CFL closet - first indoor grow - log / questions

Thanks man yeah- there are white hairs but youā€™re right which is why its throwing me a little bit. Iā€™ll go take a look under a magnifying glass- would really like to soak her in light for another week

Oh damn they are still very sparkly ā€¦ iā€™d say 75% cloudy 25% clear ā€¦ nothing amber

4 Likes

Patience is the mother to all virtueā€¦ Nice buds man!

1 Like

It suure is- i am in no way inpatient hereā€¦ I have plenty of smoke :slight_smile: just had my friend drop off an ounce of GG4 homegrownā€¦ super sticky and amazing (Alaska where itā€™s legal). I will be drying and curting this out for at least 10 days before i even touch anything (more like a month but iā€™ll try a little after 10 days at least).

I still.have the bubblegum (day7) and cheese (day6) hangingā€¦ both are not quite at the point where the branch is snappingā€¦ still bending.

Iā€™m still even nuting her and sheā€™s fattened up quite a bit since that last pictureā€¦ probably one more week of solid flower and a good 2 - 3 day flush and iā€™ll cut her (short flush i know but im still experimenting with things and wouldnā€™t mind seeing the difference between a 3-4 day flush and a 10 day flush ā€¦ by flush i mean watering with pure tapwater).

2 Likes

I would wait for a minimum of three months, then it will be ok

That seems a bit extreme man- you should be able to enjoy a nice smoke after a solid month after harvestā€¦ never heard of people curing for a 1/4-year before touching anything. Why would i want to cure it out that long? Not arguing, asking.

You can be proud to output that with a 50 buck setup, and for a first run.

imho the next steps to acquire in priority :

• somes reads on the flushing process : how to prepare it with the planning of the space and how to drive it to the end.
  • light you hand on nutrients rate : the goal being to never get a plastic/shiny texture on leafs, specially around the buds. The difference in term of quality of smoke, flavors and potency with a ā€œjust enough feededā€ plant is big. And i canā€™t invite you enough to at least grow a single clone this way, near yellow all his life. Just to experience the extreme in a cone.

big up !

2 Likes

I strongly encourage you to test your 3-4 day (or better - none) against the 10 day flush.

Please do it :wink:

Btw I never ever no way starve them at harvest. DonĀ“t overdo nutes and you will be good.

Proper and slow dry is key. Curing is also great.

Of course this is a discussion for another topic:

1 Like

The ideal curing time is about three months. In general, more sativa varieties need a longer period of time, the indica is shorter, but three months will not spoil anything.

1 Like

Thank you for the responses- @sk1 - Iā€™ll keep it to 3-4 days because i dont want it to end up in the crockpot . The first two plants got 10 days of water but im sorta trying t push this last girl hard while shes in all the light to get a little more on the bud :slight_smile: and i do want to see the difference so i know in the future if i may have over-nuted something.

So far the bubblegum is on day 8 of hang drying with ambient moving air (not direct) and is still slightly bending as is the cheese (day 7 hanging).

They are getting close to snapping though and that at that point I will trim them and jar them and begin the curing process. I was thinking more of a month-long cure than 3 full months (never heard of that) but i will do some research before deciding.

Iā€™ll probably do one more run with this CFL setup before i transofrom the closet into full-LED.

@Fuel Thank you. For a first grow i couldnā€™t be happier, trichomes are there and the yeild was higher than expected for CFL-flower. Iā€™m guessing roughly 2 oz of dry per plant but i wont find out for a couple more weeks. Flushing seems to vary by grower. Some people literally flush the roots to the point of literally hosing down the whole pot , others water wit hpure water for X days (is what Iā€™ve picked up so far).

Thank you all for the feedbackā€¦ One of the funnest, most stressful things ive ever done (when i left the lights off for 15 extra minutes i almost had a panic attackā€¦ ordered a timer that day.

3 months? Really?

Iā€™ve had a 2-year cured nug before and it wasnā€™t spoiled at all it was one of the smoothest bowls ive ever smoked (grew that one too, on a window sill).

Iā€™ll have to research long-term curingā€¦ I mean the plants do continue to cure out as long as you leave them jarredā€¦ i dont smoke a TON of weed so i would think waiting a month or so and then starting in on it wouldnā€™t be badā€¦ You really think a full 3 month cure before even tasting it?

After these three months, most varieties are at the top, both in terms of taste and efficiency.You can be sure to taste

Thanks - Iā€™ve never actually read that before, good to know.

That is the mentality I took (advice from my cousin whoā€™s been growing for 20+ years). Light on the nutrientsā€¦ He told me one of the most common mistakes growers make is over-nuteā€™ing their plants.

Soā€¦ Iā€™ve been doing literally a few drops of flower solution per gallon of water - I think I found a decent rate but i wont know until i have more time to experiment and cross-compare (and actually smoke the stuff).

Used a standard soil mix (Sunshine #4) ā€¦ Right away the plants started yellowing leaves (from sprout) so I researched and ended up making my own cal-mag using epsom salt and activated calcium (food processed eggshells + vinegar)ā€¦ leaves turned deep green within a week. Was awesome to watch

I pulled a couple of clones off the bottom and sent one straight into flower (which is budding out now) and the other is in full-veg mode. That third ā€œcloneā€ was already flowering so i just potted it and left it in the flower room (in a pic a few posts up) ā€¦ The two buds are getting frostier by the day.

Good times. Canā€™t wait for round 2.

2 Likes

And hereā€™s the end result :slight_smile:

Roughly 5 ounces dry ā€¦ .VERY good stuff on all 3 plants.

thereā€™s some ā€œcheeseā€ budshotā€¦ everything turned out better than expectedā€¦ Yield, potency, and the power i got from the butter i made out of the trimā€¦ very potent butter didnā€™t use anything quality. This stuff is straight top shelfā€¦Bubblegum grew in straight purple a little purple in the cheese buds as you can see (researching now what actually causes that). Awesome experienceā€¦ now im flowering out the three clones i ended up with via experimentation ā€¦ Then Iā€™ll start round-2.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Total successā€¦$50 setup.

Random question (dont want ot start a thread) Does ā€œautoflowerā€ mean growing from seed right into a 12/12 cycle?

8 Likes

congrats again! beautiful nuggage, especially for a first harvest, and with fluoros.

What did you use for the soil mix? Seems to work well.

1 Like

Thanks man- yeah im super stoked on how potent it turned out. Sunshine #4 soil mix with some ā€œaround-the-houseā€ cal-mag solutions and a VERY light amount of miracle grow liquid.feedā€¦ general plant food type during veg and general flower type during flower. .i would have gone with some kelp-based stuff since i live in Alaska and itā€™s everywhere but i literally had this stuff laying around the house and just did some research and gave it a go trying to minimize cost at every corner (since i assumed iā€™d be making mistakes on my first grow anyway).

Turns out i have a bit of a knack for this and just went off pure interest, soaking in as much info as i could regarding super-crop technique, when to flower, ideal temps/humidityā€¦ all that stuff.

Basically bare bones basic gardening soil (with perlite and other additivesā€¦ but im pretty sure nute freeā€¦sunshine #4 is the brand/type) with liquid nutes almost daily. I messed around with watering schedules and landed on basically daily , rotating between a light water and a heavier water day after day. always with a light amount of nutrient.

Had some gnats starting to show so i backed off the water a little bit and took care of them pretty fast (next time I will be treating all my soil first so any eggs in the soil will be either dried out or dead before i use it).

But yeah nothing special reallyā€¦ just a lot of bulb adjustment, leaf tucking, and general TLC.

Update:
I found there was a fine line in balancing how close to get the CFL bulbs (because of course you want them as close as possible without causing heat stress/damage) and got the bulbs a little bit close one day on the cheese ā€¦ ended up scorching a few good sugar tips but didnā€™t damage the buds ā€¦ and really focused a lot on keeping bulbs at different heights (using a hanging technique with bulb adapters from Home Depot) so they were always in optimal position/proximity for maximum efficiencyā€¦ i will probably alwways use CFL bulbs at least a couple to supplement a future LED setup because I like the way you can tuck them into fairly tight spots to get light where you otherwise could not (or Iā€™ll get my supercrop techniques up to snuff so i have a flat canvas and dont even have to worry about that).

2 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll chalk it up to (luckily) having a lot of time on my hands away from work to make daily adjustments- bulbsā€¦ a branch holding a branch holding a leaf bent 90 degrees toward the light with a whole other stock balancing off the counterweight of that to open up direct light on a lower node that was otherwise in pure shadeā€¦ crazy branch gymnastics :slight_smile:

1 Like

In case you didnā€™t find the answer yetā€¦
Nope, ā€œautoflowerā€ is a genetic trait wherein a plant starts flowering once it reaches maturity ā€“ it doesnā€™t start flowering based on a light cycle. Thereā€™s a debate thread about the pros and cons over here, and I think we have a few grows tagged with #autoflowering where you can see how they grow.

When I found out you canā€™t clone them, I immediately hated them :grin: Nothing worse than not being able to grow an amazing plant again.

4 Likes

Thank you! I have a lot to learn, wow (sorry was trying to figure out how to reply without bumping and double posted)

Except for the amazing plant that didnā€™t get grown because youā€™re growing the same thing again.

Just playing devils advocateā€¦ sorry about the thread jack.

3 Likes