Chat room (let's chat!) šŸ’¬ (Part 1)

Iā€™ve been here for a few years never experienced any negativity anywhere from anyone really donā€™t understand what has changed and why or how but I would hate to think this place I love so much is being hijacked for whatever reason

3 Likes

I wont take that personally as I donā€™t think that describes me other than being new, but thats a broad brush to paint new users withā€¦

If the OG spirit is to share knowledge, help others, spread some seeds and have a good laugh, THATS what I have seenā€¦ Sure Iā€™ve seen drama too, much less than other placesā€¦ I think its a friendly place even WITH the dramaā€¦

I donā€™t join cliquesā€¦ Iā€™m that social butterfly who will chat with anyoneā€¦ And I did have a good conversation with a certain mod last night about other kinds of plants, why? Because Iā€™m here to learn about them, and share my knowlege with othersā€¦ Grudges are for children, and I donā€™t hold emā€¦

Having been in the fire on the aquarium forum myself, I know its not an easy job to mod, and its usually a thankless job. I also realize, as a free forum, be grateful, you donā€™t have a right to just piss all over the place, just the same as if you went to a free park, you donā€™t just piss all over the placeā€¦ If you came to my house and pissed everywhere, damn sure you wouldnā€™t stay longā€¦ Soā€¦ I try to respect the rulesā€¦ But if an infraction is made, TELL the user why, donā€™t just close threads without explanation. If I learned anything moderating the reef forums, when that happens, you ARE gonna expect blowback from usersā€¦

Communication goes a long way to nip these things in the budā€¦ And isnā€™t that why werā€™e on a forum in the first place? A place to communicate?

Iā€™d love a peek at the moderators forumsā€¦ Be curious what their concerns are for sureā€¦ In the end, I may not be old school OG, but it doesnā€™t mean new people wonā€™t bring stuff to the table, and I just want a drama / flame free place where I can learn and shareā€¦ Those lamenting that it was different years ago need to realize a year and a half ago was pre-covid, and man, shit REALLY has changed, people have changed, hell the whole friggen world has changedā€¦ Change is inevitableā€¦

5 Likes

Does everyone prefer to run their lights at night, or during the day?

I do night myself but I always wondered if that would disrupt the circadian rhythm of the plants.

1 Like

As long as you keep it consistent they donā€™t care.

3 Likes

Depends on season but for the most part I run them when hydro is cheapest and try to avoid peak times

3 Likes

I run my lights 9 PM to 9 AM when doing photos. I have enough time at night to work on the plants, and also in the morning as I am an early riser. But it helps keep the house cool and thus lowers my electric usage.

2 Likes

Plants AND corals, as long as its regular schedule, they have no clue on the outside worldā€¦

I light mine 6am to midnightā€¦ Used to light my aquariums 6pm - 6am. What works for my scheduleā€¦ Without access to the sun, our lights replace it. I did a number of coral breeding experiments where lunar phases and day length were in play, and the corals did what they have for eonsā€¦ Spawn on the full moon (or, the full moon LED brightness in my tanks). As long as I kept my artificial environment similar to the real thing, nature took its course. I could shift hours, but the ā€œenvironmentā€ had to stay the sameā€¦ i.e. 14 hours of light, 30 days or so for lunar cycles. If my LED full moon was when it was a new moon, corals still spawned, because to them, it WAS the full moonā€¦

1 Like

I would agree that this place is a reflection of the users and in the end the Mods and team are huge part of that. They too are users and lead by example. I wont speculate what is going on behind closed doors with the staff, all I can do is have faith they will deal with whatever those concerns are so we can all grow on. They are the gatekeepers and were put in those roles for a reason. Got to let them do their thing and respect it.

3 Likes

ps. Im envious of you guys with electric companies that discount off peak hoursā€¦ My current electric co doesnā€™t, when I kept aquariums 10 years ago, different electric co, and they did. BOY did that save money, and why my tanks were lit overnightā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t know much about subatomic particles, but I remember reading of cave ecosystems that still had a day and night cycle despite being isolated from the sun.

Last thing I want to see is an article ā€œParticle physicists discover neutrinos cause hermiesā€

2 Likes

And honestly, I dont wanna know! I stepped down as staff on the aquarium forum when I moved and took my tank downā€¦ Moderating IS a jobā€¦ And I donā€™t want that job currently, just wanna laugh, teach and learn at this point in my lifeā€¦

3 Likes

yes, cave ecosystems are amazingā€¦ even cenotes / underwater cavesā€¦ Its super interesting how centuries of an ecosystem can still be on the real day and night cycles being experienced outside of them, despite not being exposed to the sun for a hundred yearsā€¦

That is certainly an unexplained anomaly yetā€¦

But I fooled my corals into thinking it was time for the nono-chacha, so clearly they can adjust, or maybe they were just horny and wondering WTF is this aquarium keeper doing :crazy_face:

2 Likes

What the fuck man?! Of anyone I can think of that deserves testers from these companies youā€™re definitely on the list but Iā€™m jealous as hell :laughing:

Also out of likes but I like your post in real life.

Some people consider the happiness of others to be unbearable. I donā€™t get it. Like Sheesh, who shit in your cornflakes?

2 Likes

interesting article btwā€¦ Thereā€™s so much we donā€™t know yet,. science amazes me!

1 Like

Yes, thank you for the article @lophophora.ca :pray:

Really cool that itā€™s here in Ontario too. Iā€™ve heard and read about neutrinos, I thought they were doing research closer to the arctic regions though.

I hope your kidding, your posts have helped and inspired me bro.

3 Likes

And that there is why I have issues with the ā€œwater coolerā€ on the free seeds. People shoulds spend that time on peoples thread. Learning, helping and shooting the bull and getting to know the person. I make it a point to try to read every bodies thread at least once.

I love your spare bathroom thread :green_heart:

7 Likes

Not taking a side but I prefer to have minimal chit chat in my thread.

A little is fine and questions are welcome but Iā€™d rather it to not turn into a 1000 page long chat thread.

I use it as a notepad because Iā€™m bad at taking notes (when did these go into flower again?) and to brag/document mistakes.

Anyway, maybe itā€™s just me.

10 Likes

If not for the water cooler my thread would be 1000ā€™s of my own posts talking to myself.

Take a look at my posts read/topics viewed. Iā€™m a better reader than contributor :wink:

Also, thank you!

4 Likes

Ok, so what about those who do read everyoneā€™s thread as well as make their own? That ā€œwater coolerā€ thread was a place to go when the days reading is done. Just something to keep in mind. Some of us read most new journals and posts when they come up and chatting in 1 thread does not deter me from my own threads nor visiting others.

5 Likes

But that isnā€™t the same. We arenā€™t a bunch of people hanging out with one person, weā€™re all hanging with each other coming and going. Plus I keep hearing how part of the problem is that chat makes it harder to get to valuable grow information so going to chat in someoneā€™s thread like we all went over to someoneā€™s house for the day makes no sense.

4 Likes