(complete) OGer, the Encore

Pollen Collection and Storage

Let me start with this.

Humidity/moisture is ‘pollen kryptonite’.

It sounds ‘dramatic’ but this gives us a valuable tool for pollen handling and ‘decontamination’. To implement this, a ‘dollar store’ sprayer set to misting and plain water takes care of that job - superbly.

Researching the ‘interwebs’ led to studies going back to the 1950’s discussing pollen storage & preservation. These studies had a common thread circling around humidity and temperature.
Properly prepared pollen (that’s an alliteration – you know, bonus points… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) demonstrably lasts longer at cooler temperatures.
Frozen being best for longest term storage. For our purposes, the ‘close to freezing’ temperatures of the typical refrigerator should do for short/medium term (up to 6+ months).

Last year, I collected pollen, sieved out the garbage (male flowers etc) and mixed 1:10 with toasted flour and this was immediately used to great affect.

I have since noticed an increase in pollen swapping among members here and that led to this year’s side project.

My goal is to desiccate (dry) the pollen, package and then vacuum seal.
To do this, I’m going to package the pollen in a small paper ‘coin envelopes’ and condition them in the drying box (air tight box with desiccant pack) for 72 hours. Then heat seal that envelope in a vacuum bag…

To test my protocol…

Some of these vacuum sealed packets will be stored with my bean collection (in the fridge) and some in my freezer (long term testing).
…I’ll be chucking test pollen for years… Hopefully with a little help from you folks!

Pollen collection

The males have been manifolded and stripped of most leaves as they get in the way…

I’m using a sheet of paper to collect the pollen, then cleaning out the male flowers.
{Bristol board would probably be an improvement over the paper}

Conditioning

I secured a gasketed plastic ammo box and a desiccant pack this fall to condition the pollen for storage and preservation.

Tests showed that I could achieve 23% RH (the external RH was 60%).

Allowing 3~4 days to achieve equilibrium I will then vacuum pack and store.

Cheers
G

48 Likes