Cloning help with rooting for soil

jeremy from build-a-soil has some youtube videos specifically about cloning. he seems to have quite good success with his process.

4 Likes

Buildasoil has some great videos!

4 Likes

I find I get better results rooting in my bubble cloner and then planting than I do by putting them straight into the dirt.

4 Likes

I have been using clonex root gel then placing in water. Tall shot glasses work great. I used tap water and add some when it evaporates. It took forever but eventually had the thickest roots I have seen. Just planted them in soil a few weeks ago and they are still doing great.

This last set of clones I used this tiny little bucket with a tiny air stone and air pump. These have been in for around 10 days. I change the water every 3-4 days and add a splash of peroxide. You can get the whole set up for $43 shipped. But if you have a bucket you could probably build it for like 20-25. It’s been several days so I will try and snap a new photo of roots tomorrow, they are much bigger now.

9 Likes

This is the best Cloning video I can find from BAS.

Lots of great info in here.

I use a very similar method without all the products and it works great. The information he provides will get you were you need to be to have great success :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Several different methods in this thread…

Cloning Methods…

5 Likes

@PhilCuisine beat me too it.:point_up:t2: This thread is an absolute wealth of info in regards to cloning

3 Likes

I’ve tried a bunch of different ways when it comes to cloning. Cheapest, easiest way was leaving the cuts in a regular old drinking glass and replacing its water every day with fresh water (this way takes TIME). More expensive/mad scientist way that gets roots in about 7-10 days is to soak some 1.5" grodan cubes in water with clonex solution and a microbe product. then i like dipping the cuts in hypochlorous acid (Athena cleanse) Cleanliness is key! From there I give the cuts a quick dunk into clonex gel and then into the grodan cubes. Love the grodan cubes great for going into any medium. the real key is lighting. Keep your lighting lower than normal so the plant focuses on root development and not photosynthesis. Good luck! hope to see you get them going!

1 Like

Biggest thing I’ve found learning to clone - controlling humidity is critical.

Mist the inside of your dome before even adding the cuttings, foliar feed them twice a day, and minimize the time the top is off. Under 30 seconds at a time is my goal.

Then after a few days start to open the vents a bit every day

3 Likes

I like the ease of a bubble cloner .

8 Likes

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:

I’m gonna recommission my old Aerogarden I used for basil for exactly this purpose.

2 Likes

Peat pod in a big ziplock under dim light is a lazy way to do it if you don’t have a lot of cuts to root.

2 Likes

For now fish isolation tank and tupperware lid in cup of water and LED light on top humidity 77% temperature 78 degrees and it’s not anything fancy but it’s what I had on hand and thanks so much for all your info and advise it’s very appreciated happy growing n rooting The Doc

4 Likes

Growing in soil I have extremely good results with clone x and root riot cubes. Placing in a mondo humidity dome with the 72 count cell flat. They sit under an 18 watt led seedling light. I feed only water 6ml every 2 days with the occasionally VAM mycorrhizal innoculant mixed in. 1 foliage misting a day to keep the dome moist but now it’s not as important as my clone quarantine area is kept at 80% humidity.When the roots look like this I drop them into solo cups of starter soil with more mycorrhizal inoculated.

The most important part of getting into taking in cuts from other people is implementing your IPM and quarantine plan. Treat every single cut you take in as diseased and bug infested. Doesn’t matter where they come from or who. I have had cuts that came from tissue culture that by the time they made it to me had PM.

Sanitize all new material as soon as it comes in. I’ve used zerotol and insecticidal oil dunks for this but it can beat up the plants. I’m now doing full clone dunks in sulfur water and insecticidal soap an it seems much less damaging on cuttings that are already stressed by the trip in the mail. Once you get comfortable enough with the cloneing process you can just take in slips/cuttings which ship well and you don’t have to worry about hidden pathogens and bugs inside the rock wool/clone cubes.

Have a separate area to keep new cuts for up to 4 weeks to keep an eye out for issues. If a cutting comes in with a spider mite egg in it, you won’t see any problems for the first two weeks.

Maintain hygiene protocols between the quarantine area and your grow. Wash yourself hands thoroughly after working with new plants before working in your main grow. Ideally you would shower. Try to not share tools between the two areas.

One final recommendation, is where people run into issues with transplanting starter plugs into soil is they leave a pocket of air in the new root zone. The roots on the root riot cubes grow in a small dome that is filled with air, if this area isn’t filled the roots dry out and die stunting the plant at transplant. I make a small valley in the soil to place the riot rooter in and flood it with water till the soil turns to mud and then place the plug in.

Good luck!! :+1:

7 Likes

Along same lines I am curious where people find best results of cutting stem. At a node or 1/4” below or more or ? How close to the node do you guys cut? I have been struggling greatly of late but think my mistake was overdoing rooting compound’s. Used to be I used 50/50 tap/RO water and dip in Clonex for rapid rooters but lately used dipngrow then clonex followed by dip in rooting powder. Way overkill and that’s not a pun. Going back to water and Clonex and I had almost 100% success rate back then. Now I’m having terrible results plus my bonsai moms are really not looking good and getting worse because my dumbass overfed them. Temporarily up potted to try and save a few of them. Pissed off at myself because for several years I’d have great moms and easy rooting cuts. KISS is what I strayed from.

1 Like

Here is my mini cloner at 16 days. Compared to using just water in a glass or using jiffy pots, this is way faster.

6 Likes

It doesn’t take/cost much to make your own cloner folks…any item that can hold water can be made into a cheap ass cloner, you just need air pump, air hose/stone and all available at Walmart for under $15 or cheaper…

My no dome rockwool method…

3 Likes

As of now my method is make sure I have at least two to three nodes.
I make a 45 degree cut along the third or second node depending on how many nodes, dip in water then rooting hormone and place in to a worm casting/promix/Perlite soil mix. I use 8oz plastic cups and put them into the clone dome for 9 to 14 days give or take. Spray with water once or twice a day for a few days then spray at least once a day after that. I may try some of the other methods out there, but this works well for me right now.

2 Likes

My method has worked for me for quite a while.
I moisten some happy frog soil and put in some clear solo cups that I have prepped with three or four holes in the bottom. Take my clipping, cut the root tip at a 45. Dip in water, then in rooting hormone. Then into the soil about 2 inches deep or so. Water it in a tad bit. The soil is already moist. Then I take a ziplock bag over then entire thing and seal one side of it. Then I put the clear cup into a colored cup. The idea is for the colored cup to catch any possible water runoff. The clear, so I can monitor root development. When the roots start coming out the holes in the clear cup, that is when they get transplanted into bigger pots. I get close to 100% like this.

2 Likes

Good luck with your attempt at cloning ! I use rapid routers and clonex gel, I find cutting the stem at a 45° angle about a quarter of an inch below the node and scrap off a little of the bark so to speak .
Then let it sit in water at least 20 minutes this helps to keep the capillaries opened and allowing intake of water, then dip in clonex place in rooters
Place clipping under a dome. I also use a heat matt they love it humid and warm!

If you have peat moss ,coco, perlite,or used soil will also work well !

A spray bottle is your best friend spray 2x a day in the beginning but don’t over do it

Paps

2 Likes