Coffin_Dodger's Ceiling Dodging Second Grow

Me? Never heard of it except for brokering contraband or partitioning gardens. Hahah. What is?
The username is from my nickname from days in metal and punk bands and later tattooing. I’ve almost died, a lot. In some clever ways, at that. Just my luck hahah

Coffin_Dodger
:ghost: :raccoon:

1 Like

Nice garden! We’re planning on scrogging next run or the one after. How much space do you keep between your medium and net?

Edit: Yeah, the system is definitely a beast! How long have you been using yours? Anything to look out for?
Coffin_Dodger

1 Like

Haha oh dang. I realized that it was just a normal term after I asked it! Fences is a band/musician (sad boy whiny shit haha), and the dude has “Coffin Dodger” as a belly rocker, so I’ve seen people with that as their username just because they were a fan of his! Definitely a rad nickname though. Hard to kill haha

1 Like

Idk maybe a foot high on a 3 foot plant. Scrog is an art I still haven’t mastered even though I’ve pretty much used one on every run(only 4-5 total). For instance this time I learned with a second layer of net for me at least I should have defoliated harder between the two screens or even lollipop up to the top screen. Great run anyway. Only my first so far so not a ton of tips except to watch reservoir temp. I got really bad root rot right off the rip only 74°. Saved em and crushed it but I’ll only run hydro in winter now.

2 Likes

@Pigeonman has a beautifully documented journal with this rdwc system or maybe a diy clone of it. I poured over it during my run for pointers. Just search pink cookies and UK cheese

2 Likes

@BudLarfy thanks for the memberberries!!!

@Coffin_Dodger here you go!

2 Likes

Knock the dust.off that thing holmes!

1 Like

Heyhey, everyone! Happy “weekend!” I work 4/10, so I can really only keep up well Sunday-Wednesday mornings. Thanks for all the love, and for helping take the plunge into bending these girls quite a bit. Feeling better about seeing this through a harvest.
We bent all the branches that could, nearly snapped the ones that didn’t want to, and got things at least off of the light. :fearful:
Here’s a couple new shots of the bent on itself, layered canopy we have now.

We were relieved to see even the most dramatic bend/breaks springing back toward the light within 12 hours. You can see some of that exhibited here. Not the best shot, but this branch comes in out of frame and headed down from the right, then swoops happily back up to it’s terminus bud sites. Not the best circumstances to be in, for sure, but this has given us EVEN more to marvel at with these plants.

Many of the lowers have sprung up in the aftermath, as you can see. Most of them look very immature still, now coming to the end of week four in flower, but it gives us hope.
Unfortunately, some of the top most buds have seen a bit too much light, from what we can tell, and are presenting more like this:

There wasn’t much actual burning, and we have been able to remove those leaves, but some “light-poisoned” looking ones remain. While they look poorly, they seem very much alive. Do they look like they may pose a problem?

All in all, we’re happy for the experience, the lessons learned, and the new technique unlocked. Hahaha. Thanks again to anyone following and giving support while we troubleshoot this one.
One more shot of one of the happier looking baby buds:

Stay up, y’all!

Coffin_Dodger

4 Likes

Great run, @Pigeonman! Looking forward to keeping at it with this RDWC, and damn glad to know it comes so highly recommended. Been through a couple of your journals now, and love what you’re doing outside. Looking forward to diversifying and some outdoor veggies and berries down the road, ourselves!
Coffin_Dodger

4 Likes

Hey, everybody!
Sorry for the late update, the world outside our garden keeps getting in the way. Ain’t that just how it goes.

The remaining girls (we culled the runt) all seem to be responding to the supercropping very well, as late as it was.

Here’s the whole mess from the front at 35 days flowering.

We’ve been seeing some pretty heavy downward pH swings, but based on what we’ve seen so far, that doesn’t seem too far out of the norm at this stage. As of the feeding a day or so ago, we’ve begun weening back on nutes, though we’re staying where we’ve been with our additives (Inoculant, silicate, and CalMag.) We’ve backed down from an EC of about 2.7 to almost 2 exactly, following General Hydroponics “aggressive” feed schedule, as it says on the tin. We settled on that method for feeding after last run, where we based our calculations on some inaccurate advice and estimates, and had been feeding at about twice what we are now. Those plants managed to turn out anyway, but these seem much happier for a lower, but more consistant feed. In our first run, we typically gave the girls a cool-down flush and let them have just tap water for a day after draining and refilling. We are not doing that this round, and are feeding at the same time as we drain and refill, once a week.

Some canopy shots of the too-tall-current run:

Although we still saw some last desperate stretches after the cull and supercropping, and there are some buds a bit closer to the light than we’d like, over all, we seem to have made a recovery, and the mid-canopy is exploding in response these last two weeks or so.
Here are some of those budsites.

Both cultivars have heavily fruity sweet overtones, the ones in back have light, cleaner-chem undertones that have us very excited to see what we come out with.

Thanks again to all for being so welcoming, helping drum up confidence, and recommending we supercrop. Hope everyone’s runs are doing great, and y’all are having a good week.

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger

2 Likes

Hey, everyone!
Thanks again to anyone keeping up with this mini-diary/detailed trouble shoot. There’s hope on the horizon, yet!
We pulled the trigger around the same time we flipped to flower, and put in an order for a Cannatrol, which arrived right on time, considering the back-log they’re dealing with.
Now that it is an option, we are considering staggering the harvest of this run. Would it be a good idea to take the highest buds on schedule and allow the remainder of the new canopy and lowers to catch up and mature?
Thanks for any advice or anecdotes anyone may have with staggering a too-tall crop to make the most of recovering from the mistake!

More pictures to come with a proper update tonight!

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger

Heyhey, everyone!
Hope y’all are good and safe. Been a long weekend outside the garden, but a pretty hopeful and relaxing one in it.
We are continuing the aggressive feed schedule per the GH Trio instructions, but now plan on repeating this week (Feeding week 6 schedule through 7, 8, 9…) a few times, to allow for a staggered harvest. We plan on making the first chops in the first few days of August, but see no reason not to only take a few levels of them down, and allow some of the lowers to mature quite a bit more.
Here’s some light-stressed but otherwise alright canopy fun for ya:

Here’re some of the smaller, less exposed top bud sites:

Some of those hopeful lowers we’re gonna try and push for:

…and the whole front of the mess we brought on ourselves! hahaha

Ya’ grow and learn, eh?

Itching to test out the new Cannatrol on a dry cycle, anyway!
Any opinions on the level of hope for some of those lowers at this point? What would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice or anything else. Gotta keep it movin’ into the work week for now…

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost::raccoon:

2 Likes

Hey, everybody.

Hope y’all are well and holding up. Not much time to update this week, but it’s helping keep things routine. Hell of a day, with my partner having some procedures done just a couple hours after getting word that my step-mother died after being released after a surgery. Been a rough one.
Got an issue with AC Infinity UIS cables, so we’re running the oscillating fans a little harder than we had been, but the extra airflow in late flower is always a good thing. Been fighting a high humidity during their night cycles anyway, and it sounds like they plan on replacing the cable.

Averaging mid-50% during their days, and mid-60% RH during their nights. Don’t have a dehumidifier at the moment, but we do have an abundance of fans. VPD is usually around 1.4-1.5 in their days, and swings down to .8 or so during the nights.
EC is under 1, but we’re still feeding as though it were week 6 to let the lowers keep going when the canopy comes down in a few days. PPM around 900 on a .5 scale.
PH has been swinging low and hard, and we’re buffering daily to keep it in line. After a feed, it swings from about 6 to nearly 4.9 in about twelve hours. We pump it back up slowly over the next few days, and it stabilizes about 72 hours after feeding to where we usually keep it, sliding gently around 5.7-6.2

Here’s the whole shee-bang from the front at day 100 (Flowering day 50)

With a heavy defoliation over the last few days, the lower and side branches have happily soaked up the light they’re finally getting, and though they’ll be small, they’re starting to look good. Staggering the harvest to allow for them to mature more is looking better and better.
Here’s a few shots of the heavily supercropped, inches from the light canopy:

And the same from the back:

And some random bud-shots:

The whole thing from the back:

And a few shots from day 101 (51F)

Here’s to today being better, and as always, any advice or anything of the sort is welcomed.
Thanks again,

Coffin_Dodger

3 Likes

The garden looks great. With the plants that close together, how will you control mold as the buds begin to put on size?

1 Like

Hey, Everybody!

Not much time to write this week, and no new pictures today, but there should be plenty tomorrow.
The supercropped canopy is looking plenty ready to take, and we’re sticking to the breeder’s recommended flowering time for this run, to take notes on it, and hopefully apply that to a better timed harvest if/when we run these cultivars again. Next time will definitely have about half the veg time. hahaha :no_mouth: :roll_eyes: :sweat_smile:
Going to be doing a partial harvest tomorrow night, and either taking the canopy down by about half or filling the new Cannatrol to capacity, whichever happens first.
As far as the spacing and the concern for mold, @Tejas, we’ve been relying on keeping things as clean as we can and not getting anywhere near over-ripe. Like I said, unfortunately we don’t have a dehumidifier, but the RH has stayed fairly well in range for safety on that front.
Our last or second-to-last feed was tonight, and ended with a PPM dropped down to about 730 (.5 scale) We will repeat this until we decide to take the last of the plants, in the second partial harvest.
In other news, contacting AC Infinity about our S6 fans not playing well with the Controller 69 has ended with them shipping out two new fans, due here by the 7th, and then sending the old ones back. Great customer service, as per usual from that team.
We’ll be posting pictures of harvest and wet-trimming tomorrow! Hope all of you are doing great and thanks again to anyone watching, or any advice or questions you may have.
Happy seventh birthday, Overgrow!

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger

1 Like

Hey, hey, folks!

Hope everyone is well and y’all are tending happy gardens today! I took a much needed day off for my partner’s birthday, and it was great to focus on all the good things for a while.
We got to work right when the lights came up at 6PM, and started with anything that had been heavily supercropped last month.
With all those big branches out of the way, we were able to carefully work through the jungle and pull out a few more mature looking lengths.
We wet trimmed them, and then hung them as we worked, before reaching a point where we felt much happier with the height of the newly re-established canopy, and within a dozen grams of the Cannatrol’s recommended maximum load.
After a break, we bucked the wet-trimmed buds and filled the Cannatrol with 711 (wet) grams.

…and the tent still looks full…
Here’s one of the smaller big-girl buds. I’m 6’3" with lanky hands for scale. Almost everything we took last night is super dense, and thankfully we saw no sign of mold or rot.

Second shot here is of about 1/2 of what we took in the partial harvest. It’s a terrible picture, but I’ll bother my partner in the next couple days for better shots before the next update.
We’ve got a lot of major floppers left in there, and they just gotta make it through 4 days of dry, 4 days of cure, and by that point, should be just about ready to bring the rest down.
Cannatrol is a lifesaver on this side of things so far!

And, to prevent this silliness in future runs, I threw together this:

It’s currently got this set of legs set to keep the screen about 8 or 8.5 inches off the tops of our 13 gallon buckets.

Thanks again for anyone paying attention, any advice, questions, or constructive criticism remains most welcome.

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger

2 Likes

Long week, and sorry to say I forgot to grab any pictures. Next week I should have some finished budshots and pictures from the second round of the harvest.
The lowers are all getting nice and dense, and although a lot of them will be getting frozen for use in bubble-hash and decarbed for edibles, even the lowest rival some of our “good” bud left from last run. Nice and frosty, with one strain having a decent amount of purpling, and a sweet, floral nose and taste with just a hint of chem underlying. The cultivar with two plants remaining (largely appear to be roughly the same pheno) is also a bit sweet on the top, with the flavor developing into a sour-buttery creaminess with just a bit of peppery spice on the back-end.
All three have been in the Cannatrol for now 5 days, one day into curing, and samples taken at the end of the 4-day dry cycle were very impressive. That machine is a beast! The difference in quality between this and our first run is truly remarkable, and all we had to do was wet the sponge a couple times and empty a little tray once or twice a day.
The AC Infinity S6 fan replacements arrived yesterday, and I managed to dig the defective ones out of there to ship back to ACI, who have been awesome through the whole customer service back-and-forth. We’ll be watching them to make sure they play well with our controller 69, but have every reason to keep recommending their gear.
Hope everyone else is having a great day, and tending happy plants. Thanks again to anyone keeping up with this little troubleshooter journal, and we’re looking forward to starting a proper diary with the next run, in late August/early September. We’ll for sure be running a scrog, and have Dr. Seedsman 30:1 CBD fems on deck for 2 or three of our plant sites.
As always, any questions, comments, or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger

2 Likes

Hey there, everyone!
Hope you’re all well and tending happy gardens. The last of the staggered harvest was this week, and while we’re exhausted, we are damn glad for the results.
We started Sunday night, with taking the bulk of the prime buds left on the loner cultivar, and many of the top colas on the two strain of which we had two plants.
Here’s a shot from the front just before that started:

And here’s the first night’s work, which yielded an even 1 Kg wet weight to max out the capacity of the Cannatrol. We had some choices to make at that point, and selected our best for the machine dry/cure, and anything else that had already been wet trimmed and bucked got frozen for hash practice and decarbing for practice making edibles later on.
Mid 15-hour wet-trim/chop jail pot shot:

The buds from our biggest girl, the loner, are all a striking lime and dark purple color expression, with much more green and orange (though still some purpling) on the other two. The strains are related, so that stands to reason.
All told, we still have two racks and a few hangers of (mostly) the lowest bud sites hang drying in the tent/lung room. The enviroment isn’t the best for it, sitting at roughly 70 degrees Fahrenheit and mid-to-upper 50% RH, but we’ll be putting what’s in the Cannatrol into grove bags in after 6 more days, and then bucking what has been hanging and moving it to finish in the Cannatrol as filler fodder for whatever we see fit.
The very first chop went into the machine at 711 wet grams, and gave us a 23.7% overall dried, finished return.
We expect to have 237 grams from the current cycle, based on that, which will give us a total top-shelf yield of 14 and a half ounces. No guessing on the stuff hang drying, though I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another 5 or 7 ounces there.
In addition, we froze 387 grams of mostly trimmed wet bud and 1184 grams of sugar leaf/trim.

Thanks again to everyone for answering the initial troubleshooting question, and anyone who stuck around and watched til the end. We’re loving the smoke so far, and stoked to get cleaned up and reset for our next grow, when we’ll be starting a proper journal thread for our grows from here on out.
Here’s some 120 day (70F) trich and trunk money shots to wrap up!

Catch you all there, and til then, Stay Up!

Coffin_Dodger

4 Likes

A very nice job and return on your second grow. Looking forward to your next grow.

2 Likes

how is ure Dr seedsman coming along