Some seeds blew my way

This is a few strains I’m running gifted by @Vagabond_Windy and since half my collection is, I’ll be adding a few strains to the list.

First we have these Space Monkey F2s with an abysmal germination rate. I’ll have to use these to hone my germination skills. I have 3 germinated about a week apart. One I placed in a solo cup, one in a one in a 1 gal fabric pot.

And I also have some Sour Diesel S1s about the same age as the space monkeys. 5 of them. 4 in a base soil mix in 1 gallon pots and the fifth…

Oh, it’s in a 10 gallon pot of super soil with spinach cover crop!

17 Likes

Hell yeah! If you can get those Space Monkeys F2 to pop then you can get anything to pop. I just don’t remember if I gave you my F2s or the ones I was gifted by someone else. If they’re mine, they survived me being incarcerated for 2 years and it was a last ditch effort to preserve something I liked a lot and I wasn’t sure if theyd be available in 2019.
The Sour Diesel S1 were a gift to me from Curious2Garden from RIU. She was given a Sour Diesel clone from Indacouch at Riu. They seem to enjoy the clone but I’m almost positive it’s not the real deal Sour.

How were the germination rates for those Sour Diesel S1?

5 Likes

Sour Diesel was pretty good, 5/8. That’s on par with my other germination attempts.

I think when I drop some more Space Monkey I’ll try sand paper in a pill bottle, seems the easiest method for scarification. I soaked these mfers 3 days! Usually over night is enough. Good practice!

4 Likes

Seems like you’re getting the hang of things. Happy to see you popping seeds, learning and sharing as you go. The world needs more growers to actually care about their medicine. Also excited to see the SD outside. I forgot I had those and since they’re s1 we’ll get females all around :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Space Monkey doing ok. Seems like once they actually germinate they’re pretty healthy.

Sour Diesel is doing good too- sister wants to start growing and it sounds like one of these seedlings will be moving. Be interested to see them grow side by side in different environments.

4 Likes

Sour Diesel, kind of stalled for a bit after topping them, maybe 1 month was too early? Either way they seem back into the swing of things.

Space Monkey… I don’t know man. The one is great, the other is runty. I’m hoping these will do well, I have a tent full of sativas, could use the diversity.

5 Likes

Kill the runt! Pop more :sunglasses:

1 Like

Already ahead of schedule, honestly. I need more space! I was going to do some construction to maybe get some space outside but the heat and cost of lumbar dissuaded that. Thinking it’s time to build a panel like yours and get some use out of my second tent.

1 Like

What’s on that the substrate? It’s peels from grains ? what’s purpose?

1 Like

Rice hulls, to act as mulch. It’s helped keep the soil consistently moist and no more gnats.

2 Likes

Here is the runt next to, other than this weird bit, a healthy Space Monkey.

Sour Diesel

The Sour Diesel all have this weird silver thing I have to read into. The one is growing despite that, while the other two are struggling. Leaves curling under in the soft bits, but the stems and veins are rigid as expected.

5 Likes

Sour Diesel

Space Monkey

4 Likes

I looked into this, was damn near convinced it was thrips. The silver tone is disappearing, and there are no newly effected leaves but the lower leaves remain weird. Going to ignore it for now, just keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Space Monkey, like 6 weeks old now? Not much excitement.

Sour Diesel is happy, the two smaller plants are recovering really well. One even sent a root through the bottom of the fabric pot. Guess I let too much water sit in the saucer when I water.

4 Likes

So we got moved into the smaller tent now, under my new 4 bulb T5HO… so far so meh. The plants are doing ok, but uh this fixture needs love. Loose connection to one half so sometimes the one half goes out and I come back to find the plants leaning. New bulbs would fix it but I plant to convert these to LED anyways.

But it gave me a thought anyways… so my ballast is set up like many, with two “hot” legs. So you can only power half the fixture if you chose. I am curious what the effect would be if say, you made a sunset effect. 6 hours one side, 6 hours both, 6 the other side. Maybe I’ll test that sometime.

Plants are getting a bit crowded, I don’t really want to up pot them until they show sex, I may prune them just so they don’t overrun each other. Space Monkey is in the back left, and the Sour Diesel is upfront.

2 Likes

Big Space Monkey got a little sad looking, it’s just dry. The tent has been a bit dry from heat, the light takes up almost the whole 2x4 cross-section of the tent and I haven’t figured out how to get air around it. Everyone else is doing great, except I had my first plant grow into the light… shit that was the Space Monkey. Well it looked ok Saturday and that was after the burn.

2 Likes

Day 4 of flower, most are showing pistols but some are ambiguous still.

2 Likes

Expect the Space Monkeys to take their time showing sex :+1:t3::sunglasses:

1 Like

I have one female, at least. I didn’t see calyx formation but I saw some pistols. The other one could totally go either way. Certainly way more bashful than my other strains.

1 Like

Day 12F, only one male. Larger Space Monkey unfortunately, but still have one female. Glad I didn’t cull the runt now!

4 Likes