Closing the Shark's Tank and Political category

Those topics are archived in a “Garbage can” category (not open for new posts). That’s basically a graveyard for inappropriate topics (formerly called Shark’s Tank)

2 Likes

Exactly. We had that ideal of a forum open to any view or opinion. Then the reality came. Endless fights that ended up in #garbage-can. The decision to close the Tank was from Aug 2020 when the most heated covid discussions took place.

3 Likes

What’s the standard for an inappropriate topic though? Is this outlined anywhere? Maybe it is documented, but if not, that’ll end a lot of debate on the free speech subject, or, at least bring virtue to deleting posts or labeling them offensive.

2 Likes

I can recommend reading our FAQ, TOS and also About topic for each category you are posting in (e.g. About the Smoker's Lounge category)

Basically all categories are subject-focused. Only #smokers-lounge is more general, with broader scope. As a rule of thumb, any topic should be connected to cannabis somehow (it’s cannabis/growing board after all).

7 Likes

I’ve read it, but my point is you’re leaving the subjective door wide open. What offends some, won’t offend others. Imo there will always be a merry-go-round with the “what’s free speech and offensive” debate unless there are more specific guidelines. I’ve seen posts deleted by mods that imo don’t fall in those categories. Your house, so no disrespect, but you can’t be surprised these hot button topics come up and then ppl get upset when either A) it doesn’t have to do with cannabis, or B) they just don’t agree and get offended.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:
What’s the old adage again?

No politics and religion at the diner table.

Og is our dining table haha

And to me weed really tones down the differences of opinion. “I can’t stand his views, but at least he can grow some mean weed” lol

12 Likes

That’s right. Or, I don’t agree, and I also don’t have to read every post, nor comment on them. Keep it moving if you don’t like it. C’est la vie.

There’s also a handy mute feature on this site which can work wonders.

3 Likes

I wish there was one in real life.

There is the right to free speech and the responsibility to not be an asshole IMO

10 Likes

100% and I agree wholeheartedly with the “no ad hominem attacks” outlined in the FAQ. Nothing should become personal here especially when the other person has literally never wronged you. It’s important to be polite and respectful, even on the internet.

5 Likes

Well yes of course… I for one can appreciate the differing views, the one thing that sculps a person’s reality. But as you probably know very few can discuss these subjects calmly… to much finger pointing, insults and unhinged emotions…

The day we learn to have a certain detachment to these things will be the day we can openly discuss them :wink:

5 Likes

Cheers!

More characters.

2 Likes

People who shout “my rights my rights my rights” never talk about responsibilities which I think is quite odd and facile.

12 Likes

Common courtesy and common sense aren’t so common. That’s is for certain haha.

7 Likes

If this is the standard, that’s cool. However, you have a lot of topics to clean up to make this valid.

4 Likes

God given, but created by, and written down by man? Was that like the 11th commandment on the third slab that Moses dropped and broke??

And. to keep things light. (and because I’m pleasantly baked), would that then make Moses, THE original censor? hmmmm…

1 Like

Yes, that is why in grow-related (narrow subject) categories we are stricter and off-topic is by default moderated / removed / edited. It should be flagged by the OP (if it is journal topic) or anyone (if it is general knowledge/theory topic). Flag is then adjudicated by mods.

On the contrary, in non-growing category (the Lounge) we follow it more loosely and try to by default allow anything that follows basic netiquette (be kind and tolerant). If it turns into flame, hate speech, trolling, etc. is then removed (user flags really help on this).

The meme topic and anything else that is seen as provocative is kind of 3rd category. We remove basically anything that is flagged by default, just to prevent further escalation and flame.

5 Likes

Right on and I’m following. I misunderstood and took that as non-cannabis topics are prohibited. Personally, I like that there are a variety of thread topics as it can help you get to know folks better. Sadly, it can also stir the pot. Appreciate the dialogue and stay safe :handshake:

2 Likes

There was a Black Mirror episode about that specific feature. Real life mute. People you block appear as grey blobs and sounds they make are muffled.

Shit was terrifying. But I guess that’s the point.

I like free speech but not wanting your site to host truly free speech is a no-brainer.

Site will be overrun with Nazis and incels in a week like 4chan if you do.

7 Likes

Maybe I should just keep a pad of restraining orders in my pocket instead. Even more effective.

I only watched the episode with the memory chip which was pretty good too.

2 Likes

I stayed out of this topic but now that it has moved here I figure I will say something. I hear about free speech and it always make me cringe a little. The reason being if you examine it you find a rabbit hole full of contradictions. While free speech is very important it needs at least some structure. The fact is that we live in a society so all must compromise. Those who feel they have absolute rights to say or do whatever they want tend to be selfish and self centered people. These people do not make a good society but rather cause many of the problems.

I guess the big issue is what is acceptable and who get’s to decide. Should a person have the right to say they agree or disagree with a certain thing or give their opinion, sure they should. Should they be able to do that anywhere and any time they feel like it, I don’t feel they should. One issue is how folks affect others with the way they exercise their “rights”. Let’s say for example there is a group of men that feel woman are all whores. Now I know that’s a pretty vulgar thing to say but it’s a good example. Should they have a right to feel that way? Yes. Should others have a right to feel they are wrong? Yes. Now let’s say that same group stood outside your mothers work and every day they all called her a whore as she came and went from her job. Now one could argue they are exercising free speech and that it should be ok but what about the poor woman being subjected to that every day? What about her rights to not have to hear such ignorant things that serve no purpose but to make her feel bad? Does she not count?

Another issue is that this is a global site. The constitution that folks speak of is for one country. It holds no water in other parts of the world. So does the whole world have to follow a document written for one country? Go to many parts of the world and say the wrong thing and you will find yourself in a deep dark hole. You will also find that what is considered morally acceptable by some will not be by others. Which group has the right to do what they want? Of course all will say their group but that’s just not possible. Sometimes people just have to give in as there is no way for all to have their way, it’s just not possible. If one wants to live around others than compromises or sacrifices must be made for the greater good.

In the end Overgrow is a private site run by individuals who make rules. If one does not like the way things are they have the right to not come here. I find it pretty open as sites go and it feels to me like when they move or delete topics it’s to prevent discourse. Now that will anger some who have their stuff removed feeling it should be acceptable but will also make some happy who are offended by the content and feel it’s unacceptable. Offensive content is subjective and as such we must rely on those put in control to decide. There will always be those who disagree with a decision, it’s just one of the joys of having multiple opinions but that is why some are put in charge to use their judgement for such things. Sometimes that works out for you and sometimes for someone else, it’s just the reality of a group environment.

Hey all, I know this reads like a book but I think to sum it I will just say that we need to respect one another, especially when we disagree. We know some topics are hot and lead to trouble as we are all grown ups and have seen it before. We all need to realize that what we say or do affects more than just us. We should understand that since we are in a group and our actions affect others that we have a responsibility to think about that and conduct ourselves in such a way as to not negatively affect those around us. People can always take such things to PM and rant all they like without affecting those around them so even on a grow site, there is an avenue that can be followed to get to your goal. This how we live at peace with those around us, by being respectful of each other and on occasion perhaps not posting or saying something that we know others may get upset over. Ok, going to step away from my keyboard, have a great day all.

15 Likes