off temps go down to the low 60s and RH of 50%. It went down to 60 one night so don’t know how much that would affect it but so far it’s just chugging along. One thing I noticed with this light is it runs cool in the tent with both drivers out on top. But with the 1000s, the reflector gets uncomfortably warm. Really odd!

1 Like

Or am I thinking of genotype. I get so confused.

1 Like

There’s a whole lexicon of new names & definitions creeping in from academia. :wink:

learning

Anything that makes us better growers is good! :+1:

The way I think of it is the genotype is the hardwired DNA code & phenotype is how that code expresses based on influences of the growing environment.

Your TS 1000 is also using the reflector as a heatsink for the quantum board and the driver. Driver losses are about 5% and the board is probably about 50% so maybe 75 watts of heat to dissipate.

Cheers
G

I didn’t know that about the lights. Thanks. I’m trying to stay away from the geek side of things.