Cola’s starting from scratch garden

You can always sell off your HPS once you get a new light, unless it’s the one on loan, I can’t remember properly lol.

1 Like

The ballast is on loan but the hps/tube etc is mine. Just borrowed a 600w blurple off my mate to start these off. Until I get a fan and filter anyway.

Cola

1 Like

600w blurple going in tomorrow. Shed has many light leaks so that tents staying zipped after dark until I can get that dealt with.

Cola

6 Likes

They’re home.

Cola

5 Likes

So. Saturday afternoon. No plans and a big pile of extrusion. (It’s big when you see the cost of the fucker) but I had this in the shed from another project.

Cola

3 Likes

This is what I came up with…

I’m in a 120x60x150cm tent so trying to come up with an idea to illuminate a full canopy nicely.

Frame is 110x56cm
Extrusion lengths (2020)
2x110cm
2x106cm
2x52cm

M5 washers x 24
M5 t sliders x 24
M5 x 10mm Allen bolts
2020 corner joins x12.

Still working out what wattage I plan to run and potential spacing.

Is it worth running solstrips (or a cheaper equivalent) either side of the middle cob track?

Cluo48 1212’s will be my chip choice.

Using Arctic f11 cpu coolers to dissipate heat. (rated 95w each) my cobs won’t push anywhere near that. Used passive heatsinks last build and made it majorly heavy.

Any ideas/suggestions all welcome.

Cola

6 Likes

Eb Strips, SolStrips, any LM561C Based strip is going to do nothing but help you have a more even lighting profile.

Mounting to your frame would be the fun part with SolStrips. They are about 45-46cm wide you’d have to cobble something together to make it work if you got the heatsinks too. The new X2 generation has better thermal design and comes with black anodized heatsinks… I want them too lol. (Oh, and for the same low price they always have been)

3 Likes

I’m sure that’s the same chips in my cobs too…
Good choice, what cri you thinking of…?!
Your progressing quickly mate no hanging about eh…
Happy growing…
Gaz

1 Like

Will be the 90 cri mate.

5 x citizen CLU048-1212C4-353H6M3-F1
£50

5 x holders
£16

Hlg185 c1400b (I want an external potentiometer this time)
£71

5 x Arctic f11 cpu coolers
£50

Cobs strips and fans are all to run on separate drivers.

2 Likes

46cm wide? Or long? I expected each strip to be about an inch wide. So would have used a bit of aluminium stock the length of the frame.

Long, sorry bout that. Still waking up. they are only about an inch wide.

1 Like

So 2 strips would run the length then quite nicely :blush:

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. two on each side :slight_smile:

And a driver for the strips,

HLG-150H-24(A or B)
You could run them between 30-40w per strip with this driver.

1 Like

Now we’re on the same page. That’s why I made the wider frame rather than following a linear setup. Ooh I’m getting excited now bro

1 Like

I think you will be happier with the SolStrips than the COBs. The smaller diodes are not only more efficient, it also privide better penetration due to the multiple angles of light. Im building myself a new SolStrip as well.

I bought 6 strips with with heatsinks and the HLG-240H-24B from mouser. I have another Cree light with 4x CXB3590 running with an HLG-240H-1750B as a comparison and I am liking the strips better than the COBs and dimming is a great option!

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying @ReikoX
I was planning on running the cobs probably 3000k In a line in the middle. And then some strips closer to 4000k either side. Both would be able to switch. Meaning I could use the strips through veg and the cobs as an addition in bloom.

I did say in a previous post I would be using an external potentiometer for dimming. (That will be both cobs and strips).

My maths so far. Just for the cobs.

5 x citizen cluo481212 rated max 116w ish.
Running on a meanwell hlg185h c1400.

Would give 51.8w @1400ma a chip. Pushing about 36.4v
Not factored in 6% driver loss here.

In all honesty they will probably sit around 700ma anyway giving about 26w a chip. That’s efficient enough for me as a bloom booster.

Cola

3 Likes

I’m excited to see how it works for you. Got your care package put together. I’ll drop by the post office this week.

3 Likes

I’m getting mine for him together next week. He should have lots of choices by the time we’re all through with him haha.

2 Likes

I’d like to thank you both kindly. I’ve made the mrs aware I need to sideline a couple hundred £ for this build over the next month or 2. That’s me doing the dishes for weeks :joy:

I don’t have a specific timescale and I’m gonna update the light build progress In this thread instead of creating a new one.

The cob side of things is pretty much dealt with.

Strips are much more difficult/costly to come by over here. So need to do some plotting for them. Any links you can send greatly appreciated folks

Cola

4 Likes

www.solstrip.com is the only link you need. @Baudelaire ships very affordably across the pond.

The other thing, if you get the driver from him at the same time, specify your power plug requirement and he will have the driver ready to run as well IIRC.

2 Likes