Best Anxiety Strains?

What are the best strains for anxiety? So far Blue Dream has been the best for me. Any other recommendations?

13 Likes

Sativa Dominant Hybrid - cherry bomb

3 Likes

I’ve been using a bunch of different ones. I found the trick was to identify strains that would take my mind off the future/past and keep me “in the moment”, which are usually sativa dominant hybrids, especially hazes. I’ve also had more success with keeping the dose lower, it seems to get you to that “everything is good” spot much more reliably.

Kali Mist
Super silver haze
Super lemon haze
Chernobyl
Ghost Train Haze
Blueberry Blast (this is my current favorite)

17 Likes

They even have blue haze! Blue dream x SSH

7 Likes

It is 15% thc cherry bomb

Right now I’m smoking some dsd it’s 30%

4 Likes

Leafly says I should avoid Ghost Train Haze if I have anxiety though

3 Likes

I found the ghost train a little racey. Everybody has different reactions but it definitely got my heart beating too fast.
I’d suggest the ghost train tangie for a smoother ride.
I’ll be sampling moonshine ghost train tomorrow. I’ll let ya know what I think.

5 Likes

Do you want to know the best strain to give you anxiety? :grin:

For panic attacks, I have a “rescue” tincture I made. It is a 1:1 THCA:CBDA (note the acidic form of these compounds). It has on multiple occasions stopped panic attacks cold. 20 minutes later I’m clear headed and have a general sense of wellness.

21 Likes

I want that recipe bro! If you wouldn’t mind indont remember that on your not another tincture thread

1 Like

Regular tincture recipe without the decarb. Used juanita for the 1:1.

4 Likes

Haha I must be a mind reader because that’s what my idea was on that! I also thought using any fresh bud, right off the plant without decarbing or just using leaves would work too

IME allowing the bud to cure prior to extraction allows mor chlorophyll to break down and gives a better tincture. Fresh buds and leaves would have far too much water to make for a nice tincture IMO.

2 Likes

So strange that most are saying sativa or sativa dominant. I find the exact opposite. I have to be very careful with sativas, or I end up totally anxious/paranoid/antisocial. The opposite of happy and relaxed.

The exception is if I have a nice strong CBD strain first. Then nothing can touch me.

11 Likes

This is the problem with cannabis reviews. Your source says anti-anxiety, but if you go to Leafly

And scroll to the Cherry Bomb Effects and Attributes section, then click “Negatives” - look how many people experienced anxiety on this strain.

The only way to know is smoke it, and then it may be too late.

5 Likes

I would choose a high CBD strain.

5 Likes

Meesh,

I don’t have general anxiety, but I do get extremely/uncomfortably anxious if/when I smoke too much weed. When I say too much, I mean 3 tokes of potent weed can fuck me right up.

I can usually control this one of three ways:

1. Very low doses at first - once I am a bit high I can tolerate a bit more, etc.

2. Very weak weed - I like to be able to smoke half a joint and enjoy it, so I actually like weed with low THC better

3. High CBD strains - CBD just chills me right the fuck out. It makes me the person I like to be. I’m not saying I only like to smoke CBD with zero THC, but 1:1 ratios or even 2:1 CBD:THC works great.

I just grew a strain from Crop King called CBDream. It is a cross of Blue Dream and Original Kush, produces a 1:1 CBD:THC ratio at about 6% each. I can smoke half a joint with zero worries of an anxiety attack and it gets me to where I want to be. If I want to be higher, I can smoke more. I like this arrangement better than getting way too fucking high right away.

The White Widow that I grew, by comparison, gets me giggling like a school girl after one toke, and a bit uncomfortable after 2 tokes, but it doesn’t last too long and then I just feel happy… If I ever smoked 1/2 a joint I am pretty sure I would just go to my bed and hide.

Perhaps none of this applies to you, as your anxiety and tolerance may be completely different than mine.

13 Likes

@Sebring Very interesting. Sativas are generally not great for my anxiety (opposite), but I have to admit that I have never tried a haze.

Going to roll the dice and pick up some haze on my way home, and start with a tiny dose to see how I feel. Will report back.

EDIT: My dispensary has Super Silver Haze and the Leafly anxiety meter is very low for this one, so time to give it a try!

7 Likes

I thought the exact same thing about sativas too and smoking a pure sativa will make me crawl up the walls. So, I switched to Indicas which in turn ended up leaving me paranoid and anxious as well. Awhile back I saw an article in High Times (online) talking about the best strain for anxiety was a sativa dominant hybrid. I couldn’t tell you what the exact strain was as I dismissed this theory as soon as I saw sativa thinking that it was crazy. Here I was, trying ever darn Indica hybrid my dispensary had and was still finding no real relief. Most either intensified my anxiety or made me hyper aware of it. Uncomfortable to say the least. Finally one day, I mentioned the sativa theory that I read about to the dispensary guy and he immediately said that Yes, the sativa dom hybrids were the way to go and pointed me to the Blue Dream and said it was a very popular seller for anxiety. Amazingly enough, it is beautiful! I was really surprised as it just seems counter-intuitive.

Now, I’m growing my own Blue Dream, but who wants to smoke the same strain every day? So now I’m looking for more. I may try a higher CBD strain and see how that works out too and of course keep experimenting with the sativa hybrids. The problem with the dispensaries is that they don’t allow you to take your phone inside, so I can’t exactly look up the positives/negatives on the internet really quick when I’m in there looking at strains. So, I’m making a list of things to look for. Eventually my goal is to completely grow all my own meds. I am working towards that now, but it’s still a learning curve.

7 Likes

My experience with Anxiety was the heart palpitations were the worst part that and the panic attack type chest pain.
The best thing I found is Lemon Balm (Mellisa Officianalis)
Works within around 10 minutes with the first caplet, stops anxiety and stops a panic attack in its tracks, amazing stuff.
I took 1000mg extract every day for about three months and no longer get anxiety very often anymore, seems to have “topped up” some chemical I was short on. I keep a bottle of 500mg extract caplets for emergencies but haven’t needed one in a while.
Growing some lemon balm in my window and it smells amazing, I just put some in some ice tea as I was thinking about this as its been growing so well and I haven’t used it.

FYI it also levels out a racy high like CBD but seems to be more efficacious IMO

10 Likes

@cogitech I did the same thing most people do when they start and I tried everything. As others have said, most indicas and pure sativas either made the anxiety worse or were too racy. The key to remember with anxiety is that it’s usually caused by mentally focusing on something too intently, and all it’s possible negative outcomes. I believe that the reason sativa leaning hybrids help is because they prevent you from being able to hyper focus a single thing for too long, and they tend to be mood elevators, which prevents all of those negative fears from putting you in a flat spin.

@gordongecko I just planted some Lemon Balm (Mellisa Officianalis) seeds because I use to love using it as a spice in cooking food. I’m so glad you mentioned it’s use for anti-anxiety. I’m going to harvest some and try using it as a “now isn’t a good time to use cannabis” backup medication!

General Disclaimer: Please don’t confuse paranoia with anxiety, they are very different things with some mutual physical symptoms, but with very different causes and cures.
Paranoia - a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system.
Anxiety Disorders - the anticipation of a future threat, but triggers can differ in the types of situations or objects that induce fear or avoidance behavior.

Many strains can cause chemically induced physical symptoms of paranoia. Most people’s minds interpret the induced vasoconstriction and resulting increased heart rate as fear, while most old heads recognize it as being “racy,” which is the appropriate interpretation. When I first started using cannabis as medicine I wasn’t aware of these distinctions and physical effects, so I was under the impression that some strains were causing paranoia. Because of my ignorance I feel like my search for the right strains was delayed.

If I’m feeling paranoid or having an anxiety attack I’ve found that including a small amount of CBD in my treatment helps improve my results, but doesn’t work as a single substance cure. #EntourageEffect

17 Likes