Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

2 Likes
6 Likes

im gonna patent my genes so when the govt or private industry wants to clone me i can get a cut of the loot$$$ just hope i dont have to pay the balance :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

The feds already own the patents on cannabises.

1 Like

The Feds only own(ed) one patent.

Big Picture on Patent No. 6,630,507

If the government patented and profits from potential health benefits of certain cannabinoids, then cannabis does not fit the Schedule I Narcotic definition of having “no current accepted medicinal value.”

If cannabis were no longer a Schedule I substance, private individuals and public companies could work with the plant to create medications, depriving the NIH of income from Patent No. 6,630,507. By maintaing cannabis as a Schedule I narcotic and limiting the companies that can access medicinal cannabinoids, the NIH ensures it doesn’t have any competition.

The patent passed its last date for renewal in 2019. As such, the government still holds the patent but other entities are now legally able to use the patented cannabinoids. However, any products made require approval from the FDA, which still considers cannabis an illicit substance.
https://cannatechtoday.com/patent-on-cannabis-makes-billions-for-pharma/

https://norrismclaughlin.com/blogs/mtym/category/patents-and-cannabis

4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Blame the federal government for that. Their inability to standardize it across the nation is why cannabis laws are a patchwork of contradictions and absurdities.

2 Likes

In NJ there is either licensed cannabis dealer or black market Marijuana dealers !
There are no small legal cannabis sales in the state! the only way you get to do business is to have big money, New Jersey is only about the money !!! I doubt highly they’ll ever be little people in this industry in the state of New Jersey! and I also highly doubt in my lifetime there will be homegrown but we could be hopeful

Show them the $$$ and the doors will open says the politicians

5 Likes

We’ve been saying it all along that Murphy’s in bed with the corporations… now the news is finally running with the story. Behind a paywall, ironically enough, but just the headline is pretty damaging for him hopefully. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

NJ really is a special kind of place, just so brazen in their contempt for the taxpayers.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I find it rather poetic that here in NJ, we have to pay for even the news that we’re being screwed over by corrupt politicians only out for money. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Seems to me that this is actually a promotional piece intended to generate money for these cannabis rehab-detox hucksters.

Just a tad hyperbolic.

IMO, simply seeking to prey upon the gullible among us.

5 Likes

One major advantage of utility patents over plant patents is that they can prohibit cross breeding and sexual reproduction. This means that a utility patent owner can, if they wish, prevent a customer from replanting seeds harvested from a licensed plant.

3 Likes

Maybe an enterprising young man or woman would like to open a patent under a free license of the entire cannabis genome and release it to the wild with a note to big corp saying, “nanananananananananananana”?

3 Likes

This is a big problem for farmers growing near fields of GMO crops. Pollen drifting from the GMO crops will pollinate the non-GMO crops. Seeds inadvertently broadcasted where they are not desired might leave an adjacent farmer liable for licensing the use of the GMO crop.

Web search for Monsanto sues farmers over reusing seeds from GMO crops. As well established as this is in commercial at, it will definitely come to the cannabis scene too.

3 Likes
6 Likes

could also be the fact that they aren’t the only game in town anymore for recreational i knew a lot of people back when they were the only ones that would Goto Colorado stock up and spread out and voila sales but now that there are many recreational legal states people done have to travel for weed

8 Likes
5 Likes