Clone off a clone, off a clone

FEBRUARY 2020

Approximately 10 generations later…

FEBRUARY 2021

Not exactly empirical data, but good evidence that nothing has changed or degraded.

22 Likes

Good evidence and damn good lookin.

6 Likes

I love it! Back in the day, I hated seeds, I started with a single cut and went from there.
Seed in this site are just so much easier to trade and pass around. Then there’s so much variety out there now that it’s hard to not want to try it all! But I love keeping a mother plant and rooting cuttings is so much more consistent than starting seeds with different phenos.

3 Likes

It’s all environmental. If a plant is growing in a tough spot it will tend to look funny. If you can get it outdoors under the sunlight, with proper nutrition, they tend to go back to 100%

4 Likes

Both do look great but the older batch looks like it has a little more of that purple bag appeal. Was there a major change like lighting or temps?

1 Like

Yep your 100% spot on , genetic drift is very rare and hard to even force in a lab it became a band wagon excuse for lack of understanding the plants ability to express it’s self differently for any number of reasons some understood and some not. I cringe Everytime I hear about somebody letting a rare strain go because they think it’s tired or changed over time. Put her outside for a the season and clone some healthy branches and see what happens or get your room dialed in before you blame the plants dna, then again maybe they have hemp viroid in which case they may need to clone there plant unless they are willing to spend a year trying to sterilize and isolate a branch it hasn’t spread to yet which is next to impossible outside of a lab.

7 Likes

I agree, but then There are old and root bound mothers, that cuttings don’t root well any more. Make a new mother, and it will be fine. Otherwise up pot after loosening roots. Or treat like a bonsai, chop her back, both foliage and in the root ball. Then add new soil and replant back into same container.

6 Likes

I’ve had to resort to that to save a plant somebody else had neglected , chopped the roots back to put in a smaller pot and cloned the new growth once it recovered , that plants was still a little slow growing, took a clone of that plant so completely new tissue at that point and all is well and back to happy normal growth.

7 Likes

Been growing the same plant since the late 90s. Sometimes a mother, other times I have just clones away.
Here are some babies now that are from the 90s.

@FattyRoots

13 Likes

Whatch got there @MysteryMoog , the 90’s gear?

6 Likes

Well, I thinks it is the ECSD. As a matter of fact, now that my hand is doing better and I am up and moving, I am sending a cut to Mark Thompson (NOT EMERY, my bad) and @Blowingupjake this week. So…we will see.

4 Likes

They used to call it genetic drift on the first OG. Personally I think it’s bs. I’m sure genetics can degrade over time though. Like humans, cancer, and other types of rouge cells. That’s just some cells though, and not the genetic code overall.

Nice. It always feels great to get the weight off. You have plenty to offer, no matter how you grow.

1 Like

I’ve practiced root pruning recently as well. It was mostly for fun on one I let get super root bound. Once I pruned the roots, she went into a fabric pot :wink:

Emery still around, aye?
Used to do biz with him back in the 90’s.

1 Like

@OleReynard I am sorry, not Emery. I meant Mark Thompson, no idea why I said Emery…

Well hell, now that I think about it, I suppose it could be the same guy…lol (its not)

1 Like

Very well could be

1 Like

See, absolutely no genetic drift in over 20 years.

Hahaha…but seriously, here is a clone that is in my greenhouse, and it’s been alive either as a clone or mother, since the mid to late 90s. Still the best smoke I have ever had. Same clones as the previous pic in my veg room.

@FattyRoots

7 Likes

Same lights, different temps due to being grown at different times of the year. Temps absolutely impacts the color expression of many strains, but this thread was created by @FattyRoots to discuss the genetics being weakened by not having a mother plant and, instead, perpetually taking clones off clones. My position is that the genetics are not weakened; they remain a constant. Yes, temps and other conditions affect how certain traits are brought out, but that’s something completely different.

Edit: I just trimmed this yesterday. I think it will dry to show the same “purple bag appeal” you think is missing, and this from a batch that’s 14 generations later.

10 Likes

Mine has turned out so much different youd swear it was a different plant at times. ALL having to do with the grow enviroment itself. Outside its always the same, but inside the end result can be vastly different. I am switched over to LEDs now, and octopots on the way. So will be interesting how they respond to the changes.

6 Likes

The phenotypic expression in different conditions can make a huge difference. Strength and spectrum of lighting, heat and humidity, growing media and nutrients used all cause the plant to respond differently. Same plant and dna, different ways of expressing it.

3 Likes