Cash cropping questions

Monoculture or multiple strains. Pretty straightforward question. What’s better for a small scale commercial producer starting out. I’m either gonna be running 1 or 3 strains. as a grower of medium skill which is the better move?

12 Likes

I’d say 1. They will all react the same. There’s a reason huge farms monocrop

11 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. At least until I get a few more grows under my belt and can read my plants better. Might just use the room for production and use one of my tents for personal.

6 Likes

A big part of me just wants to do another gorrilla glue run. They produce quality and quantity. Produced over a lb off 2 plants with no training or topping, just a lengthy veg. Figure 30 with a 3-4 week veg and a topping should do really well.

3 Likes

But then I saw this while browsing seedbanks https://northatlanticseed.com/product/apple-blossom/?attribute_pa_pack-size=10-pack and that short flowering time + high thc got me thinking. I doubt it’s really 45 but if it’s under 55 that’s a big time saver not to mention everyone likes fruity weed.

5 Likes

@rooted I’m for sure gonna run that breath of the beast soon enough. I just need to do a big crop with something that turns around quick first so I can recoup all my renovation costs.

1 Like

Yeah id run clones not seeds. Seeds will vary seed to seed. Find good mother from seed n run ton of clones. Get you a big aero cloner like 64-128 site n run copies of the exact plant to maximize output

6 Likes

I’m gonna take a cut from each and just keep the one that does best as a mom. So I guess my next run is sort of a pheno hunt.

1 Like

Yep, commercial runs a full room of clones and they never get taller than about 14-18 inches, then whack! They never flower them to the long side. All about bag appeal and speed.

3 Likes

Oh I’m gonna let mine finish lol. More of a “commercial boutique” thing. I’m a disabled vet on a fixed income who loves weed just trying to get by don’t knock the little guys when you got big corporations trying to move in and lobby to keep anyone who’s not already rich out of the market.

7 Likes

If you do one or two unique strains. Grow them to their fullest potential. You’ll always be sold out before you harvest.

7 Likes

Permaculture

Many different strains, many different covercrops, many different flowers, many different vegetables and fruits, and let the other weeds grow too. Everything supports everything. There is no competition in nature, it’s a man made behavior.
The more dense you let everything grow, all mixed together, the better everything grows, that’s what I’ve noticed in my garden.

Let it ALL grow. All you gotta do is chop and drop the covercrops and other weeds at the right time, making room for your primary crops. You’ll save a lot of water too.

3 Likes

I’m indoor and sterile res hydro.

One strain only.

I grow in a tent for myself and when I’m growing two strains that like different things it’s a PITA.

I can’t imagine doing it on a large scale.

Sometimes you get strains that play nice together with the same inputs. But not always.

2 Likes

as a small ‘mom-n-pop’ commercial op…I’d say go with 1.The testing is not that cheap here in Oklahoma. I don’t know where you are, but it’s thos hidden costs that’ll get ya every time. One strain, harvested at the same time in the same growing environment gives you one price/test.

edit… Use female clones for insured crop/harvest/cash… you get one male in there and you’ll ruin the crop, not get anywhere near what you should.

4 Likes

Once the dispensary sees seeds they automatically drop the price or won’t buy at all

1 Like

No testing, insurance or dispensary to deal with in my area. We’re old-school over here :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

that’s not gonna last, you can trust that! It was the same here at first

edit… wait a minute lol you no dispensaries? Then how do you sell it, straight to the people?

3 Likes

Yeah, last I checked there’s a bill in my state senate on legalization.

If it passes THEN they’ll have the dispensaries. There’s no state in the US that has commercial legal growers without the dispensaries and testing. Other than I think DC or one of em its legal meds but no growers

2 Likes