Changing the sex of plants

is it possible to change a plant from female to male so i can harvest some pollen and make more seeds? i’ve read a lot about going the other way but not this way that i can recall. i have some feminized seeds and wanted to make more, not necessarily more feminized, just more seeds so i don’t run out and have some to share with everyone. that’s how i got them, and it was cool as hell and i can’t just NOT give back. i’m gonna breed the others as well and harvest seeds, but some were feminized and i hate to lose them. thanx and here’s a pic to entertain you.

7 Likes

I know nothing about plant sex reversal, but I certainly was entertained!

Reversing females is pretty common knowledge these days and easily searchable.
You need STS. Silver Thiosulfate; made up of Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate
STS instructions.pdf (907.4 KB)
or you can buy a product called Elite x Elite.

There is CS; Colloidal Silver, but it’s not as effective at all and I wouldn’t recommend using it.

I’m confused where you’ve read a lot about reversing males to females as that’s very uncommon and I’ve only seen a couple papers about it and some anecdotal reports. I have the stuff to do it (ethephon/florel) but would appreciate any extra info on that if you had it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Are they searching for the mouse?

For reversing female → male: Two options I know: Colloidal Silver or STS.
For reversing male → female: One option I know: Ethephon.

Is this the paper you have, @HolyAngel ?
S0044-328X2980012-7 - ethephon.pdf (617.2 KB)

Thx and HG!

2 Likes

maybe i was mistaken on the direction. thanx for that though, and now that i read it i recall seeing it. i think i was misunderstanding the basic premise and not paying attention to the rest, not uncommon for me.

and i think they got him later, but he was not harmed much and got away down a vent after being thoroughly soaked.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Pretty much the title, I’m growing Siberian Ruderalis and Bubblegum auto, I would like to preserve the genetics as I only have 3 more Siberians and 3 more bubblegum seeds .

I don’t have any pollen to make new crosses right now so this seems like the best bet.

Edit : I would have went to google but I like the information OG has :smiley: ( which is still the same info i can find on google :eyes: :rofl: )

Edit 2 : Waitttt ain’t this plant abuse

3 Likes

I use elitexelite spray to reverse. Colloidal silver and sts sprays are what most use. Stress can herm and get ya feminized pollen but hormone sprays are the way to go for reliability. But light stress is what I think was used back in the day.

Timing with autos is key. I usually start the one, or ones I am going to pick from, Im going to reverse a week or two before the rest of the ladies. Worst case I can collect the pollen and use when needed but nothing worse than a late or failed reversal and late pollenated ladies.

3 Likes

Reversing is a completely new idea for me, The spray does what now? Cancel out the herm???

Reversing/the spray makes your female produce pollen sacs but with female pollen, that then (the female pollen) can be used on the same plant or other plants to make feminized seeds.

4 Likes

Well you learn something new everyday!

Thats fascinating , I may have to go light stress route :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But as @FiveGar mentioned, using Silver thiosulfate (STS) or Colloidal Silver is a more reliable way.

4 Likes

Same here.
I thought the spray tricked the Fem plant to think it was pollinated and produced seeds… Fuck im soooo noob.
🤷

1 Like

Im ultra noob

1 Like

I spent 26$ on eBay and I had a scale that would weight .00. I Can make 50 300ml bottles of STS reversal spray. It works. I didn’t need to use most of it hehe. You can store those chemicals indefinitely.

10 Likes

Greetings @BeTheLight
Here’s some info you might consider:

Best of luck,
-Grouchy

5 Likes

Make your own STS with ingredients bought off of eBay.

4 Likes

This is the way

6 Likes

Here ya go bud. I can guarantee that this works.
:wink:

10 Likes