(CBDC) Digital US Dollar šŸ’µ

And on the opening day of US block chain sales = 0

šŸ„·šŸ»

4 Likes

next step Project Tourbillon

1 Like

Bartering, is a recognized form of trade, and of taxable, if you worry about such nonsense.
Iā€™ve been bartering since I was 16, as I did not pay for a car inspection, until I moved away.
As my car was being filled up, Iā€™d swap the gas jockey a zip, for a filled out in the books inspection sticker, and be good for 6 months, back when we had 6 month inspection.
Same with a local farmer, beef, chicken, eggs, for buds. Barter was just another way to exchange goods and services.

5 Likes

Bartering! I learned a new word. :slightly_smiling_face:
The thing is, I live in a fucked up country. After paying for electricity, water, utilitiesā€¦ my salary does not cover ten days of modest living. I have to work hard illegally even after hard regular job.
When they phase out cashā€¦ well, Iā€™ll be forced to take bartering to the next level

3 Likes

This just in: short of the staples everything you buy is worthless consumer garbage that could easily be done without.

End PSA.

3 Likes

Negative interest rates on your savings. Spend it fast guys!

3 Likes

Is that like reverse inflation? Cool!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Reverse inflation is called deflation and it is the natural state of a productive economy with a legitimate form of money. If you look at when we had a gold backed currency prices were extremely stable and if anything would fall year over year. This is how it is suppose to work! As a society becomes more productive this gains are reflected in increased purchasing power.

Weā€™ve been tricked into believing deflation is some terrifying phenomenon and losing 2-3% in buying power every year is good. IT IS NOT. Your productivity gains and increased buying power are being STOLEN from you.

Back in the early 60s we had silver in our money. I believe minimum wage was $1.25 an hour yet young adults could pay their own way through college workingā€¦ they were paid in real money. Those 5 quarters of silver are worth over $20 today. We donā€™t need the government to set a minimum wage, we need real money.

10 Likes

I hear you but donā€™t get me started:

Worthless money on a worthless degree to get a worthless jobā€¦

I have a few grand in silver coins kicking aroundā€¦

4 Likes

Weed is great bartering stock! I use it all the time since I donā€™t own money, lol.

7 Likes

The holy trinity: Weed, gold and beer!

4 Likes

When we had a gold-backed currency prices were stable, but having a gold-backed currency created massive problems with the secondary market for gold, a stable but limited supply, and a quickly expanding population after WW2. Any government that actually honored their gold backing was going slowly bankrupt as people would trade in their $10 of currency for $10 of gold, then sell their gold on the open market for $11 of currency, rinse and repeat. There was no choice but to go off the gold standard. Thatā€™s one of the ideas behind Bitcoin as ā€œdigital goldā€ - it can serve the same purpose, a limited supply and predictable issuance rate, but rather than being heavy and difficult to carry itā€™s as simple as memorizing a key phrase.

The main issue with a gold-based currency is that itā€™s impossible to support a rapidly expanding population that way, though. All the old, rich folk want to hoard their money and stay wealthy, not distribute half their money to the new population that massively outnumbers them and believes they should have the opportunity to rule the world themselves. Itā€™s even worse when the old, rich folk massively outnumber the new population and have left the world a shell of itself with the last 50 years of value-extracting corporations teaching the new population to depend on those corporations for everything, thoughā€¦ and a complicit government printing new money and giving it directly to the corporations because theyā€™re ā€œtoo big to fail.ā€

Dunno. Would be nice if there were a simple answer that didnā€™t make half the world unhappy, but I donā€™t think there is. Unless itā€™s to watch the corporations build robots to take over everything humans still pretend to have some influence over, in which case weā€™re halfway there. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the plus side, we always have Liz Warren ready to bring the hammer down on anything that even hints at offering people a way out of government control and pretending that it has something to do with protecting us! https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/12/18/warrens-reactionary-crypto-policy-vs-dorseys-decentralized-social-media-gambit/

6 Likes

My first clock punching job, I made a $1.90 an hour, the same year, Gold, was removed from currency valuation.
About $44.00 a zip/ounce then, start following it every year after that!!
If you do not see the correlation, between untethered currency and untethered currency look down through the years.

I bought and held gold from $325.00 in 2003 and sold it at $1800.00 2019.
Silver I hold maybe 40-50 pounds ingots/coin/junk/industrial grades. I started to buy at $3.00 ounce, but itā€™s been floundering for a few years now with no good buys, except locals that do not look for silver marks, or do not understand the pre 1964 coins values.
What backs crypto? What holds itā€™s value? 1ā€™s and 0ā€™sā€¦ wish you all the best with that.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with gold, as it goes, or silver. As far as an investment with value, though, youā€™re a fool if you think gold has an intrinsic value anywhere near what its current market value is. Gold is used technologically in very few things other than wiring, as itā€™s too soft, and itā€™s not even ideal for wiring; if it werenā€™t for the jewelry market and the currency speculation market (the market that gold is part of as a legacy, and Bitcoin is part of as an upstart) gold would be worth 10% of its current price. Your investment in gold is worth exactly what my investment in Bitcoin is - peopleā€™s belief in it as a store of value. Gold certainly fluctuates less, because the belief in it fluctuates less - that may mean it has less risk as an investment, but it also has far less potential. Iā€™m comfortable with my 1000% profits on crypto so far. :slight_smile: If it all vanishes as quickly as it came, Iā€™m out less than 1% of my net worth anyway.

That said, I donā€™t think this is the place to play my investment can beat up your investment. The point of this thread seems to be more that a totalitarian government masquerading as a democracy can use any methods it deems necessary to extract value from us. :frowning: Whether thatā€™s banning citizens from owning gold, banning us from owning crypto, or banning us from owning anything at all except their CBDCā€¦ just depends on how power-hungry they are, and how willing we are to accept it.

4 Likes

Uhhhh the hell happened in 84?(I knew at some point Iā€™d have to reveal I wasnā€™t as old as most of yā€™all) lol

2 Likes

4 Likes

Lol history wasnā€™t my subject I was a math guy canā€™t tell you anything past what I experienced in the 90s

2 Likes

@George

Hey Cormoran, no arguments from me, investing is a personal choice, and there are hundredā€™s of ways to do it. Much of what you post about gold, I agree with.
For me, crypto is pure speculation driven, I just prefer physical values, but hell they can go south of level also. I do wish all into crypto the best.

2 Likes