Chat room (let's chat!) šŸ’¬ (Part 4)

Any OG members here know much about outdoor security cameras ? Or any recommendations?
I currently have 6 outdoor wireless wifi Blink cameras from Amazon.
3 of them are causing me headaches.
I am also tired of changing batteries. All of the cameras are only accessible by ladder. So it is kind of a pain in the ass.

Would cameras that have wires be better/more reliable ? I am not afraid of drilling holes to run wires inside my home, I would seal them up good.

Main thing is my current cameras are not always reliable wifi wise, or the cameras just suck. Live view rarely works, and sometimes they donā€™t record me walking by at all.

2 Likes

The bigger systems by companies like Lorex are a lot better all around than wifi cameras like blink (or wyze, which I currently have around my place now). I had a wired system in my last place and it was awesome, sooo much better.

The only problem with them, you may need to know a little more about networks to be able to access the cameras from outside your place. But, that also means your security isnā€™t sitting in the cloud, itā€™s behind your own firewall.

2 Likes

I mean, cameras that are wired for power and video would always be more reliable if you can run the stuff. I am not current on the latest tech so I canā€™t make any recommendations.

1 Like

I am totally fine with not being able to access the cameras through my phone. I could still keep a blink camera or two around for that if I needed to.

I think Iā€™d like to go with the wired setupā€¦
I can run the wires myself no problem.

Couple questions for you guys.

How would I view these wired cameras? On my computer, or tv?
Is there like a separate thingy that it stores the videos on or how does that work?
Also, is there extensions for wires for the cameras?
2 cameras are in my drive way area and that is about 70 feet away or so from where the wires would be run to.

1 Like

Iā€™m not super knowledgeable, but I have 4 Ring cameras set up with wifi & each a solar panel to charge their battery. Works perfectly well, even in our cloudy and short-days pacific northwest.

2 Likes

I have a Lorex system that has an app for your phone, so you can definitely view it when youā€™re home, Iā€™m sure other companies do as well.

The system I had installed connected to your tv, and had a web interface so you could browse to it with your computer. The Lorex system I had I didnā€™t try, but Iā€™m sure it was the same (maybe not the tv connection, Iā€™m not sure).

Yup, itā€™s called a ā€œDVRā€, digital video recorder. The size of the drive in it depends on how much you want to spend.

Iā€™m not 100% sure, but I believe the max distance is usually 100ā€™ā€¦ But thatā€™s something to look into, for sure.

I was going to do my own install, but when I got into it I realized Iā€™m a big guy and I donā€™t fit in small spaces in attics, lol. The problem is, I couldnā€™t find a company that would install a system that didnā€™t come from them.

If I were you Iā€™d have a look at all the places youā€™d have to get into, the wires youā€™d have to run through walls, etc., and then get a quote for install from a proā€¦ It might save your sanity (it did mine, hahaha).

This all said, Iā€™m definitely no expert, Iā€™ve just played around with the technology for a while :grin::metal:.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the replies!
I went down, wait, I fell down a rabbit hole and started researching this stuff.
I think I am going to go with thisā€¦
and some 100 ft cables and I think I will be good to go.
Comes with a 1tb hard drive and 4 cameras. Apparently you can hook up 8.

After looking at some youtube videos I think these will be perfect, without breaking the bank.

2 Likes

Right on :metal:. Make sure the cameras can actually go far enough for youā€¦ You might be able to get extensions, but that doesnā€™t mean the camera will have enough oomph to send a decent quality video (that little mistake cost me $700ish when the installers had to come back to install different cables with separate power and stuff šŸ¤¦)

2 Likes

Nice looking camera setup :metal:

1 Like

I will have to look into that. :thinking:

was having the same problems while back looked into getting better system sparky at work said ist your wifi he was right i had the cheapest one from staples and it had 2 walls to get thru to intended target went and got a good router and put it in the window strait shot worked the charm for 50 bucks or so

3 Likes

@Pigeonman Tatiana maslany is the best actress dead or alive. Argue with me about it.

1 Like

Is FANTASTIC!. Absolutely.

Though I prefer them a little more psychotic. :wink:

1 Like

Who is that? Sheā€™s hot and indeed crazy as fuck looking.

1 Like

Fiona Dourif.

Her dad is Charles Lee Ray so crazy as fuck is in her blood!

1 Like

Lol. Her dad is Chucky? Iā€™m def gonna have to check her out real quick!

Looks about as crazy as one of my exesā€¦ Like, literally :joy:

I have no idea who she is , but THAT and a bottle of whiskey would keep me occupied for a whole day. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure she would, Magu. Iā€™m sure she would :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Started some regs:
Bullskinnerā€™s Sour Blutooth F2
Shagā€™s Strawberry Guava x Black Lime Reserve
Freeborn Selections Hollywood Pure Kush x Skycuddler double Kush

8 Likes