Chat room (let's chat!) 💬 (Part 4)

My son is in Chicago attending a week long introductory Stereotomy class. Stereotomy is a classic building method that focuses, though not exclusively, on roof and roof extension (e.g., dormers) design and construction. Here’s the part that should blow your mind - It uses no math! None. No adding, no subtracting, no geometry and/or trig! Numbers are used, but not manipulated. They may be used, but only for measuring lengths. For any of you who are builders, it’s literally a different way of viewing virtually anything human made.

This is a continuing education class being paid for by his local (not Chicago). Union strong!

So anyways, class began today and he sent me this picture. I’m crying as I think about it. That’s my father’s drafting scale that he used when he was in high school and beyond. He graduated in 1926. I am so emotional right now trying to type this.

This roof was designed and built by the fellow teaching Eli’s class. He designed it using simple drafting tools (straight edge, a couple of drafting triangles, pencils and virtually nothing else) and built it using tools any journeyman carpenter would own. I’m confident I own all the tools that would necessary to build it but no clue where to begin.

One more. This is the inside structure of a final exam project designed and hand built using stereotomy. The entire project stands about 3’ high. He passed.

I wouldn’t have the vaguest idea where to begin even thinking about designing or building this or the roof, and I have framed a couple of roofs myself (using no trusses). I would have so no idea…

17 Likes