Cheap, organic pest control

Thanks for catching that bro. I’m tired.

At 2 ounces to a gallon, I should be able to mix 224 gallons. You can double that strength for heavier infestations.

2 Likes

I would like to mess around with this and ground organic amendments for topdressing. I have been playing around with a further simplified water-only soil mix for my dad in the lab at-home but noticing that the organic recharge blends both homemade and over the counter are ALL hydrophobic… Was thinking about diluted Castile soap as this is readily available, making slurries but they stink and are hard to get all the goods out… I have been wanting to do some digging surrounding organic wetting agents and up pops this thread.

Cheers @Badger for sharing this, it was totally off my radar :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Maybe I missed the obvious, but … how much water, KOH and canola oil are we talking?

Also, is the end product caustic or is that “neutralized” by the oil? Any precautions necessary when handling it?

How is the end product used? How is it stored?

6 Likes

Ya I was trying to figure that one in my head while high and it wasn’t working out to well for me! Initially on the fly I was thinking over 200 + but the partial numbers was giving me issues guess the combo of calculator and Krishna kush weren’t playing nice together! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! Lol

1 Like

Ya Castile soap , yucca, aloe all have re-wetting capabilities IIRCC I’m sure there’s more, I spray it in the soil surface from time to time to assist This intially it’s caustic but I believe it neutralizes with the reaction .

2 Likes

It’s just oilsoap. Higher pH but you don’t need that much KOH to saponify the oil, and mixed with water, and that concentrate mixed with water, it’s probably fairly mild end result.

Just be cautious especially with your eyes around the KOH and wear gloves/goggles wen mixing. After it’s mixed it’s just like any soap.

8 Likes

Right on Bro! Sharing is caring!

nice one - I found this recipe online:

How to Make JWA:

Items Needed:

• Heat-Resistant Container with Air-Tight Lid
  • Kitchen Scale
  • Immersion Blender or Drill With Mixing Attachment
  • Bowls for Weighing Out Inputs
  • Potassium Hydroxide (KOH)
  • Canola Oil
  • Filtered Water

Instructions:

This recipe will make approximately 3.5 gallons of JADAM Wetting Agent.

1. Measure out 400 grams of potassium hydroxide in a bowl and measure out 312.5 grams of filtered water.
  2. Place the water in the heat-resistant-container. Then, pour the potassium hydroxide in and immediately cover with a lid, as this is a caustic chemical reaction taking place that can be dangerous and will produce temps up to 220 degrees. Swirl the container around to fully dissolve the potassium hydroxide.
  3. Measure out 76 fl. oz. of canola oil in a bowl. Pour the canola oil into the heat-resistant container with the potassium hydroxide solution.
  4. Using the blending tool, mix the solution until a thin mayonnaise consistency is formed.
  5. Place the lid on the container and allow it to sit for 3 days or until it becomes hard like butter. If it does not harden up, re-mix the solution with the blending tool.
  6. Add 84.5 fl. oz. of filtered water to the container and mix gently with the blending tool. Make sure all clumps are off the bottom and side of the container.
  7. Add an additional 253.6 fl. oz. of filtered water to the container. Stir manually.
  8. Place lid on the container and allow it to melt slowly for 24 hours and it will be complete. Store in a tightly sealed container. It has no expiration date

this make it sound like you have to use it up right away when in fact it has “no expiration date”

5 Likes

Thanks for posting @monkeyman ! If anyone is interested in like a 5 quart quantity I have it in my 2019 thread about post 100 IIRCC

3 Likes

I’ll add that even when on the final dilution make sure RO/distilled water is used throughout the entire process makes the bug killer more effective !

2 Likes
2 Likes

Actually I own my goggles and thick gloves because I used KOH to make a reagent to detect CBD, that’s why I was asking about it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, I was going to post the recipe but I forgot. I mainly wanted to convey the point that this was easy to make first. Numbers can kinda muddy things up sometimes.

I’m just gonna store mine in a sealed bucket at room temp.

3 Likes

All good, I was just wondering if it’s me not finding the numbers before coffee. :smile:

1 Like

Or use one of the gallons of distilled water Containers you just bought to make This awesome stuff!

Mine might be currently in a rinsed our milk jug! Lol

1 Like

I’m extremely glad I could help!

1 Like

Thanks for popping in buddy. I don’t see you much lately. I’ve been looking forward to giving you a hard time since the last time :wink:

2 Likes

I always got time to plug goggle safety.

Am I great about it personally…no…but do as I say, not as I do haha.

I also chose not to wear gloves last time around a lye solution and now my hands still feel like paper.

3 Likes

Eyes are extremely important for sure. You’ve only got one set.

3 Likes

Ya them high level acids and bases can really fuck things up ! When working for Tyson we used both and using HCL in an meat and blood analysis a drip ate right into the heavy leather boots I was wearing ! Glad I wasn’t wearing sandals that day! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

4 Likes