Cannabis microscopy

lookit the fucking green veins on that thing! HULK!

2 Likes

fuuuuck is it any wonder the big bud is a better hash producer? Look at the trichomes!

1 Like

king tut, I think it was the final bud I hadn’t done an EDF on. Pretty soon I’ll image an entire bud at all levels of focus in the same image. A huge image. I think image stitching is my next test!

3 Likes

This is my science…

…end result… wasted.

…end result… wasted :slight_smile:

…end result… wasted :joy:

Its a wrap, ice it!

PS: That last one looks very interesting

1 Like

The king tut has some random pink flowers on it, so I really wanted to see why. Turns out the color is mostly concentrated on the veins in the bud itself. I know it just seems like I’m doing random shit, but the end result is I want to figure out an excellent way to determine the hash yield of a plant. The old sampling method was take a photo with my camera and count the visible heads. With these new optics, I think I can count the number of trichomes on a bud or definitely a section of bud leaf, to determine the hash yield. That way I can know if a plant is worth growing just by getting a piece of bud and analyzing it, without ever growing it. Save a guy some time. So far it does seem likely the density of trichomes determines hash yield and quality. More observations = more likely. You can never be 100% certain until you have observed every cannabis plant on the earth. I’m making progress…

2 Likes

Testing positive for seed pods! Ever cut open a bud and see one of these inside?

or even one of these?

ahhh or this!

5 Likes

Yeah for sure, i am only joking above, its just me, I can never stop joking. It gets in the way of good conversations sometimes.
Something I read which i may have already discussed in a thread here recently. This mostly applies for people like me who dry, cure then press. Some of the terpenes in cannabis are solvents to resin and some are solvents to waxes. Often a plant that has high yielding THC but presses like shit is often because the plant has a lot of waxes from the trichome stalks in the product. The waxes mix with the resin and stiffen it which stops the resin from flowing when pressed. If you want to get any result then you have to crank the heat right up to get the waxes to fully melt and flow which in turn is not good for the final product. As an example, some strains have the terpene Alpha Pinene. This terpene is a solvent. I press Jack Herer which is so piney and full of the pinene terpene and i barely have to point any heat towards it and it just starts oosing resin before I have hardly even put any pressure on it. So in theory over time as we firgure out which terpenes do what, we may be able to partially determine pre emptively what strains will press well before purchasing by looking at the terpene profile. Other things also affect it of course like calyx structures etc but this is one piece of the puzzle being figured out slowly.

1 Like

Hey @JoeCrowe i am struggling to find the thread where you mentioned you wash your dried left overs in ISO after a bubble run. I just have a question for you about that. Do you just do a quick ISO wash at room temp to dissolve the resins or do you do the frozen ISO to freeze the trichome heads off? I think they call it QWISO or something like that.

1 Like

I just got a 20 dollar microscope online. It’s hard to get a clear pic! Man, any tips?

1 Like

I figured it out. Lol. Turn the dial real real Real slow and watch while I do it!

2 Likes

yah I think I mentioned it in hash making thread, but I’ve never really talked about it. It’s just QWISO yah that’s the process I have been using. I do it at room temperature, but just for 60 seconds. If you go for too long the chlorophyll dissolves and that’s a no-no. Extra processing to get that shit out.
I usually just toss the leftovers in the compost nowadays. Just a waste of time now for something that’s barely worth it lol! I save the QWISO-ing for discarded buds now and make a super tasty batch not one like hay. The leftovers taste like hay or iced tea I don’t think there are many terps left. I should put some under the microscope! Great Idea™!

2 Likes

also if you have your sample on a stable surface that helps. And the microscope is stable.

2 Likes

holy shit. I should have put that under the scope years ago hah hah. I’m going to do a lot more scanning of this sample, it’s way crazy!

I couldn’t actually find a trichome yet with a cap.

2 Likes

wow here’s a single bud so I checked for trichs.

I think there are none left, it’s a wasteland.

4 Likes

Good extracting Mr Joe. So is that after the bubble run or the QWISO run?

1 Like

That’s after the bubble run! crazy! I should get some alcohol and see exactly what it’s dissolving eh? I mean…there’s not even a trichome stalk left on the surface of that thing. I’m actually really enthused to see how many of those suckers I am harvesting.

Anyways, I got a treat! Some Legal Producer bud to check out. I can’t wait to see the trichome density and color profile on the surface. There’s some dark purple. ok gimme a sec… found a seed kernel as well, they must all have them.
Ohhh shit. I don’t see any trichome heads.

sure is purdy though.WAIT! I spotted a single trichome head!

3 Likes

Hahahaha, yeah the medicinal weed i get is imported from Canada. It comes in little hard rocks and there is no way there is a trichome still in one piece on them. They are so poorly battered by the time i get them. They are also often not completely sealed in the container when shipped. They would be completely screwed if they didn’t put boveda packs in with them.

3 Likes

Hey…this one has a couple of trichomes!!

I took this photo for the purple trichome stalk!

8 Likes

now check this out.

Does that bud look kind of odd to you?

4 Likes

Does this image look like a normal bud leaf to you?

3 Likes