Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

4 Likes
4 Likes

Legal sales begin in Vermont tomorrow, which has been all over the local news. Only three dispensaries are actually going to open tomorrow, and it sounds like there’s a limited supply of some things (or even a limited supply of everything).

6 Likes

America is “blowing it.” Marijuana is now a $72 billion-a-year in revenue industry, but only about $25 billion of that is legal. In practice, states have regulated most legal cannabis businesses into oblivion. Sales taxes are as high as 37 percent. “And although marijuana remains illegal under federal law, Uncle Sam still holds out his hand”; unable to deduct most of their expenses, legal pot companies end up paying a tax rate of 60 percent or more.

From here:

8 Likes

Mickey Mouse is anything but petty. He is a big time huckster. Made my wife wear Mickey Mouse ears so I could screw him like he screwed me. (She had me wear the goofy hat)

5 Likes

So she screwed you goofy?

4 Likes

One way of putting it

3 Likes
5 Likes

The whoring is fine though.

5 Likes

Thats how it was when Canada legalized, very few stores able to sell, and they all sold out very quickly, so everyone went back to their usual source for it, and probably found it better than the govs weed trial lol.

5 Likes

In Florida some of those places looked like shacks. I do not think they were expecting for that to ever happen . You live around the area that’s got a bunch of canals it’s going to flood. I feel sorry for the people. South Carolina got hit hard. They don’t ever talk much about that . Hugo was terrible . Katrina was awful . Seen a show last night where Katrina wiped out six flags in Louisiana .
My mom said the pier house in MB was floating in the ocean .

3 Likes

No way will it happen…the money Holland makes from tax on weed is incredible.

Here’s a post from Dutch passion…it’s from 2008 so I would think it be much more now…

As for folks sleeping in there cars…That’s because of the price of hotels…( a bed in a hostel runs around 50 euros )due to demand …

• it’s not the same as way back in the day when there were much fewer coffee shops…nowadays the red light district is just four deep with tourists snapping the girls in the windows…better going to Leiden or Maastricht, even Rotterdam has a better vibe.

https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/the-dutch-state-earns-400-millionannually-from-coffeeshop-taxes-n122

3 Likes

They want give that money up.

4 Likes

Massachusetts was the same. They had purchasing limits for the longest time.

I have to say, Vermont is trying to do this the right way, i.e. favoring small cultivators, favoring outdoor cultivation, and keeping MSO’s out for as long as possible. How that will work out remains to be seen. At least the weather was conducive this summer, more than I can say for last summer.

6 Likes

Thats good to hear they are actually thinking about this in the right way.

5 Likes

Wow, just wow!

ETA
I noticed that two articles with Singapore datelines popped up this AM… hmmm?

3 Likes

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/02/courts-could-throw-state-marijuana-markets-into-disarray-00058029

3 Likes

https://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/Commentary-Not-your-father-s-pot-is-an-old-17476685.php

2 Likes

I read that today.

1 Like

Wasn’t another article on this same topic posted before? I believe I said this back then, and I’ll say it again now… the argument being made is overblown, the interstate commerce clause is not a backdoor for the courts to overturn federal laws that make cannabis possession and trafficking illegal (particularly across state lines, even mere transportation, not trafficking). The issue at hand is a wholly separate one… residency requirements created by states that discriminate against residents of other states.

2 Likes