Chiefer’s Den

Switched to bottom watering for my bigger two plants in hopes of killing off the fungus gnats that have been beating up my Orange Julius (313 seeds [Mother’s Milk x Mimosa]) and Orion (Dino Party [NL2HP x Grandpa’s Breath]). I’ve got three seedlings going as well that so far are happy. Two are from my growmie Mac, he calls it Double Dawg Biscuits (Purple Stardawg x Cookies n Chem). I also have a Sebring’s Revenge going.

7 Likes

Well I’ve been wrestling with my plants. I transitioned from coco to soil and was hoping for a simpler more natural approach. I don’t think that I have made the best choices along the way. My soil has been Miracle Grow Organic Soil for containers, mixed with some peat, coco, and perlite. I had added some amendments in: Azomite, Dr Earth Herb and Veggie mix, Biolive, and insect frass. At the advice of a gromie I have sent for a bag of different soil. I have Roots Organic Original coming my way. I’ll take cuts from my two established ladies and see if I can get my soil mix worked out a bit better.

1 Like

Upon what I have read it is not a good idea, roots go down fast and you get root bound and salts build up. You would have to remove stagnant water to avoid root rot and suffocating them. Some people just put a layer of perlite on top, others also sand but it goes down and mixes with the soil after some waterings … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@George1961, I haven’t been using fertilizer salts, but my first attempt at bottom watering had me finding my plants looking super thirsty the next day. I may just stick with top watering.

3 Likes

Ive been fighting them with yellow sticky traps and Mosquito Bits so far and now I don’t see two at the same time :muscle:. They are pricey but Tappy posted a link for similar much cheaper, I have ordered some … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I could never, ever get bottom watering to work, and I tried a few times. It’s a cool concept, but caused me so many problems each time I tried.

2 Likes

Two Double Dawg Biscuits (Purple Srardawg x Cookies n Chem) and one Sebring’s Revenge vegging along.

7 Likes

My more mature vegging ladies. I see some improvement in health on Orange Julius (Mother’s Milk x Plemon), but Orion (NL2HP x Grandpa’s Breath) is still showing quite a bit of chlorosis.

7 Likes

Up potted my Sebring’s Revenge and two Double Dawg Biscuits last night. They are in .7 gallon nursery containers. I plan to flip them to flower in a few days.

10 Likes

I’ve been curious about that one! Next grow, I am going to throw in a couple CBD females just because I am getting interested in the medical side a bit more, out of necessity. I’ll be interested in watching it grow, and also how it smokes. It’s between Sebrings Revenge, Canna-Tsu, and Rich Blessing.

You’re plants are looking beautiful, btw. Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

I haven’t had fungus gnats in any numbers for quite some time , but have battled them before. One thing I found worked great was letting my pots dry out to the point the plants almost start to wilt. After doing that twice in a row their eggs and larvae die off from lack of moisture.
Yellow sticky traps are a must as well as not over watering and an oscillating fan messing with their ability to fly where they want.

5 Likes

Group shot: DDB has sexed (1 male, 1 female). My Sebring’s Revenge appears to be a dude. @Sebring I was under the impression that these were fems, what do you make if this?

10 Likes

The only male within a 100 yards was the Moonglow male (super resinous apricot kush). I’d cut it and replant another one.

5 Likes

I can’t say with 100% certainly that I didn’t mix it up with one of the two reg beans I dropped and transplanted on the same days, but I definitely took care to pay attention. Anyhow how, he’s going to get the ax and I’ll pop another for the next go.

4 Likes

Sebring’s Revenge getting the ax.

Also one of my male DDBs

9 Likes

Group shot

8 Likes

Popped a few beans including (3) Pura Vida f2 from @nube and a Sebring’s Revenge from @Sebring . Updates to follow!

5 Likes

Here is my Double Dawg Biscuits from my growmie Mac. Purple Stardawg x Cookies n Chem.

16 Likes

Yay for popping new seeds! I hope you find 1) at least one female and 2) something good in those three PV F2 seeds. Gonna be a long shot since it was an open pollination with lots of variety, but I wish you luck! :wink: Pop more if you can!

7 Likes

I hear ya, my space is tiny and I like to run a couple of different things at a time. I guess I could cull as I go, but I just haven’t gotten to a point where I’m confident in picking favorites by early flower.

3 Likes