Coffweed Attempts x4 GDP, 2 KSS, 1 Frankenstein, and 3 DoMeFast Autos in a 4x4

My very first plant is still in progress, a Maui Wowie bagseed. It’s about a week into flower. With another tent coming soon, it’s time to start my first ordered seeds, some GDP from Homegrown Cannabis Co.

I’m growing two in Mother Earth Groundswell and two in Build A Soil Light. I’ll probably be adding some things here and there but all will be documented here. Aiming for 3gal pots (maaaaaybe 5gal?).

Now, why I only decided to germ two seeds in a wet paper towel and just pop the other two into hydrated Groundswell I’m not 100%. We’ll see how it goes and keep it documented for science. The two paper towel seeds germinnated nicely and I got them into some Build A Soil solo cups. I feel like I fumbled a little getting the taproot down and the little seed head up, but hopefully they’ll take! I’m still waiting for a sign of life from the other two. It’s only been a few days.

I’m excited to fail fast and learn from my mistakes as I grow into growing and this community! Thanks for having me y’all.

17 Likes

Welcome to OverGrow, Coffweed. How did you like germinating in the paper towel compared to directly sowing into soil? I also came from the world of mycology, though I found cultivating Cannabis to be more fun and engaging.

3 Likes

The wet paper towel method worked very well! I feel more hopeful that those little gals will sprout up out of the solo cups than I currently feel hopeful about the MEGroundswell finding their way.

Here’s to hoping all four survive the germ/seedling phase!

2 Likes

How’s it going @Coffweed I’ve grown my share of magic too!. Hope you love og. It’s the best site around for us growers. This place will become fam. Also, I’ve been using paper towel method exclusively for 25 years works well.

2 Likes

I think I’m a fan of the towel. I mean, never forget to bring a (paper)towel, right?

We’ve got some movement!

8 Likes

It’s the most important rule.

2 Likes

All four seeds have sprouted! Now we try not to inadvertently murder them.

-I raised the Super Sprouter up closer to the fluorescent lights on my shelf (mostly I use that shelf for mushroom stuff).
-Mostly leaving it the fuck alone! The plan is to let them just do their thing for a day or two more. If it looks dry I might water them but I’m paranoid of over-watering so am aiming towards dryer.

I have a set of T5 LED Veg lights. At what point should I get them under those, and at that point, as they’re not a dim-able light, what height should I have it at (worried about stretch), and also should I pop a few of the T5s out so it’s only running 2 instead of 4?

As per usual I’m already overthinking needing nutes or this or that (there are SO MANY THIS OR THATs). I am just guessing that the plants in the Build A Soil will need much less than the plants in the Groundswell, but I guess time will tell.

It’s a bit early but already debating between 3 or 5gal pots once the solos are ready for a transplant – I’d like to only transplant once. Unless of course it really helps to up-pot to 3 and then again to 5.

5 Likes

Raised it a bit higher as they’re stretching out. Took it down to one light. Still just letting it chill under the cheap T5s on the mush shelf. Some seeds still stuck to the sprouts. Waiting.

5 Likes

The stretch is real. Here’s to hoping it’s not a problem.
-Did some homework on the stretch – I can tell I want a PPFD meter eventually but can’t spring for it right now.
-I decided to move the seedlings under a higher quality light with some T5 LEDs (“veg” lights). I think I’ll just run the closet perpetually on a 20/4 light cycle. The tent in the closet is light sealed so all should be well. That way I can run clones, start seedlings, or I guess run an auto but I’m unsure how well the humidity would work out for it.
-Went with 18" away and will adjust tomorrow if needed. They’re almost outgrowing the dome so I’ll probably move them into a “hydration chamber” (a tote with holes in it, possibly a riser with water in the bottom as well to evaporate and make it rather moist).

Soonish, not quite yet though, my plan is to move these into 5gal pots and water very carefully and sparingly at first as I’m sure 5gal will be a little big but also their final size. For science, I’ll run one of each soil into a 3gal pot and up-pot as I go.

I do plan on adding Root Wise (pictured on shelf) as a drench to all of them eventually and will detail my dosage.

These are going to ultimately go into a 4x4 tent with 400W of VivoSun lighting. Need to work a bit to afford the lights, so for now they’ll just get the 100W LED VEG (w/ UV) T5s in the AgroBrite ballast. Then they’ll get 200W, and by mid/end veg they’ll get the last 200W. If I kept my job in tech I wouldn’t have the affordability problems, but my sanity seemed a better bargain.

5 Likes

Worked more than I thought and ordered the first of two 200W lights :).

I am definitely paranoid and overthinking the seedling stretch/trying not to kill these things. I need to step away from the vehicle, lol.

At this point, they got a few teaspoons of water this morning and a few teaspoons more this evening. I added some MEG soil to cups 2 and 3. Cups 0 and 1 with the Build A Soil Light just got a little water.

Going to leave them tf alone for a bit.

5 Likes

Popped two Kyle’s Sweet Island seeds from Homegrown Cannabis Co in some Build A Soil Light, the GDP is moving along, I’m a little worried but trying to keep them up!

6 Likes

The Kyles Sweet Island seeds I sowed in some Build A Soil Light have sprouted up! The rest of the GDP plants seem to be doing okay.

In a few days I’ll move them over to a tent but it still seems a little early for that. They’re hitting up close to the roof of the humidity dome though and I might need to move them into a higher ceiling humidity thing-a-ma-bob that I’ll put together with a humidity chamber used for mushrooms (tote with ezdial hole patterns, water in the bottom, and a rack to keep the solo cups out of the water).

They were getting watered with teaspoons of a microbe complete and big six mix from Rootwise and BuildASoil but as I’ve heard those mixes should be used right away and not sit out I’m trashing the remainder of that gallon jug and going back to just filtered or distilled pH tested water.

You can really see the difference of dry and hydrated Build A Soil (the four cups on the left). I’m still a bit nervous about the Mother Earth Groundswell cups. They’re much more dense — I didn’t add any perlite or anything to the MEG bags. I’m also not as used to what they look like dry. Anyway. I don’t want them to dry out but am aiming for the dryer side of life with my watering mindset currently.

That jar is a slightly bacterial mushroom jar as a c02 experiment.

4 Likes

New tent should be coming in pieces today and tomorrow. I’ve been stuck at home with Covid (lame). Might have the energy tomorrow to put things together.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…these got a few teaspoons of water after the picture.

5 Likes

New tent is here. I’m so sick I can’t even move the damn boxes — my roommates had to help take it inside.

Hoping to be back to it soon. Covid sucks.

2 Likes

Is this stretch too much? Do I need a little toothpick set up here? Seems too early to transplant for the two on the left (Kyle’s Sweet Island) and probably a little too early for the right four GDP cups.

Still too sick to set the new tent up. Maybe tomorrow?

I feel like the lid is too short on this thing. Guessing that’s because it’s supposed to use those cubes I bought with it, lol. Which I will use soon! Anywho. Might have to move these to a hydration chamber tomorrow.

5 Likes

Moved them to a humidity chamber for higher headroom. Mush cultivation coming in useful!

The one is super lopsided and the two Kyle’s Sweet Island I’m a little worried about falling over. Maybe I’m overthinking it? Too soon to transplant I feel so just waiting.

Hopefully I’ll get the new tent set up tomorrow.

5 Likes

Worried about a few of these falling over so made some little makeshift cages.

Once I transplant I’ll be able to bury the stretch a bit but think I have a few days still until I can transplant these?

Going to be popping two more seeds tonight or tomorrow morning to add to this run for a total of eight plants.

6 Likes

Need to get the DoMeFast’s in there.

New tent day!! Overall I’m happy with it. Some very small light leaks coming out of a few zippers. Not surprised as I read about this in a few reviews. Miiight email VivoSun if I decide it’s worth it. Will probably just pop some tape on a few parts — not in a bright room so not too worried.

I’ll put the other light in tomorrow — working out current amp usage but think I’m in the clear still.

(Silly technical things and customer service blah — let’s grow some weed!)

A 4x4 sounds smaller than I imagined. It feels like a good amount of space. I’m pretty stoked.

Time to see how the lights / temps / humidity (etc) fall in place with this tent. It’s much closer to the AC than the 2.7x2.7.

Moved the plants into the tent and we’re off to the races!

Lowered the light after that picture was taken as well.

4 Likes

Woke up, and the solo cups were dryyyyy. Gave them some water using a teaspoon to get them all happy again. Put in the humidifier. (Also getting a de-hu for the lung room as I don’t want to humidify my home into mold) Set it to 65rh and the VivoSun app to trigger at 70rh.

5 Likes

The new tent is a bit more than half way through its first dark cycle. It definitely stays cooler than my other tent (not surprising given it’s in the same room as a powerful portable ac).

Soon it will have a dehumidifier in its lung room as well. On the other hand, the humidifier is working well in the tent. Only complaint is it’s hard as fuck to see the settings on the thing when the light is on and no remote operation.

I installed new intake ducting for it as well. It feels happy — one more light going in today when it wakes up.

Oh, I’ll need to edit the title as I just popped three DoMeFast auto seeds into a wet paper towel — so if all goes well, this is the final lineup for this tents run:
-Four GDP (Homegrown Cannabis Co) two in Build A Soil and two in Mother Earth Groundswell for comparison — the rest in BaS
-Two Kyles Sweet Island (Homegrown Cannabis Co)
-Three DoMeFast Autos (JP from right here at OG)

For a total of nine, my first real run outside of the bagseed Maui Wowie I managed to keep alive thus far. Here we go!

Oh, letting the humidity go a bit higher as it’s not super warm in here (60s). We shall see with the second light how heat and temps play.

4 Likes