"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right!"
Even at nearly 50 years old, I somehow forget these all important lessons passed down from wiser people.
I took a shortcut with my grow this time around. Usually I mix my own amended soil (peat moss, perlite, dolomite lime and EWC) and use GO nutes. Has worked perfectly and problem free.
This time I let laziness and haste get in the way - I bought a bag of "super soil" (Blue Mountain Organics). It hasn't played out too well. Little did I know that autos, in general, don't like hot soil. Also, since the soil is heavily amended I was cautious about the GO nutes and was only adding some CaMg and some epsom salts (because the plants had sure signs of Mg deficiency early on).
1 week of neglect didn't help the situation, of course. Now that they are flowering I have started adding some GO BioThrive Bloom and Bio Bud along with the CaMg and epsom. The plants are alive and growing, but I can just tell they aren't super healthy and happy like my previous grows.
So I took a shortcut and "fixed" something that wasn't "broke", and I have learned my lesson. Next time I am sticking with my original soil recipe and feeding schedule. Actually, next grow will be my first outdoor grow so it'll be completely different, but that's another story...