Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

not mixed or diluted with any different or extra elements; complete and absolute.

…grown by me.

I didn’t believe in it either, until I saw it with my own eyes. Pesticides are definitely not the cause. Someone affected by cannabis hyperemesis will feel the symptoms from your weed, my weed, or any others. I know someone who has it.

12 Likes

I’m still skeptical but good to know!

7 Likes

I hear ya. I wouldn’t have believed it either, if I hadn’t seen it for myself. :+1:

3 Likes

Hypersensitivity to THC or other cannabinoid? Perhaps developed from an earlier encounter?

Examples of hypersensitivity have occurred with repeated/prolonged contact with some types of chemicals (such as isocyanates) which have caused broad/cross hypersensitivities.

This (CHS) would be a good topic to discuss as a thread. I’d like to understand this more, just haven’t had the time to research current literature.

5 Likes

I have a doctor friend who has treated people with this, recently an 18-year old girl had it, it’s definitely real and seems to be getting worse.

there isn’t much literature on it - just describing it and how to diagnose it…nothing on what causes it

6 Likes

Strange similarity, a 19-year old girl in my case.

1 Like

This is getting veeeerrrrrry interesting, so it’s got a dedicated thread now.

2 Likes

Some background information, as I get up to speed, with additional links from there:

2 Likes

This has always been around. Just not diagnosed correctly or not talked about. The #'s get bigger because there are more smokers and more incredibly powerful cannabis. I remember a lot of my sacks from 20 yrs ago. I might have gotten 2 good ones then some crap the next 9 times… Now you can start with and never smoke anything but crazy strong topshelf… I can’t even find just ok commercial anymore… I’d love some because then I could smoke a blunt and not cry about how expensive it was later. I have friends that developed hyperemesis back in the 90’s. But they came to those conclusions on their own because you didn’t talk about your illicit habits with your doctor…

9 Likes

That’s what I’m noticing so far. Lot’s of “occurs by an unknown mechanism”.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see someone else blaming Azamax. Its giving neem a bad name.

4 Likes

Could you expand on your thoughts on this. Azadirachtin itself or with the possible adulterants?

2 Likes

Azamax is a concentration of azadiractin, one of the active ingredients in the neem seed. Because of this, some are claiming that neem is responsible for CHS. I believe it is from these concentrated products, not cold pressed oil. Testing will not differentiate between the two.

3 Likes

Organic grows won’t spare you from a pathogen ending up in your flower.

2 Likes

Also, and FYI… systemic pesticides can travel with clones, and end up in seeds as well… So even if you never used pesticides, if the plant the seed came from, or the mother plant the clone is from had a systemic pesticide, there is a very real chance that it could end up in yours.

"

Unlike other pesticides which remain on the surface of treated foliage, systemic pesticides are taken up by the plant and transported to all the tissues (leaves, flowers, roots and stems, as well as pollen and nectar).

The most common are Neonicotinoids and Fipronil (neonics), which are a class of neuro-active, nicotine-based systemic insecticide. These were developed in 1991 and brought into commercial use in the mid-1990s.

Products containing neonics can be applied at the root (as seed coating or soil drench) or sprayed onto crop foliage. The insecticide toxin remains active in the soil or plant for many months (or years), protecting the crop season-long.

Neonics act on the information processing abilities of invertebrates, affecting specific neural pathways that are different from vertebrates. This makes them popular as broad-spectrum insecticides, as they are considered less directly toxic to vertebrate species including humans.

These systemic insecticides have become the most widely used group of insecticides globally, with a market share now estimated at around 40% of the world market. Common compounds include acetamiprid, clothianidin, dinotefuran imidacloprid, nitenpyram, nithiazine, thiacloprid, thiamethoxam and fipronil, with global sales of over US $2.63 billion in 2011.

The market for seed treatments is expanding even more rapidly, growing from €155 million in the 1990s to €957 million in 2008, at which point neonics made up 80% of all seed treatment sales worldwide.

Neonicotinoids are still toxic even at very low doses. They have a high persistence in soil and water, remaining in situ for months on average, and this results in sustained and chronic exposure of non-target organisms, such as invertebrates. Because they are relatively water-soluble, they run off into aquatic habitats easily. Growing concern about their connection to bee colony collapse disorder has led to restrictions on their use in EU Countries. Concern about their impact on other non-target species including birds, has been growing for the last five years.
"

3 Likes

In terms of what causes it. THC traditionally has anti-mimetic properties. But CBD and CBG have the opposite effect in some people. The exact mechanism remains unknown… Even weirder that hot showers help alleviate the nausea which points to body temperature regulation in the hypothalamus but they aren’t sure… Yet more reasons we should have never stopped exploring cannabis as medicine in the first place. We know more about the moon than the 400 chemicals in cannabis.

7 Likes

another odd thing is symptoms usually take years to develop after years of daily chronic use… it sounds to me like some sort of toxin is being built up.

2 Likes

Well your body changes how it responds to anything over time.

Allergies that you had as a kid and don’t anymore or vice versa. That same bowl not getting you high anymore. Changing from hating how cigarettes taste and what they do to you to not being able to live without them.

So it doesn’t necessarily have to be a small toxin that isn’t dangerous at small doseage.

I believe it to be a thing and a good explanation is with the rise in marijuana becoming legal is bringing about more smokers. So if a baseline percentage is susceptible over a sample and that sample increases then obviously there is more reports. Cannabis today I hear is also a lot stronger. Hell, even the last 14 years that I have first hand experience with cannabis increasing in potency. That may be a factor as well.

6 Likes

The only time I knew anyone to vomit on Cannabis was when he smoked a blunt that had been left out on the ground in the rain for a few days… He was an avid smoker otherwise without issue.

One of my old school friends used to vomit everytime he smoked too much.
he would whitey, vomit a lot then be ok, just assumed it was the body doing its thing

3 Likes