Cannabis microscopy

Perfect sense. See the GOG prime was an excellent hash yield, but the big bud will put it underground with the flavor. My villain arc is this: I am looking to breed the ultimate hash plant using hybridization.
So far I have my prize winning big bud extracts. So I know what goes into it:

1. hits hard like rosin
  2. chock full of flavor
  3. full melt
    …4) Excellent yield!!!

So for example, the terps on the GOG plant are not up to par. Yet the yield and melt are. So, I would hit the hybridization spray to cross say the OGK with the GOG to try and infiltrate the terpenes into the GOG yields. You just keep selecting for yield and terps, then cross them to get your desired plant as a BX1? I don’t know the lingo that well yet.

3 Likes

Well… I even got that image at a slant to cover more trichomes and the count was 29. Take that! This is GMO2, the sister of the mega mutant that produced shit yields. You’ll notice my 250000 micron surface is off-kilter and not square. Well… gotta do what you gotta do. 250000 is 250000, as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

More dumb shit, you can see the ultra violet light reflected in a point on the cap. If I had better UV lighting, they would glow better as well.

6 Likes

It probably wouldn’t be too hard to write a bit of code to count those trichomes using OpenCV’s Blob detector. You could probably even filter out different sized trichome caps. The UV photos might give even better results. :thinking:

9 Likes

I have auto counting, I just didn’t use it. There’s a whole section on using the counting software, but I always do the manual count. When the lab is back up and running, I’ll give it another whirl! It would be nice to have a UV light ring, get the caps lit better in the darkness.

7 Likes

well… I got an auxiliary calyx. Not much to it, yet though! Really hard to find a 250000 micrometer surface. So far, I’m actually not liking the looks. The count per surface area is up there, but the surface area is tiny. My eye says the trichome count is low compared to a veg plant that was 3%. We’ll see how it evolves! Excitement!

5 Likes

That’s at 56 days from a tail forming on the seed in a paper towel.

3 Likes

well I counted 37, but I had to go back and identify trichome caps underneath the overlaying ones. Kind of strange! This is OGK from the mother plant that produced a seed. The specific location of those large capped trichomes are the veins of the calyx.

4 Likes

I’ll be refining my counting, I suppose. I’ll be trying to really get down to real numbers! I was thinking I could use the shiny cap shine as the thing to focus on with the auto counting. When it’s dark out, I’ll try and remember to shine the ultra violet light around on the sample. The shine from the UV is better for counting it seems, because it seems the light doesn’t join together in the image. It’s better for segmentation count, uhh I think I remember.

5 Likes

Found a bigger calyx! I want to see if they kind of look the same, even 20 days apart. I should also go back and harvest and older calyx, to see if there is a difference at this point.

5 Likes

Ah! Now we know you what you are up to you rascal, “Ultimate Hash!” Destroyer of Worlds. And I mean that in all sincerity. If anyone I know can pull it off, it’s you maestro.

So we know what you’re looking for:

And you have, or are nearing control of three out of four parameters. Excellent Yield, is assured with your current harvests. Likewise, full melt results naturally from your next level processing routines. As does that “Hard Hit” sucker punch that good hash delivers.

You’ve got all that dialed amigo, and you’re on in the dating game for genetics that comprise “Chock Full of Flavor” and perhaps your own preferences for a Nice High.

Which is a long way of asking what preferences are you shooting for in Flavor and the drug effect of your Ultimate Hash? The ineffable factors?

I know you’ll take this query in the way it is intended, :call_me_hand:

-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:
PS, that Glandular trichome article was a good read. Still processing.

4 Likes

Hot Diggity!

The human eye can tell the difference easily. It’s best when you compare the calyx in veg or early bloom. That way the trichomes aren’t all willy nilly. Easier to compare when they are side by side on the monitors!
Future prediction is the second GMO plant I haven’t bloomed, is going to have a crappy hash productivity. I haven’t compared it to it’s sister…yet. I’m almost afraid to! So, if this future prediction works, I’m definitely headed in the right direction. It’s when your future predictions fail, it casts doubt on the whole idea. I can’t wait to grow the shitty auto flower plants and view them now. All I need is a single female to study.

6 Likes

That’s a calyx off the big bud. I forgot to even say! I spent hours staring at images of trichomes around day 20somethingish. Establishing the baseline for the trichome density is tricky, but very important. I think I’ve generated baseline for 1%, and 3%. That’s important for some reason.

2 Likes

Why bother? And what if they blow every one of your preconceived notions out the window???

Just kidding.

1 Like

That’s the idea! If I can falsify the theory, then it’s definitely not true. If not, then it’s closer to being true! Once I’ve tried to falsify it in all the ways I can think of, and failed, then it’s true.
“No amount of experimenting can prove me right, but a single experiment can prove I’m wrong”.

5 Likes

You know something? I wanted to learn about viroids, but not just stupid shit you can google. I wanted…REAL information. So… I went to Elsevier. They have books…MAN. Books written by people who studied things and got them published. Books…worth hundreds of dollars. ONE single book is worth 100$ USD! So… Here’s my tip for earning your free PHd. Get the ISBN number of the book from those rip off artists, and plug that into sci hub. BOOM! Now, you’re a genius.

7 Likes

I’m a big fan of library genesis. Almost all the scientific papers, reviews, and books that are paywalled to hell, available to anyone with Internet.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed this as well. Buds not facing the sun have more trichomes than the ones that do, at least on one plant, one time. Perhaps the resin isn’t sunscreen but a magnifying glass

4 Likes

Interestingly enough, the trichome caps fluoresce under ultra violet.

5 Likes

I didn’t know about that trick!

LOL, I used to use Pirate Bay for those Elsevier books, back when such activities were semi safe.

Cheers
G

6 Likes