Chat room (let's chat!) 💬 (Part 3)

We do what we have to do bud, glad you got it sorted without hurting yourself. Now take care and get some rest brother.

1 Like

So expect squirrel stew for lunch tomorrow ?

2 Likes

congrats
squirreltrophy

be careful now they’re out to get you too:

squirreltrophy1

9 Likes

Thanks @DougDawson. I definitely need to just get cheeched an chill out tonight.

@ShiskaberrySavior I threw it in the prickle bushes. :laughing:
Then reloaded the trap with peanuts an put it back on the roof just in case any more try to break in through my shitty patch job. :rofl:

@anonymous4289 I bet they are. They are vicious little bastards.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Brunswick Stew :slight_smile:

• 2-3 squirrels
  • 2 cups stock
  • 4 tbsp bacon fat
  • 2-3 onions, sliced very thin
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp rosemary
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup Madeira
  • 3/4 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup lima beans , or other broad bean
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1 cup cut okra, optional - I couldn’t get any
  • bread crumbs
  • chopped parsley
8 Likes

How much meat is on a Squirrel? Doesn’t seem like much…

2 Likes

3 will make a nice lil batch of squirrel dumplings haven’t done it in 10+ years though. every now and again i’ll pop one and boil it for my jack russell

5 Likes

Think of the meat about equivalent to a chicken thigh portion wise. Opossum is also a traditional meat in that stew :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Used to get 2 dollars a pelt back in the 70’s when they were making squirrel lined hats .

6 Likes

Yeah. It always amazes me the looks on some when you tell them about a specific meat. Some seem to think that since humans were around that they had butcher shops and grocery stores when in reality it was whatever you could get your hands on. Squirrel, Racoon, rabbit etc were staples for many families.

11 Likes

When you get to talking about anything that people take for granted, they get kinda squeamish or their eyes glaze over. I was looking into tanning leather and everyone I know was just like “good luck you wacko” so I’d imagine any kind of hunting and farming talk gets a similar reaction

6 Likes

I was happy with my first shirt.
So I got another one, as well as a hoody. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you @Sebring
I hope you are doing okay. We are here for you! :slightly_smiling_face: :green_heart:

14 Likes

Love that sweatshirt!! :thinking: :green_heart::v:

4 Likes

Yeah, it takes people out of their comfort zone. They have been sheltered from such things that were what kept humans alive for a very long time. I am into technology but also practice a ton of privative living skills. I think all humans should connect with the old ways on at least some level to help understand the struggles that got us to now.

9 Likes

I just tend to get hyper fixated on stuff and then I get weird about it doing the deeper more unnecessary work. If I played violin I’d probably make my own gut strings at least once, traditionally, because that’s the way I work.

I made a pair of boots last year, and have a friend of a friend who is a cattle farmer who we buy beef from, and he’s said he’d give me the hides for free if I made him a pair of boots, so I went down a week long research hole about that. It’s just a lot of work and stinky, and I don’t need my neighbors complaining about the crazy shit I do in my yard, I’m growin’ pot over here.

12 Likes

Glad you caught the little bugger, I don’t have them in the house but they like my bird feeder, we have a red tail hawk that hang’s out here. Im waiting for her to do her job and catch him/her, its a long run to the woods in the open.

3 Likes

Today we had a power outage again, no fing way, I was sitting in the parking lot at work when I got the message. I just looked in on the garden a half hour earlier, first time I called off in ten years but I wasn’t having a loss again. Powers back on.:wink: were all safe.

6 of 8 blueberry 10+ year old seeds, not too shabby.

12 Likes

Very happy you are taking care of YOURSELF through your gardening process. This is a solid boundary to have! Right now I was ABOUT to run out to drive to work but it’s a total :snowflake: White Out :snowflake: so I’m making coffee #3 and chilling until it stops before I commute.

I know what I need to do today and it’s NOT important enough to move through this versus my own safety (which also means family safety).

5 Likes

Heh, they give a bonus for perfect attendance, not worth losing my whole grow again. This is the first time I have had this problem, we had ice 1/2 inch thick on the lines, trees, driveway, but the roads were ok. Oh well its a 3 day weekend now👍🏻

3 Likes