Cloning with Coco - 'California Cups'

Welcome to the dark side! :imp::metal:

2 Likes

Funny, I start all my seeds in coco, but use Rapid Rooters to clone with. I need to take some cuts soon, I shall try them in the coco like my seeds. Rapid Rooters typically take me from 10-15 days to see roots sticking out of them.

2 Likes

I’ve been starting seeds in coco lately too and it works great for sure. Always wanted to try rapid rooters but was too cheap to get some haha.

Coco has been amazing for me so far for everything, I wish I would have switched sooner!

3 Likes

I have zero issues cloning with the Rapid Rooters…other than their price tag! The coco cost me $2.48 at Home Depot and makes 16 pounds worth!!! I use it in the seed starting trays now, and since using it have not had any germ rates below 95 %…except the SSDD F2’s that refuse to pop for me!!!

Why not fill my seed starter tray with that coco and try it…would love to stop spending $$ on RR’s !!! Think I will try this next time I take some cuts.

5 Likes

I can’t remember who I was telling but a pack of about 100 “seed starter trays” is only about £3 and the coco to fill that 100 is probably about £1 worth. The reason I use straight coco for cloning was the simplicity. If you grow in coco then you have a good idea of how long it takes for it to dry out so you’ve got a good idea of how moist it is at all times so you’re not drowning anything or killing anything.

Plus rapid rooters here in England are like £10 for I think 50-100 which yeh it’ll last a while but for the cost it’s cheaper to use starter trays and plain coco it works just as good honestly.

4 Likes

Ya I’m in Canada and rapid rooters are $$$ here (like literally everything else lol). Coco is nice too because I can root in a solo cup and veg a plant for weeks in there without transplanting, makes for some great roots and keeps things simple.

4 Likes

Haha that’s exactly what I do now. Solo cups for a few weeks from seed then transplant to final homes. I started off using the little 0.5L pots but those are actually more expensive than solo cups and I find them flimsy as well like the sides split easily while popping them out which ya also don’t tend to get from the solo cups.

Also stand corrected RRs here are £19 for 100 pmsl.

I think after you’ve clones a bunch of times without wanting to spend on pumps an shit for aero cloners an stuff you just find what works and usually simplicity is key IMHO. :fist_right:

4 Likes

LMAO!!! SO TRUE!!! My $$$$ Name Brand 30 and 60 hole “Cloner’s” now sit in my closet. Who needs the noise, the mess, the space it takes up. The RR’s and a dome tray work just as well, and sometimes even better. Live n learn .

4 Likes

I’ve been wanting to look into cloning in coco. I just toss my cuts in a cup of water and wait a week or more but I think id like them sitting in coco right from the start.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing I’ve got everything to try this I know this will work

1 Like

Cloners in the closet for sale by chance? More info please .

3 Likes

Sure, would sell them

1 Like

Send me a message with what they are and a price have a buddy wanting them also location might be useful to determine shipping costs ! Thanks shiska

1 Like

@beacher great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

How wet is your coco inititally when you put the clones in? I don’t clone too much, but when I do, I think that’s the part I’m screwing up… I can’t get anything to root in under 3-4 weeks, even in a bubble cloner. Most things rot or die by then.

9 Likes

Home De Pot sells bricked coco now?! It was cheap to begin with but $3/16 gallons is choice. Is it that Black Magic brand I been seeing there?

2 Likes

I water the cups until a bit of runoff from the bottom, then shake em a few times to get any extra drops out and that’s it. I generally don’t have to water them again until they’ve been rooted for 3-5 days or so.

7 Likes

My usual cloning technique is pretty similar but with smaller rockwool or peat pucks. I gave yours a try and I really like it!
I think a few days faster, and with the bigger medium I’m getting more roots. They looked healthier and didn’t flinch when I took them out of the humidity done.
Thanks @beacher

2 Likes

I dont use coco but this is an excellent tutorial. Especially for a novice cloner like myself. Thanks for the knxlegde

2 Likes

That’s awesome, I’m glad it worked for ya! I was also happy with the speed, but even more so by the seamless transition when taking the dome off. I have no idea why that is, but who cares lol

@Kingkush312 thanks, I’ve grown for years and still wasn’t the best at cloning…its nice to finally have something simple that works so well

1 Like

h好棒👍我是一个新人看了大家的留言真的好棒

6 Likes