Changing the sex of plants

I wouldn’t think of it that way. If the plant produces male flowers under stress and not from an ethylene blocker like STS, then you may be increasing the chance of having offspring with intersex traits.

You actually (at least with photoperiod plants) want to stress them out in all sorts of ways, to make sure they’re good parents. Some plants are too stable in a way, and can’t be reversed.

That was the problem in the early days of creating female seeds and it created a huge problem in getting people to see true “feminized” seeds as being valuable.

You still won’t really know if the offspring are stable until you grow them out, but at least with colloidal silver or STS, there’s a chance that things go well.

6 Likes

If my female throws nanners and they pollinate, is this feminized pollen?

3 Likes

No, that is a hermaphroditic plant. The offspring will continue to carry on that trait.

Only reversing a female plant will create feminized pollen to make 99.9% female seeds.

When making feminized seeds, you need to take cuts from the female plant you are planning on using in the reversal so you can pollinate it with the feminized pollen for a true S1

7 Likes

Hello @BeTheLight

This Summer I was impacted by a Soggy field, and was introduced to a Survival trick that Cannabis use for Self-Preservation.

Before Two plants (Durban Poison and Fighting Bilbo) actually died from a Boggy, Wet location this Summer, they each produced a significant amount of Seeds leading into the mid-late portion of Flower.

RODELIZATION, is the term. And producing Feminized Seeds is the Official outcome. Hermaphroditic potential and all that comes with it, but so does survival.

I’m drying the ~ 200 seeds per plant, many are solid dark with Spots… so they will be easy to edit. They look juicy

I’ve learned that plants sense End of Life conditions and this is one of the results.

Good Luck in your efforts. You could just Not Harvest a Plant… and before it tips over, long past potential, its going to be full of Fem seeds

Go Buddy

3 Likes

Right on , Rodelization is the way :smiley: , not harvesting sounds like a good idea . Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Your awesome!

Fem seeds can be completely natural and found in the wild id assume, super cool !!!

2 Likes

I’ m blushing… but really its all new to me as well. Always happy to share these Gory details.

Reality is the seeds can be young, incomplete, and yeah may carry deficiencies. But they can be pure strain savers as well.

Edit hard and have Fun Bro

Cheers, and a visual story. Trying to upgrade the cannabis with Cobbing.
2 oz of ea strain went into the cobbs. We got to play with a half ea. gonna be fun.

And it was the tiniest Pull, and out it popped

Durban Poison let us know she was Not happy (and to the cob-heads out there. Durban is barely going to have proper moisture levels, and she’s Sweating in the pkg)

Kudos to @TopShelfTrees1, he called it first !

4 Likes

Woohoo! What do I win :trophy: lol just playing! Love it

1 Like

Rodelization is not the way. You’re still carrying over the intersex traits to the offspring with that method.

Now if you’re a breeder and don’t have a male to continue the genetics, than sure, rodelization is the way. Then you can continue to work the line for plants that don’t have intersex genetics.

But it’s not “the way” to make fem seeds

6 Likes

God, I know. I spent the time trying to make a constructive reply to this thread and everything! :rofl:
FML

4 Likes

I don’t know the way :sob: but I’m learning

2 Likes

Thanks a Zillion for that information @Cyr_grow. Truly appreciate the Conditions that apply to its effectiveness.

Have a great nite.

4 Likes

When you order Tech Support from Wish LMAO

I make my own colloidal silver. It cost me NOTHING to make and your equipment can be reused forever. I only spray at lights out for the first 4 days of the flip to 12-12. After 3 weeks I have male flowers. It has never failed.