Common Traits Of Males & Females When Breeding

I pick though my plants. I’ll plant several seeds. I’ll cut what I don’t like. How a seed comes up. If it rolls up. How long is that stage compared to others I planted at the same time. Good stuff. I didn’t know you had a seed company. Good for you. I’m happy that you love doing what , you love.

3 Likes

I dont. Not really. Just a dream of one is all. May I never wake up.

2 Likes

I hear ya. Your grammar is very good you seem very intelligent. Mine is very bad. I’ll think about it to many things at one time

3 Likes

Grammar is over-rated, it’s all made up and arbitrary anyway.

The business I already have is apart from and not weed related. But I can do it from home and that gives me much latitude to work on growing and breeding. Moving in 6 months or so and looking at 10-15 acres properties outside of town. That will help a lot.

2 Likes

I have those dreams trust me. That’s why I’m up right now and can’t sleep.

2 Likes

That didn’t come out right delete. Lol I have been doing a lot of reading. Nice meeting you. @FiveGar

2 Likes

Great response, thanks for your input.

1 Like

Some really good input here. I to am interested in Breeding. More along the lines of how things work together. My idea is to not look for specific plants but populations. I’m going to start with a base and see how this or that group of males pass things. I have been reading a great book by Carol Deppe breeding your own vegetable varieties. It’s really insightful. Someone said it above the thing we all have to start with are goals as arbitrary as they may be. I appreciate everyone’s input and thanks to the OP for the question. Stay Airborne my friends!!!

3 Likes

Keeping mothers/fathers/clones and running em over and over in different controlled pairings and breedings is the best, if slowest, way I can think of to really get to know your plants and what they pass down, if you want to make a true “strain”. Diff if you are doing preservation.

But the more seeds you give away for others the more data you can get about genetic diversity, phenos in the genetic population, flowring attributes, and everything else in the least amount of time. Moral of the story, breed however you want, BUT GIVE ME SOMMA THOSE SWEET SWEET SEEDS YO!!!

8 Likes

Question: Why does the average grower, for flower or extract, want late blooming fathers? I can see why later blooming males benefit seed producers (the females are further along into flower when the males start dropping pollen), but not entirely sure why it’s a plus for sinsimilla producers.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear someone say this because I wasn’t sure folks would even believe me. Mine is a C99x Herijuana male, that is hollow stemmed, extremely resilient in less than ideal outdoor conditions, and has a deeper aroma (hard to describe) than your typical ‘weed’.

I wanted to do a nuance test to see if I could get any insight into its characteristics and ended up with a decent buzz just from vaporizing some of the upper leaves - no flowers at all. It was way beyond nuance and I was very surprised.

Anyone else smoke males to try to see what they’re like? I am assuming this may carry over to their progeny, but I know that’s not too scientific.

5 Likes

@cannaloop I have had the same experience…that’s why I don’t go in other forums much. It seems a lot of young people know more about weed than I do although I been tokin since before their parents were born
I suspect that my pineapple thai may be adescendant of c99…that may explain it

2 Likes

For flower or extract, you don’t need any males at all. I’m confused by your question? This topic is specifically on breeding, where your later blooming males are usually the better ones to use.

The general consensus from a lot of breeders is, the later flowering males tend to be slower growers too, therefore carrying more recessive traits and/or being less dominant in the cross. The other half of this thought is if you take any strain and throw all the beans outside and come back in 5 years, it’s more than likely going to be significantly worse than when you started. If that is so, the logical conclusion is that it is likely due to the early flowering males getting priority in natural open pollination breeding. Therefore you shouldn’t use the early males unless you have to.

5 Likes

@HolyAngel ive never heard it put that way before, that’s super easy to get my head around and makes a ton of sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Sounds like a lot of correlation.

It is really… I haven’t seen any white paper on it or anything. This is just me repeating everything I’ve ever read and already collated into a concise thought. There’s other things to look for too. Bodhi usually looks for resinous males, primarily before all other traits. But the later flowering thing seems to be what a lot of breeders say to do.

5 Likes

We go with the best we got. Thanks for adding to the info. I would say the late flowering wouldnt matter to other traits unless they are genetically linked to the late flowering trait. Some indeed maybe.

If it isnt linked then it would be independant of the other traits and just make the resulting offspring get some of the later flowering trait. Just because rando pollenation MAY produce less of what you want doesnt mean late pollenators strategically used produce more desired non-flowering time related traits.

It sounds more like anecdotal evidence turning to “common knowledge” and legend like sexing seeds by spots and stripes. LOTS of anecdotal evidence supports that, but is a bunch of bunk. “Sounds right” as a reason for going with anecdotes always scares me a bit, biases being what they are and getting in the way of the truth and all.

I am VERY skeptical of anecdotal evidence as it really isnt data at all from an objective, scientific stand point. No amount of anecdotes will ever be objective data. But, then again, doesnt mean AT ALL that it isnt true either. Sometimes correlation does indeed turn out to be causation in a given instance, even if you cannot prove it yet.

3 Likes

Right. The only instance that male flowering time would come into question for me, would be after all other chosen traits have been accounted for. And only then if I need to limit the amount of plants I have or a chosen goal. If I have a few males that match the girl(s), I’d just get all their pollen and mix it before using. But it just depends on the chosen goal and the plants you got. Sometimes the choice is real easy :joy:

Regardless, testing needs done, clones made, and results logged, before anyone could definitively say either way. Not just for long flowering but any trait or general improvement. And even then, that’s likely only to apply to just that one particular cross you’re doing it with.

5 Likes

I’m also certainly just rephrasing, but my question was essentially why is it advantageous to your average grower to have later flowering males (it’s clearly advantageous to someone who is making seeds and may well continue to make seeds if they should line work the offspring, because a later flowering male is more likely to drop pollen when females are already well into flower and there are more flower sites to pollinate). I’m in no position to opine about whether later flowering males are less dominant than earlier flowering plants (though breeders often also say they look for vigorous growth in choice males, which seems to run a little counter to slower growing males). You may well be right that there are other positive traits associated with late flowering males that are actually advantageous to someone growing for flower. I don’t think I’ve come across that explanation as of yet.

A bit of a tangent, but I don’t think the “5 years of open pollination leads to poorer outcomes” logic really applies here, that’s five years with no selection of males or females. I wasn’t suggesting early flowering males are so positive they should be used across the board, only questioning why someone might specifically exclude early flowering males that otherwise have desirable traits.

3 Likes

You’d exclude them based on what I stated others have excluded them for (dragging the line down), based on no factual evidence but their own observation and hearsay.

Other than that, it’s just goals. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes